What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

Today, the 12th shaving with the Astra Superior Stainless blade. Until 2 months ago, I didn't think it was possible. To use a blade more than 5-7 times without feeling alume block after shaving, it seemed impossible! I saw @coolcanuc posts, I wondered if it's really possible and now I'm already wondering what I will do with my stock of blades if I don't live 300 years!
Thank you guys!
P1130323.JPG

Today, the 13th shaving with the Astra Superior Stainless blade.
I followed your advice and insisted with the preshave. With the Start device from Homelike, the blade was unrealistically sharp and at the same time fine! He cut my beard like a hot knife butter !
My adventure continues! Keep you up to date !
P1130328.JPG

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The current Astra Platinum blade has now been in my Jagger DE3D14 for two months. I don't count shaves anymore, but have used it every 1-2 days. This is certainly the longest lasting blade I've had since signing up at Badger and Blade, and has done at least 40 shaves. I have had even longer lasting blades in the past though.

I haven't done anything differently to normal in terms of method, it's just worn without chipping, which most blades do not. Even these Astra blades only normally give me around 25 shaves before it's time for a new blade. It felt a little tired on the first pass today, but the second pass was effortless.

I don't think the lather is significantly improved either. My three current options are Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera mug soap, Phoenix and Beau Achilles Last Stand, and London Oatcake Mahogany. All give me great shaves, but so do many of the other soaps i've used along the way.

I have cleaned and flipped the blade three times, I think, and the first two times I did that, it felt like a fresh blade again. Not so much on the third time, which I think was just a couple of shaves ago. I may have inadvertently applied a little pressure today, as I did need a dose of Nivea Men Skin and Stubble lotion afterwards. That may be due to an increase in cutting resistance, but I think it still has a few more shaves to give.

I only take blades out if the get too much soap scum built up on them.

Have to retire the Gillette Silver Blue I've been using one day a week for a couple years, there is a difference between a "buttery" blade and one that cuts like butter. Way too much stubble tonight and way too much fiddling about getting yesterday's stubble off this morning. Not bad, 121 shaves.

Next blade up is a Blue Diamond Super Platinum. Wonder how long it will last?

I only take blades out if the get too much soap scum built up on them.

Have to retire the Gillette Silver Blue I've been using one day a week for a couple years, there is a difference between a "buttery" blade and one that cuts like butter. Way too much stubble tonight and way too much fiddling about getting yesterday's stubble off this morning. Not bad, 121 shaves.

Next blade up is a Blue Diamond Super Platinum. Wonder how long it will last?
121 is pretty sweet

(Sent from mobile)

Parker Semi Slant
Astra Superior Stainless (27)

This morning, the Astra SS blade showed the first signs of fatigue. In Parker Semi Slant made a lot of noise. Could it be a sign that he is tired and wants to rest? Overall a good shave, no irritation. I will continue with another slant razor tomorrow morning.

Nacet at 450

Razor: Timeless - Titanium .68 - Solid Bar
Blade: Gillette - Nacet (450)
Lather: Valobra Hard Soap - Cologne
Brush: Simpson - Duke 3 Manchurian Badger (3 uses)

Now's a great time to pause and play around with other blades!

(all but maybe 2 of these shaves are on YouTube, btw)

Top Bottom