What's new

Esterbrook Dip-Less Ink Pen

I bought this off the bay, what other types of nibs will fit it?
Does it only take those renew point nibs?
I thought I might use it at work...

$$T2eC16h,!)cE9s4PvnfdBRRF3Hz9Ww~~60_57.jpg

Last edited:
Esterbrook "Renew Point" nibs are all interchangeable and there are literally dozens of different varieties available. They simply unscrew from the section. Most standard nibs probably won't cost more than $10 or $15, although some exotic varieties can go for considerably more.

Here's a link to a chart of the different models: http://snyderfamily.com/current/estienibs.htm

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Osmiroid and Venus nib units also fit, Venus being of a lower quality.

Did you get the dip-less inkwell also? The dip-less pens are really dip pens and have no cartridge, sac, or converter. Dip-less meant, to Esterbrook, dip less frequently. The inkwells hold the pen at the correct depth to fill-er-up. I use a 444 at work. For jotting quick notes during a phone call, it works well.

Did you get the dip-less inkwell also? The dip-less pens are really dip pens and have no cartridge, sac, or converter. Dip-less meant, to Esterbrook, dip less frequently. The inkwells hold the pen at the correct depth to fill-er-up. I use a 444 at work. For jotting quick notes during a phone call, it works well.

I do the same, well I did until I had to buy a new nib and ended up with an oblique fine, which doesn't work so well if you're left handed.

Yes, I bought the inkwell separate, because the seller seemed to think it was unused.

Last edited:
I do the same, well I did until I had to buy a new nib and ended up with an oblique fine, which doesn't work so well if you're left handed.

What nib did you use? This one is the 2668, I generally like medium, as opposed to fine. How about you, dcobranchi?

Last edited:
Osmiroid and Venus nib units also fit, Venus being of a lower quality.

That's what I thought too. BUT, the Osmiroid has bit sticking out of the nib assembly, it is fine for regular lever fillers, but the "dipless" pens don't have room for the sticky-out thing.
proxy.php

I was wondering if I could cut it off, but since I don't need to use the Osi nib on the dipless... why wreck it?

strop

Now half as wise
Make sure you check the gasket on the ink reservoir, or at least make sure there are no cats nearby!:lol: I haven't been able to find a gasket to fit yet, but they look like they will hold a lot of ink.

Update:
I may be in trouble here...
The pen arrived this afternoon. Not having the res. yet I dipped it in my Quink bottle. I swear the 2668 medium nib write smoother than any of my other pens. This includes bot my B&B essentials, Cum-Laude, Faber Castell, what ever.
It's really amazing for a dip pen...

Update:
I may be in trouble here...
The pen arrived this afternoon. Not having the res. yet I dipped it in my Quink bottle. I swear the 2668 medium nib write smoother than any of my other pens. This includes bot my B&B essentials, Cum-Laude, Faber Castell, what ever.
It's really amazing for a dip pen...

I recently just got my first Esterbrook J with a 9556 "Master" nib. I fell in love with it for the same reason you stated above. Despite the fact that it's a "firm fine," it's arguably one of the smoothest writers I have... even with all of my Watermans. I now want to eventually get every color of the J-series I can get my hands on.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Yikes! I didn't know the dipless has a dead-end inside, I don't even have one -- I do know that I use Osmiroids in my J series and lever-filled desk sets. Unless you're going to dedicate it to the dipless, I wouldn't cut off the "wick" as it may help the ink flow through a regular pen.

That's what I thought too. BUT, the Osmiroid has bit sticking out of the nib assembly, it is fine for regular lever fillers, but the "dipless" pens don't have room for the sticky-out thing.
proxy.php

I was wondering if I could cut it off, but since I don't need to use the Osi nib on the dipless... why wreck it?

2668 is a smooth nib.

I'm doomed, now I've got to score a pocket model that takes these nibs....
Suggestions on that?

I've got two Esties with 2668 nibs. They're one of the most common nibs and are generally excellent. One needed a bit of smoothing but now writes fine. For a pocket pen, it's hard to go wrong with an Esterbrook "J". Just pick your favorite color.

I've got two Esties with 2668 nibs. They're one of the most common nibs and are generally excellent. One needed a bit of smoothing but now writes fine. For a pocket pen, it's hard to go wrong with an Esterbrook "J". Just pick your favorite color.

There are some guys on eBay who restore Esties and adjust the nib. The guy who sold me my Estie adjusts the nib on every pen he sells to quote: "get it the way I like it." Needless to say, I plan on getting all my future Esties through him.

Make sure you check the gasket on the ink reservoir, or at least make sure there are no cats nearby!:lol: I haven't been able to find a gasket to fit yet, but they look like they will hold a lot of ink.

The hold a TON of ink. I got one on ebay some time ago. It would not come apart no matter how much I soaked it. Finally put a few squirts of a silicone spray along the edges and after some time an wiggling, it came apart.

proxy.php

It was broken inside, and the washer torn. I put some ink in it and had it on my desk for a while, but since Pete my 3 footed cat likes to walk the desk and randomly push things off I was not comfortable. Of course the seller was convinced I had broken it. $10 inkwell and pen, $5 shipping, I pay $5 to return it to him for a $10 refund. Do the math. Finally I had to play the "negative feedback" trump card and I got a refund without sending the broken bits back. I'm not proud of it but it worked.

One could possibly fabricate a good enough gasket with silicone plumber's tape. White should work, but the yellow or pink would be better.

One could possibly fabricate a good enough gasket with silicone plumber's tape.

I read somewhere (probably in a thread here) that the 444 gasket is a standard size available in plumbing supply stores.

As an aside, I really struggle to open my well up for refilling. I put silicone grease on the gasket prior to closing it up and it's still ridiculously tight. That's one reason that my next purchase will be a 407 or 404.

I read somewhere (probably in a thread here) that the 444 gasket is a standard size available in plumbing supply stores.

As an aside, I really struggle to open my well up for refilling. I put silicone grease on the gasket prior to closing it up and it's still ridiculously tight. That's one reason that my next purchase will be a 407 or 404.
I bought a 407, by the photos, it looks very nice...

Last edited:
Top Bottom