What's new

Ever-Ready SE

Hello Gents:

I just purchased an Ever-Ready set at an antique store - razor, chrome case, and chrome box with open end (inside case) I have two questions. First, what is the chrome box for (new or spent blades)? Second, does anyone know how to date an Ever-Ready? The head reads "Patented March 24/14". Any thoughts?

Yours,
Brandon

Well, if you ask it nicely, and bring it flowers, it may go out with you. :tongue_sm

Oh, not that kind of date. :lol:

As far as I know, there is nothing like the Gillette date codes for the Singler Edge razors.

Here's a photo of the razor and case.

This looks similar to the 1914 models (Gem/E.R. patented in 1914) but I would likely date it as a 1917, from what I know (which may not even be correct); I saw something somewhere when I was researching mine - if I find the link I'll post it for you. The thing that makes me say this, at this point, is the handle is a bit different. Again, I will keep looking for the post.

Oh and the box is for the blades-

Last edited:
He's already posted the patent date, and it's a 1914. As has been said, we really can't speculate what year it was manufactured.

FWIW, my favorite of the Ever-Readies.

- Chris

Of course Chris is right - I can't say for certain that your razor is in fact WWI model, but this is kind of neat to look at as well. Got it from a journal on advertising and heck, who knows, yours could be a WWI model - maybe someone will pipe in).

That would be incredible if it was a WWI model! Thank you all so much for your expertise and input. I will continue my quest (with the hope of your continued help, of course). Thanks friends for all of your help!!

Brandon

Sure, no worries. This from the same article:

"Gem Razor Blades were promoted as "the Best blade in the service" (March 23, p. 53). The Ever-Ready Safety Razor (Figure 20--the one I put up) claimed to have been "adopted by Uncle Sam for the Army and Navy" (March 23, p. 97). The advertisements promoted the utility of these goods. They were razors that provided a service to the men in uniform and contributed to the war effort. They were also razors that the consumer could depend on." -The Reframing of Traditional Cultural Values: Consumption and World War I, Monica Brasted

Michael

I think the operative term in this study is "claimed" - that's what she's arguing. Her article emphasizes the role of advertising in furthering consumption ... Little bit of false advertising:

"By promoting its product as being used by the armed forces, these advertisements and others focused on the connection between goods and utility. The possible reasoning behind these advertisements could be that if the product was good enough for use by the Armed Forces then it was good enough for the civilian consumer. Advertisements for shoes, chocolates, lamps, watches, and guns all fell within this category. However, the largest numbers of advertisements within this category were for razors.

Products such as Genco Razors, Gem Razor Blades, AutoStrop Safety Razor, and Ever-Ready Safety Razor each ran advertisements claiming to be used by servicemen. Many of the visual images in the advertisements depicted servicemen either using or holding the advertised product"

I would say his looks like the one in the bottom left corner, minus the ribbon.

Interestingly enough, if you zoom up on it, the set in the lower left was a combination set; it included the razor and an automatic stropping machine (standing up in front of the box). The "ribbon" is the strop that would be used with that.

- Chris

Top Bottom