What's new

Everyday Writing Pen

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Fountain Pen all of the time, at home as well. I am not sure Jody and I even have a ball point in the house anymore.

The only time I don't use a fountain pen is when I have to sign cards at work. Someone always buys shiny cards and I had one incident where the ink didn't dry and it smudged - felt awful to see that on a card that everyone had signed.

Other than that, yes - literally everything else.

Interesting and good tip. As I found out a week ago when doing Xmas cards. I was pissed because there was a lot of smearing and smudging. Some looked awful. I almost threw my FP away. But I have given it another shot. I often have to sign cards at work. I will use a different pen. Thanks

I use a Pilot Custom 74 for my everyday business writing and also have a Pilot Metropolitan ballpoint in my bag for when a ball point is needed. I use my Pentel 0.5mm Kerry pencil often for manual math calculations. It is a must-have for me.

I use a Pilot Custom 74 for my everyday business writing and also have a Pilot Metropolitan ballpoint in my bag for when a ball point is needed. I use my Pentel 0.5mm Kerry pencil often for manual math calculations. It is a must-have for me.

That's a good point. I use mechanical pencils a lot. A lot. Likely more than my FPs. As an academic, I read constantly and always with a pencil in my hand: my books are full of marginalia and I want to be able to erase or modify those comments that I later find to be off-base, so pencil it is. I use several MPs. Favorites are: Lamy 2000, a Mitsubishi Pure Malt (barrel made from whiskey barrel oak!), TWSBI Precision, and Rotring Rapid PRO. But none of them are as pleasurable as my FPs.

I only use a fountain pen and it is usually a Lamy Studio. I also carry a Sheaffer 300 which I will use sometimes. I am trying to improve my handwriting right now by using the Sull's American Cursive Handwriting course. It seems to be helping quite a bit because now, for the first time in years, I can actually read my own writing.

I only use a fountain pen and it is usually a Lamy Studio. I also carry a Sheaffer 300 which I will use sometimes. I am trying to improve my handwriting right now by using the Sull's American Cursive Handwriting course. It seems to be helping quite a bit because now, for the first time in years, I can actually read my own writing.

That's cool I've never heard of that course . I have to check it out

I use a fountain pen by choice, but in addition to the thermal paper for credit card receipts, I've another time I have to resort to a ballpoint: multi-part forms. I'm a lawyer, and frequently have to write and sign court minutes, which are a three-part form (one to the court, one to the plaintiff, one to the defendant). Much as I love them, fountain pens just don't work for making copies.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Fountain pen 90%, always carry one or more, at work I sometimes must use a Sharpie or a ball point on slick surfaced labels, etc.

I use FP exclusively at work and at home. I have one that is always inked up with blue ink to sign documents the rest I get to have fun with the colors. I find them to be great conversation starters when I am at meetings and someone notices the pen I'm using.

The only time I DON'T use a FP is when I am working in our hold area at work. The quadruple carbonless forms have such a thin paper that any of my FPs will rip them.
I have recently transitioned from using almost exclusively refurbished Esterbrooks to a trio of Kaweco Sports: Brass, AC (red carbon fiber), and blue Stonewashed AL.

Interesting and good tip. As I found out a week ago when doing Xmas cards. I was pissed because there was a lot of smearing and smudging. Some looked awful. I almost threw my FP away. But I have given it another shot. I often have to sign cards at work. I will use a different pen. Thanks

Blotting paper can be helpful in these situations, but it takes a little practice to use it effectively (without actually causing more smearing), and then you find that you don't need it most of the time, anyway. Even when I'm using dip pens rather than fountain pens, I find that I generally don't need to use it. Rocker blotters make cool desk accessories, though.

A lot of great feedback.

My other question is:

You guys aren't scared of losing your pen because you use it for almost everything.

A lot of great feedback.

My other question is:

You guys aren't scared of losing your pen because you use it for almost everything.

Nope. No more so than my other valuables that go with me (wallet, phone, keys, etc.). I use it when needed and then it always goes back in my pocket. Create a habit and you don't even have to think about it.

Not at all. The last ~decade, the only pen I've legitimately lost (as opposed to left at home or temp misplaced under a notebook, etc) was hanging off my keys on a belt loop. It was a twist-to-open bp & the bottom half fell off someplace while I was out walking, leaving the back half dangling on its split ring.

Now, fps & mech pencils that leave the house with me (other than the couple of Sharpies & a bp I lend out that reside in my pants pocket) do so in Nock Co. cases in my coat. If I'm not actively using a pen/pencil, it's either sitting in front of me or stashed safely in a case.

A lot of great feedback.

My other question is:

I carry a Sheaffer 300 ballpoint pen with me should one of my co-workers need to borrow a pen. I refuse to let anyone use any of my fountain pens. I carry 3 fountain pens and that ball point which almost never gets used. I am as careful with my pens as I am with my car keys.

Top Bottom