What's new

EVO or STF?

Hi, this question may have been asked before. But I'm wondering between a STF and a EVO 2.0. I'm looking for a synthetic brush mainly for face lathering:

1. I want it to be soft yet not floppy.

2. I want the brush to splay easily. I have tried a STF and I knew that it would splay easily, but how is the EVO?

3. Is the glue bump still a problem for the EVO 2.0?

Thanks.

Currently, I own a Simpson Trafalgar T3, and I consider it to be not well-splayed. So I would prefer something much easier to splay than the T3.

I really enjoy my extra large (25mm) STF. The Evo V2 on the other hand was so uncomfortable when splayed that I threw it in the bin.

If it helps, I face lather exclusively. As far as technique goes, I'll do 5 or 6 swirls with a splayed brush and 2 or 3 painting strokes and repeat that sequence until I'm happy with the lather.

I have the Trafalgar T2 and I understand your experience. I found that it took about 30 shave for the Trafalgar to break in. The tips do become a little bit softer, but it's the splay of the brush that definitely improves. I know that synthetics are not supposed to have a break in period, but that's not really true.

If you want something that has some backbone but has softer tips and better splay, I would recommend the Yaqi Sagrada Familia or another tuxedo knot. If you want something that is much softer and has a little bit of backbone, I would recommend the Yaqi Purple handle Mink Knot.

I have the 19 mm version of the EJ STF. The tips of the Sagrada Familia are equal in softness to the STF and about the same amount of force is required for the splay. The Mink knot tips are much softer and it is easier to splay the brush.

Unlike badger and boar brushes, the splay of synthetic brushes is springy and unnatural. In that regard the mink knot is a huge improvement.

I primarily face lather and splay my Mühle STF (25mm) rather easily.

You'll read about this technique in various threads on synthetics, and it holds true for the STF (at least the way the Mühle is set in its handle): to begin the splay, position the brush either on the point of your chin or at either of the hinges at the base of your jaw. Once you do that, it splays nicely, holds its splay, and is soft on the face.

I can't speak to how this compares with various animal hair brushes, but it seems to be that badger lovers consider this to be a non-starter for them. It's not a big deal, but it's worth mentioning for those who think it is :straight:

... Thom

Last edited:
I’ll agree with pretty much everyone here, the STF seems to be what you’re looking for in terms of splaying but not being floppy. The EVO definitely has much more similar backbone to a T3. Although the fibres are different, the EVO and T3 both have shorter lofts that restrict splay. So I’d say the STF is the clear choice for your needs IMO.

Pretty much what I came here to say. Rudy Vey makes some of the most loved brushes on this forum and, AP have a wide variety of synthetic knots and Andrew has answered my many inquiries in the past with helpful emails. I recently ordered a titanium synth knot which is similar to the Simpson platinum fibres. I’m really enjoying it. Good luck!
There are EVO and numerous STF brushes in my den.

The STF is my favorite synthetic knot.

Have @Rudy Vey or Andrew at @apshaveco build a brush to your specifications.

You won't be sorry. :)

There are EVO and numerous STF brushes in my den.

The STF is my favorite synthetic knot.

Have @Rudy Vey or Andrew at @apshaveco build a brush to your specifications.

You won't be sorry. :)
This. I’ve had all 3 and more …. and for easy splay and overall best knot get the STF 25mm. I like it lofted at ~57mm. I have 2 AP Shave co and love them.

At this point you probably already bought something.

STF for me too, by a mile. It’s excellent and as good as it gets.

I didn’t like the Evo 2.0 at all - it’s very springy, hard to splay, and tiring to keep it splayed as it is always fighting back. I actually feel the Evo 2.0 is the only knot I’ve ever used that I actively hated using. Some people like them, though, so YMMV.

STF for me too, by a mile. It’s excellent and as good as it gets.

I didn’t like the Evo 2.0 at all - it’s very springy, hard to splay, and tiring to keep it splayed as it is always fighting back. I actually feel the Evo 2.0 is the only knot I’ve ever used that I actively hated using. Some people like them, though, so YMMV.
I think you just described the STF XL that I recently received from APShaveCo and have been using exclusively the past couple weeks!! The closest comparison I can think of off the top of my head is the original Tuxedo knots that came out back in 2017 (?) or so. If it weren't for the fact that if I can see the cup a couple mm's below the handle, I'd say it's not the Muhle STF knot and especially the one that everyone keeps describing as the best synthetic knot made!! All 3 of my TurnNShave knots are miles ahead of this one...

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I can't speak to the EVO 2.0, but I have the original. It's a very nice brush with soft tips and a generous amount of backbone. I find it a touch difficult to keep splayed. If I start on my chin and go from there I'm good above the jawline, but my neck doesn't appreciate quite that much backbone.

The STF is much easier to splay, but it has a touch less backbone than I like. So you have to decide what's more important to you. No doubt the best of both worlds would be to have Rudy set the STF to your liking.

I can't speak to the EVO 2.0, but I have the original. It's a very nice brush with soft tips and a generous amount of backbone. I find it a touch difficult to keep splayed. If I start on my chin and go from there I'm good above the jawline, but my neck doesn't appreciate quite that much backbone.

The STF is much easier to splay, but it has a touch less backbone than I like. So you have to decide what's more important to you. No doubt the best of both worlds would be to have Rudy set the STF to your liking.
Not sure if this last part was in anyway directed at my post but I'm not sure if Rudy can make an STF brush completely to my liking other than a handle so it's more comfortable to hold and in line with my other 3 brushes, but the knot can't be set any higher than what APShaveCo did or myself if I were to do it. If I move the fibers at the handle I can actually see the cup that the knot is set in and I'm just spitballin' here but don't think the maybe 2mm difference in height to bring the cup even with the top of the handle would give any relief to the backbone this brush has... I'm not ready to throw in the towel on it yet but getting awfully close!! I'm afraid to use one of my other brushes for fear I will never pick the STF XL up ever again!!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Not sure if this last part was in anyway directed at my post but I'm not sure if Rudy can make an STF brush completely to my liking other than a handle so it's more comfortable to hold and in line with my other 3 brushes, but the knot can't be set any higher than what APShaveCo did or myself if I were to do it. If I move the fibers at the handle I can actually see the cup that the knot is set in and I'm just spitballin' here but don't think the maybe 2mm difference in height to bring the cup even with the top of the handle would give any relief to the backbone this brush has... I'm not ready to throw in the towel on it yet but getting awfully close!! I'm afraid to use one of my other brushes for fear I will never pick the STF XL up ever again!!
I think you just described the STF XL that I recently received from APShaveCo and have been using exclusively the past couple weeks!! The closest comparison I can think of off the top of my head is the original Tuxedo knots that came out back in 2017 (?) or so. If it weren't for the fact that if I can see the cup a couple mm's below the handle, I'd say it's not the Muhle STF knot and especially the one that everyone keeps describing as the best synthetic knot made!! All 3 of my TurnNShave knots are miles ahead of this one...

This is the exact opposite of my experiences with STF XL brushes I have from both Rudy and Andrew. I'd have to see pics of the brush in question to be able to offer additional feedback.

This is the exact opposite of my experiences with STF XL brushes I have from both Rudy and Andrew. I'd have to see pics of the brush in question to be able to offer additional feedback.
That is what I've been saying since receiving it that it is opposite of what others have said. There are a couple pics listed in the links below...

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
That is what I've been saying since receiving it that it is opposite of what others have said. There are a couple pics listed in the links below...

Yup...it seems that we perceive the STF differently - which is no problem at all. :)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It most assuredly was not directed at your post. I have absolutely no personal knowledge about brush making - I just know that Rudy has a reputation for pleasing his customers. Sorry if I implied more than that.

Top Bottom