What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

My son asked for a change of his blade yesterday. I think I have only switched blades once before, so without knowing the exact usage I would conservatively say for the purpose of this thread:

Dorco Titan (100).

:thumbup:
I have seen some good prices online of Dorco Titan (shipping was more thab the price though).

How would you describe it and with which blade would compare it?

I have seen some good prices online of Dorco Titan (shipping was more thab the price though).

How would you describe it and with which blade would compare it?
The Dorco Titan is probably my favourite blade. I have at least stocked up big time. For me it’s the sweet spot of sharpness, comfort and longevity rolled into one blade. First shave is always a little edgy, but after that all smoothness. Particularly for my neck area. I simply love them.

Guido

Last Saturday I tried a fresh blade from Suneko. I found it very sharp and maybe the reason is that I have been using the SuperMax platinum all these days. Today I got the 22th shave with SuperMax Platinium.

I had to dial the right angle on every part of my face to get a DFS shave with the SuperMax. I will give another try or 2 max with this blade and call it the end. I really enjoyed going so far with a DE blade.

I understood that using a fresh blade makes you lazy and gives a great shave effortlessly. Maybe this and the cheap blade costs are the reasons why people toss the blade away after 1 or 2 shaves at minimum.

Personally my new shaving target is over 20 shaves now. It used to be 14 shaves. As I shave 6 days a week, I would need only 15 blades per year. Let's see how it goes!

Today it was the 24th shave with a Super-Max Super Platinum. It was a very pleasant journey this month in this brotherhood. Today I tossed away the blade. I could push it more, but I want to try a Feather blade for February.

Thank you for your communication. I will be back for sure. I had in mind to open a Brotherhood called "One blade per month", but I don't know how many would join in it.

Super-Max Platinum was a very nice blade at the end.

PXL_20240131_070809581.MP.jpg

What a fun thread ... and a fun idea. Before I get started on this, can I ask, are there any "rules" that I need to follow in this blade longevity odessey?

And do you guys strop between uses ...and if so, with what? A regular leather strop for a straight type of razor or one of those vintage curved glass straps?

are there any "rules" that I need to follow in this blade longevity odessey?

And do you guys strop between uses ...and if so, with what? A regular leather strop for a straight type of razor or one of those vintage curved glass straps?
No rules that I'm aware of. Shave with a blade until it no longer provides shaves that you enjoy or meet your expectations.

I do not strop my blades. If fact, the only time I touch a blade is when I move it between razors. I might clean off the crud, but I try not to do anything that might damage the blades beyond what shaving does.

Do whatever to please your blade and it awards you !
Light touch, swallow angle, sliding motion is what I do. But who am I, not a excalibur guy. My max blade life was 40 shaves. ... halfblade was 39 shaves - almost excalibur!

Shave count does not matter. Long blade life is testimony of good technique (or goatee or light beard).

Thank you. It sounds like fun and I'm going to give this a try. I've always found the blade a bit "tuggy" after 3 or so shaves. Is that everyone's usual experience? Maybe I just need to "soldier on" and move past that. Anyway, i will let you all know how I'm going!
More or less perhaps, but it’s very dependent on the blade at hand. Tiger Platinum definitely has decreasing performance and so do Astras for me. But a KCG is a keep on going blade.

The main thing is that sometimes a blade can spring back to life in a different razor and with different lather/circumstances.

What a fun thread ... and a fun idea. Before I get started on this, can I ask, are there any "rules" that I need to follow in this blade longevity odessey?

There is one rule. Enjoy your journey of pushing your prefered blade over the limit.

I really had fun pushing a Super-Max blade (I picked it randomly) at 24th shaves for the first time after some years of shaving.

As part of the thread one blade only for February, I am at 17 shaved with a Feather blade. I am aiming for 20 - 21 shaves with it (even though I feel the blade is still plenty sharp)

This seems to be the second month and I use a blade only for a month. I have used only 2 blades primarily this year with 41 shaves. That would translate into 16-18 blades per year. If I buy 100 feather blades as I plan to soon, then it would be wise to not buy anymore blades but enjoy what I have already. Dangerous thought this one.

Health limited me to sporadic shaves over the last few months until the last week when I got back on the proverbial horse. Except for the gem I’ve had in my Everready, I’ve started over on blades. I’ve got a Feat her soft guard AC, an Israeli Personna red, a Nacet, and a Gillette that came with a Tech I bought that I’m rotating through.

Top Bottom