What's new

Ever-Ready 100T

I seem to have been bitten by the brush making/restoring bug. Since doing my very first restore of my old C40 with a Whipped Dog Black Badger I have restored an Ever-Ready 650PB (solid resin handle) with a TGN finest fan and created my own handle to fit a small 16mm TGN finest knot into. All three of these brushes are great. The first one is a pure badger and is rather loose (used an 18mm knot and set it way too high), but strangely, it works fantastically well, just not an everyday brush because of the scritch. The 650PB with TGN finest fan is in my regular rotation and is a very well loved brush. It is simply wonderful. It ended up with dimensions of 22mm/48mm and is a bit of a lather hog (way dense), but overall an amazing shaving brush. The home made handle with a 16mm TGN finest is an awesome brush. I set this one by gut feel and it ended up with 19mm/44mm. With the TGN finest the backbone is very good and flows amazingly well. A joy to use with really pleasant face feel.

So, now I have been thinking about the Ever-Ready 100T I picked up at an antique mall a few weeks ago.

$IMG_3214.JPG

$IMG_3215.JPG

$IMG_3216.JPG

It is a classic handle and the original boar knot was as terrible as the one in my old C40. So, off it went.

$IMG_3219.JPG

$IMG_3220.JPG

I also took a 220 sand paper to the handle to remove the old patina and smooth over some of the uneven places at the seam. I am also planning to round off the very sharp corner on top where the taper towards the knot is. I think a soft round curve instead of sharp corner will be much nicer. I will do the same for the bottom of the handle. It's so sharp there that it almost cuts into the hand when you hold it. Finally, the hollow plastic handle is way too light, so I have J-B Welded an old brake caliper bolt from one of my Volvos into the bottom after I removed the knot plug. The feel of the handle is becoming more like a Simpson than a low end Ever-Ready (the E-R 650PB handle had none of these "cheap" feeling attributes and had a pure badger knot originally). Now, the question is what knot I should put in this handle? I was thinking another TGN finest as it will look simply amazing in this handle: from bottom up it will be black, white, black, white. This is very tempting to do and I love TGN finest knots (maybe try a fan shape this time). however, after thinking some more I began to lean towards an Omega boar knot TGN sells. First, I have enough badger brushes and only two boars (Omega 10275, which I love and Semoge 1470 that I can not seem to make friends with). I love boar brushes and so far Omega boar knots agree with me very well. So, I am considering an Omega boar knot in this handle. It will preserve the original idea of this being a boar brush, but I will drastically improve the handle by easing the corners, adding weight to it and I will bring the finish of the plastic to a nice smooth grade, but not that plastic shine it had originally.

What say you, the community?

Last edited:
Looks good so far. I've tapered the sharp corner before and it makes it look like a very soft and curvy brush, so definitely go with that.

TGN knots are always great. Havent tried their boars yet, but you wont be dissapointed. Post photos when you're done!!:thumbup:

I am leaning heavily towards the Omega boar knot sold at TGN for this project. I have 6 badger brushes and only two boars (one Omega and one Semogue). I really enjoy the boars and this brush was originally a boar, so I am thinking the 22mm Omega boar will do nicely. It also has black plastic "bucket" at the base of the knot, which will create a nice progression of colors: Bottom of the handle is black, top is white, then comes the black ring of the "bucket", then the white (ish) knot. Should be very nice. I have already started to soften the corners on top and bottom. This and the heavy full feel of the handle has already transformed this thing into a much more substantial feeling handle. I think I will go and place an order for the Omega knot now... Will post pictures as the progress occurs.

Two Omega knots from TGN on the way to me. Will post pictures when they arrived as well as those of the handle. Too bad I can't express the weight of the handle in the pictures (well, I can include a picture of a readout of the scale, but that's not the same as feeling the heft of the handle). I have not weighed the brush before I started, but it was fairly light and felt hollow as it was indeed. Now it's pretty heavy and will get even heavier still.

Thank you to whoever renamed this thread. I was not able to do it myself. It got a half name because I accidentally hit <enter> while preparing the title.

Good luck with the brush, vferdman, and thanks for some good process pictures. Always nice to get an idea of what you might run into on a future restore.

This is coming along nicely.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it after you've smoothed/rounded the sharp edges.

This is coming along nicely.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it after you've smoothed/rounded the sharp edges.

You can see the beginning of that in the last two pictures. The one before last still has a very sharp edge and the last picture shows a smoother one. Again, this is not the final result, just the beginning. I will work on it in the next few days and by then the knot will hopefully arrive.

Now that you point it out, yea. I can see the top edge in the 2nd photo is clearly softer than the earlier shot. Nice.

I worked on the handle yesterday and got all the sharp corners off and also sanded the seam where black and white comes together smooth. It was slightly uneven such that in some places the white was a bit proud and on the others the black was proud. Also, if you look at the original pictures you can see unevenness in the white part just above the black. All attributes of a cheap plastic handle. Well, I sanded and shaped and sanded and shaped, then polished and buffed and ended up with the following results that I like a whole lot. They may not show on the pictures nearly as much as in person as the actual feel of the handle has undergone a transformation from a feeling like a cheap hollow plastic object to a solid hunk or resin (or stone, even). The added weight and JB-Weld inside makes a huge difference in feel. Also, the rounded sanded and polished surfaces have a very different feel from that of molded plastic. I am very happy with how this is turning out. I hope the pictures tell some part of the story, but it's really hard to convey it without having you hold the handle in hand.

$IMG_3238.JPG

$IMG_3239.JPG

$IMG_3240.JPG

$IMG_3243.JPG

$IMG_3245.JPG

Last edited:
I worked on the handle yesterday and got all the sharp corners off and also sanded the seam where black and white comes together smooth. It was slightly uneven such that in some places the white was a bit proud and on the others the black was proud. Also, if you look at the original pictures you can see unevenness in the white part just above the black. All attributes of a cheap plastic handle. Well, I sanded and shaped and sanded and shaped, then polished and buffed and ended up with the following results that I like a whole lot. They may not show on the pictures nearly as much as in person as the actual feel of the handle has undergone a transformation from a feeling like a cheap hollow plastic object to a solid hunk or resin (or stone, even). The added weight and JB-Weld inside makes a huge difference in feel. Also, the rounded sanded and polished surfaces have a very different feel from that of molded plastic. I am very happy with how this is turning out. I hope the pictures tell some part of the story, but it's really hard to convey it without having you hold the handle in hand.

View attachment 269099

View attachment 269100

View attachment 269101

View attachment 269102

View attachment 269103

That really makes it look much better. Excellent work!

That really makes it look much better. Excellent work!

Not only that, but it feels waaaay better in hand. No more sharp edge at the bottom digging into your palm. The whole thing feels more like a Simpson handle now, whereas before it really felt pretty cheap. I should have the knot early next week sometime and will finish it then. I'll try to take a picture from a similar angle as in the first picture of the thread for "before" and "after" effect.

Top Bottom