What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

Hit double-digits (shave number 10) on a Feather Hi-Stainless. I hadn't shaved with a Feather in over a year. This is the first time I have tried to extend the shaving life of one. Nicked myself the first three shaves, but the blade settled in and I got wonderful shaved from 4 to 9. Today's was a little less close, but it could have been the prep and lather.

I know some folks here have had high shave counts with the Feather. I just hope to make it to the end of the month. I'm doing a one-razor-all-month challenge with a Schick Krona and I'd rather not swap out blades this close to the end of March.

14 shaves on an Astra SP, going for at least 21. Some time after 21 is when the GSB started to fall off. No change in efficiency so far.

I'm up to 10 WTG/ATG head shaves with a Gillette Silver Blue. There is more hair to cut on my dome than my face. Still getting BBS, but efficiency seems to be dropping.

I guess I'll have to test how long a single blade will last for face and head shaves. I typically only use Feathers on my dome, I like other blades better for my face.

Hit a new high with wilkinson sword super sword... Got to shave#29. I probably could have gone a few more but wanted to start fresh with the slant I'm borrowing. Going with a feather, will update.
Totals:
Feather- 22
Israeli personna- 12
Wilkinson Sword Super Sword Edge- 29
Voskhod- 9

Gents,

Inspired by this thread I'm launching my own Excalibur quest.

My setup is fairly simple: a NDC Super Speed, Proraso Omega brush, modern Williams Mug Soap, and Gillette 7:00 Black blades. I use one blade per month and get 26-28 great two-pass (WTG + XTG) shaves. In terms of blade maintenance I do nothing more than soak it in rubbing alcohol for a fewminutes after the shave, shake it off and air dry. I also flip the blade over in the razor on the 15th of the month.

So, since we've reached the end of the month, I'll flip the blade back over and ride it out and see how far it gets me. I'll report back in every week or so, or when the blade expires.

Cheers!
-Greg

Shaved the whole month with a single razor, a Schick Krona. I was interested in what blade life would be like with this razor. Got 14 shaves from a NOS Schick blade--just their run-of-the-mill DE blades--nothing special, and 13 shaves from a Feather Hi-Stainless before I binned it.

With the Krona month over and there being life still in the old Schick blade, I moved it to a Gillette Red Tip for shave 15. Two passes and some touch up for a pretty decent shave. Some tugging but I think my prep was off and I was trying a new soap for the first time.

Are these the Grand Totals for these blades Joe? Or have you put them to the side to continue at a later date?

Those are my totals for the blades so far. I hadn't set any aside to reuse currently. Back to using a feather right now.

Recently bought a Mongoose. My first blade was a Feather ProGuard with now 15 shaves on it. I am itching to try a Feather Pro Super, but this ProGuard still has some shaves left in it...

Personna Red (20) :001_wub:

That's my best count so far. Previous best was 16 (also on a Personna Red). Shaves are still fine and comfortable (so I'll see how far this one takes me).

My (now) only razor is a Fatip Piccolo which I love. I average a shave every two days which is very easy with this razor/blade combo, considering that I have heavy and prolific growth. I also find it easy to shave daily or mow down a near beard every four days, whatever my whim.

With the help of this thread (and B&B in general) my technique, lathering, etc is constantly improving. So one day I hope to be able to remove my Excalibur "neophyte" label...
maybe even hit three figures! :w00t:

Congrats on the usage of the Red IP.

This blade is somewhat of a hidden gem in my den - I haven't really taken it seriously until just recently. I think James (OP and Club master of Excalibur) is spot on right when he stated that at some point in the evolvement of the individual shaving technique the matter of what blade to use seems to play a lesser and lesser role for the outcome of the shave.

I loaded the blade into my Techs on the 12th of January and my aim was to do the February One Blade challenge while evaluating which razors I would add to my rotation to facilitate an easy and comfortable standard run of 100+ shaves. I did not expect or presume anything special from the blade as I always had considered it to be one of my lesser blades. I frequently and randomly switched the blade between my Techs and NEW's and even into my NEW Deluxe head while evaluating different vintage handles for the new rotation.

The blade performed so and so during this treatment. After the February challenge and the NEW RFB V Deluxe challenge I returned to my normal weekly routine of changing the razor every Saturday. This calmed down the blade and it showed a very attractive buttery edge from shave 40 or so. I am now at shave 60+ and the blade is very comfortable and stable to use. I will run it thru my Aristocrats beginning next week and I expect at least five weeks of daily comfortable shaves from this underrated gem. I will keep you informed about the outcome of this long run.

Enjoy your shaves gents!

I retired my GEM carbon steel blade after 30 shaves. I could have gotten more, but the shaves were falling off. Stubble was appearing sooner than I like, so in the bin it goes.

Congrats on the usage of the Red IP.
Thank you Bosse. :001_smile

This blade is somewhat of a hidden gem in my den - I haven't really taken it seriously until just recently. I think James (OP and Club master of Excalibur) is spot on right when he stated that at some point in the evolvement of the individual shaving technique the matter of what blade to use seems to play a lesser and lesser role for the outcome of the shave.

I loaded the blade into my Techs on the 12th of January and my aim was to do the February One Blade challenge while evaluating which razors I would add to my rotation to facilitate an easy and comfortable standard run of 100+ shaves. I did not expect or presume anything special from the blade as I always had considered it to be one of my lesser blades. I frequently and randomly switched the blade between my Techs and NEW's and even into my NEW Deluxe head while evaluating different vintage handles for the new rotation.

The blade performed so and so during this treatment. After the February challenge and the NEW RFB V Deluxe challenge I returned to my normal weekly routine of changing the razor every Saturday. This calmed down the blade and it showed a very attractive buttery edge from shave 40 or so. I am now at shave 60+ and the blade is very comfortable and stable to use. I will run it thru my Aristocrats beginning next week and I expect at least five weeks of daily comfortable shaves from this underrated gem. I will keep you informed about the outcome of this long run.
Please do. I always look forward to your blade shave number updates and summaries. :thumbup1:
Do you find the blades you've tested on long runs change-with-use characteristics are similar, or greatly different?

Enjoy your shaves gents!
Definitely! :w00t:

Do you find the blades you've tested on long runs change-with-use characteristics are similar, or greatly different?
The change in the character of the blade is amazingly similar; first roughness, then "buttery edge" and lastly diminishing cutting capacity.

The roughness phase is first noticed after the blade loses its initial sharpness, probably due to the coating disappearing.

The "buttery edge" is a term the straight razor guys use to describe an edge that is not at its maximum sharpness but very comfortable, more so than when the edge is newly honed. This phase lasts for a very long time (well over 50 shaves) on a really good blade, like my Polsilvers, Black Indian 7 o'clocks and the Feather.

When the edge gets even more used there is a need for additional cleaning up after my two main passes. This is where I have to take a decision as to when to stop using the blade. I never compromise on the quality of the shave, it's always BBS, but the five o'clock shadow will appear sooner on a blade that is approaching its limit.

Hope this helps!

The change in the character of the blade is amazingly similar; first roughness, then "buttery edge" and lastly diminishing cutting capacity.

The roughness phase is first noticed after the blade loses its initial sharpness, probably due to the coating disappearing.

The "buttery edge" is a term the straight razor guys use to describe an edge that is not at its maximum sharpness but very comfortable, more so than when the edge is newly honed. This phase lasts for a very long time (well over 50 shaves) on a really good blade, like my Polsilvers, Black Indian 7 o'clocks and the Feather.

When the edge gets even more used there is a need for additional cleaning up after my two main passes. This is where I have to take a decision as to when to stop using the blade. I never compromise on the quality of the shave, it's always BBS, but the five o'clock shadow will appear sooner on a blade that is approaching its limit.

Hope this helps!
That’s great Bosse. Thank you very much. :thumbup:

Just to be a total pain (I’m a born detail freak so I can’t help it), would it be possible to give me a rough idea of when those different characteristics are likely to start and stop? That’s based on shave numbers as per the table below.

Typical Sequence of Blade Character Changes over Prolonged Use

ShaveBlade Characteristics
1 - ?? (explanation/details)
? - ?Roughness (explanation/details)
? - ?Buttery Edge
? - XOnset of diminished cutting capacity (explanation/details)
XEnd of useful life.

When I have a good idea of what to expect, it stops me from putting up artificial barriers in my mind. :w00t:

This just might be a question that has some general interest among the Excalibur members.
I also know from experience that the prejudice about how a blade should behave might just be the hardest obstacle to handle in extending blade longevity. So here is my personal view of the number of shaves in each part of the cycle. Keep in mind that I change razor every Saturday

Typical Sequence of Blade Character Changes over Prolonged Use

ShaveBlade Characteristics
1 - 8Devilishly sharp, watch out for weepers when loading into the next razor
9 - 25Roughness as the blade loses its initial sharpness ( coating?)
26 - 80Buttery Edge, smooth sailing
81 - 120Onset of diminished cutting capacity, cleanup needed after two passes
121 - ?End of useful life, as noticed in a longer clean up pass and earlier stubble

I hope this chart will tear down some of the mental barriers that I have had problems in overcoming!

Top Bottom