What's new

Experience with Derby Blade

My experience with the Derby Blade today. I gave them a shot, thanks a lot Scott!

I didn't change my shave soap(despite getting a package of Omega Cream and Taylors Sandalwood today) so that I would not change another variable. I lathered up with my Will G soap and am still using my Merkur Long Classic. I did 3 passes, with grain, across grain, and against grain. I could definately feel more drag with the razor as I went against the grain. I nicked myself about as much as I did with the Merkur blade I tried originally(quite a few small nicks), but the results were really nice. It was a much closer shave than with the Israeli blades. If I had to rank a closeness of shave with 10 being the closest, I'd give the Israelis about a 6 and the Derby/Merkur about an 8-9. Everything just feels so smooth. I just don't know why I'm nicking myself so much with this and the Merkur blades. I know the nicks are coming on the against the grain pass(there was no blood before that) when using the Derby/Merkur. With the Israeli, it feels so smooth and doesn't drag at all, I could probably do 10 passes if I wanted to with no irritation/nicks.

I guess the Derby/Merkurs are sharper than the Israeli, and that extra sharpness is resulting in much better results, but much more blood. Any advice from people who have gone through similar situations? Also, is it common for most people to nick themselves the first time they use a blade(or does that problem fade after you get more experience?). Thanks guys, and wow, my face feels so nice!

ketan889 said:
My experience with the Derby Blade today. I gave them a shot, thanks a lot Scott!

I didn't change my shave soap(despite getting a package of Omega Cream and Taylors Sandalwood today) so that I would not change another variable. I lathered up with my Will G soap and am still using my Merkur Long Classic. I did 3 passes, with grain, across grain, and against grain. I could definately feel more drag with the razor as I went against the grain. I nicked myself about as much as I did with the Merkur blade I tried originally(quite a few small nicks), but the results were really nice. It was a much closer shave than with the Israeli blades. If I had to rank a closeness of shave with 10 being the closest, I'd give the Israelis about a 6 and the Derby/Merkur about an 8-9. Everything just feels so smooth. I just don't know why I'm nicking myself so much with this and the Merkur blades. I know the nicks are coming on the against the grain pass(there was no blood before that) when using the Derby/Merkur. With the Israeli, it feels so smooth and doesn't drag at all, I could probably do 10 passes if I wanted to with no irritation/nicks.

I guess the Derby/Merkurs are sharper than the Israeli, and that extra sharpness is resulting in much better results, but much more blood. Any advice from people who have gone through similar situations? Also, is it common for most people to nick themselves the first time they use a blade(or does that problem fade after you get more experience?). Thanks guys, and wow, my face feels so nice!

Hi Ketan,

Did you get these blades off EBay? I know there was a person auctioning "Parker" razors on EBay and he was including these blades with the purchase of every razor. Because of this, I just assumed he was also selling the blades on EBay. I had seen the blades but was a bit leery of them after I found out that the razor itself was manufactured in India and was shall I say... of substandard quality...

I also had been using Merkur blades but just the other day my order of European Gillette blades arrived and let's just say I can definitely feel the difference between these Gillette’s and the Merkur blades. I encourage you to give the Gillette’s a shot. Here is the site in which I got my blades.

Cheers,

Joe

http://www.auravita.com/products/AURA/GILL12120.asp

Hi,
Yes they were the blades purchased from ebay(however, no razor was with this deal, just 100 blades). I'm guessing its my technique that needs work(my skin is still pretty young and not toughened up yet as well). Maybe I should stick to the Derbys but not use them against the grain. That would still yield about the same shave as using the Israelis against the grain(don't know why I can't get a close shave with those).

i got derby blades from him, i also have the long handle parker razor. there is nothing wrong with the razor, i think it shaves great, especially for $12 new. when people talk about derby's they get them from ebay, I assume. they are catching on around these parts.

i used a derby for the first time today, i felt my whiskers getting cut on the first pass moreso than with israelis. the shave i got was fantastic, no cuts or nicks. i've only nicked myself once so far, just try to be a little more careful I guess.

Seems to me there are a few differant makers of the same brand blades. I would like something better than the Gillette blades I buy at CVS (a pharmacy store like Walgrrens) and would like to try new ones to find what works better for me. some say personna and others say derby..while these products are not availible to me locally, (like Proroso products) i look to the internet to buy them.
This is a Persona blade that says made in the usa on the blade
http://www.folica.com/Personna_Double_d1523.html (250 for $40.00)
i can find others made in different parts of the world. but ebay shows some made in isreal and i found a company in china called Darwin Solingen Sword Shanghai Co.,Ltd. that makes blades (per spec)...

geez, many choices. for a newbie, what is a tried and true choice to use?

the israeli ones on ebay are a good deal, most everybody likes them.

derbys on ebay are a good deal, not as many people have used them but the ones who have have good things to say about them. i like them, only used it once so far, but for $20 you can't go wrong. some people compare them to the merkurs which are $5 for 10. these are much cheaper for a very similar blade.

i'd get both israelis and derbys or find someone to trade with and each pick up 100, then trade 50.

Top Bottom