What's new

Experiences with Shavemac "Pure" brushes?

Does anyone have a Shavemac in Pure badger? If so, what's it like?

Details about knot size and loft would be appreciated... FYI, I'm a fan of 22mm and smaller brushes with good springiness and dense packing, for face lathering, mostly soaps but some creams as well.

Rudy Vey made me a brush with a small (19mm?) Shavemac Pure badger head. I love it. It makes rich lather from soap and cream efficiently, and the lather hits my face with a pleasant slight scritch and, to me, just the right amount of backbone. As a bonus, it dries more quickly than a lot of Best knots. So it’s good for travel.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Shavemac's Pure is actually a quite decent quality hair. It has some banding, but not so clear defined as in another three band hair quality. It has some scritch, but not unpleasant. From my personal experience, it is way better than any other pure I have tried.

Shavemac's pure badger is a very good quality pure. Mine has a 23mm fan knot set at 53 mm loft in a handle purchased through Etsy. It's a pretty dense knot with a three band appearance and whips up lather well. I face lather so I notice some scritch and good backbone. The hairs look to be carefully selected and put together well just don't expect it to behave like a best badger. The other pure badgers I've used were from Simpsons and Whipped dog and the Shavemac is better.

Shavemac's Pure is actually a quite decent quality hair. It has some banding, but not so clear defined as in another three band hair quality. It has some scritch, but not unpleasant. From my personal experience, it is way better than any other pure I have tried.

Trust Rudy!! :a29:

I finally answered my own question by ordering one late last year and it was a letdown compared to my recent experiences with Simpson's "pure" knots :(

The 20mm X 46mm lofted fan shaped knot isn't very densely packed at all and IMO it's far too floppy for face lathering, if you bowl or palm lather and don't want any scrubbiness then it would be a sweet little brush, but aside from the gorgeous handle it fails on all counts for my shave ...well, not really, I can easily make and spread lather with it, but the knot on face experience isn't at all to my taste.

I finally answered my own question by ordering one late last year and it was a letdown compared to my recent experiences with Simpson's "pure" knots :(

The 20mm X 46mm lofted fan shaped knot isn't very densely packed at all and IMO it's far too floppy for face lathering, if you bowl or palm lather and don't want any scrubbiness then it would be a sweet little brush, but aside from the gorgeous handle it fails on all counts for my shave ...well, not really, I can easily make and spread lather with it, but the knot on face experience isn't at all to my taste.

Sorry you aren’t happy with your brush. Matter of taste. I like the combo of a less dense knot with tips I can feel and good heat and lather retention. You might like a Shavemac 2-band DO1 knot. They’re too stiff for me.

Funny you should mention that, I have a Shavemac 20mm finest lofted as low as they offer and I love it!

Top Bottom