What's new

Ever-ready vs Gem

I know Ever Ready and Gem are made by the same company and most are essentially the same razor. I was curious as to which were produced more and which you prefer to use. I have the Gem 1912 and Ever Ready 1912 and prefer to use the Ever Ready...just don't know why.

proxy.php

Because it is a British one, those are better than their US collegues (imho). I also prefer British ERs (1912, 1914 and Streamline).

Alucard73,

I don't know why, but I prefer my English Ever-Ready 1912s over the US made Ever-Ready & GEM 1912 !

Odd, but there you are :smile:

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Guys

Forgive my ignorance, as I have never tried SE. Does 1912 refer to the year of manufacture or is it a model number. I was thinking of trying SE so are the Gem 1912 and Ever Ready 1912 the best (I know depends on each individual) and what finish did they have - gold,silver, brass etc

This is all driven by the fact I have found a supply of blades sourced out of the UK

Thanks

Guys

Forgive my ignorance, as I have never tried SE. Does 1912 refer to the year of manufacture or is it a model number. I was thinking of trying SE so are the Gem 1912 and Ever Ready 1912 the best (I know depends on each individual) and what finish did they have - gold,silver, brass etc

This is all driven by the fact I have found a supply of blades sourced out of the UK

Thanks

1912 is a patent date, so it's a model number. The 1912 is a great first SE. All the ones I have come across have been silver, but I suppose there could have been gold plated ones.

Guys

Thanks

1912 refers to the year this model of razor was first patented. The 1912 model was manufactured for many years after 1912. I believe I have seen 1912 razors is both gold, and silver finishes.

The 1912 model is generally considered to be one of the best in this line; but that is not to say the other models (such as the Micromatic) won't also give wonderful shaves. The general recommendation is to make a 1912 your first SE razor.

Thank you for the clarifications. Can you date them like Gillettes? I have seen one that is described as 'rare brass 1912 Ever Ready and good condition considering it is almost 100 years old' From what you say I might avoid that one but will definately look a gem or Ever Ready

Thanks

Thank you for the clarifications. Can you date them like Gillettes? I have seen one that is described as 'rare brass 1912 Ever Ready and good condition considering it is almost 100 years old' From what you say I might avoid that one but will definately look a gem or Ever Ready

Thanks

"Rare Brass" usually means the plating has worn off, which is a bad thing...sounds like a common user grade 1912, which is good if it is cheap and you plan on using it. And I do not think you can date them past the broad range of years they were manufactured.

Sadly I think you are right and no it's not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. So I shall give it miss and keep looking

Thanks for all the advice

I have both a US made and a UK made ER's. Picked both up in the UK at an antique store in good condition pretty cheap. I tend to favor the UK made one.

"Rare Brass" usually means the plating has worn off, which is a bad thing...sounds like a common user grade 1912, which is good if it is cheap and you plan on using it. And I do not think you can date them past the broad range of years they were manufactured.

I have an Ever-Ready 1912 which I'm pretty sure was always brass. If there was ever any plating, it's long-since vanished. I have a GEM Junior like this as well.

It's very different than say a NEW, where some of the gold wash remains. This is brass.

Top Bottom