What's new

Estate pipes and resto

This is kind of a 2 question post.
The first is what is the preferred method of restoring a pipe as far as cleaning. I have looked and read a bunch and there are a ton of different methods. For the stems I am considering the oxy-clean method but not sure if it could cause damage. For the bowl I was thinking of the salt with everclear soak. What would you suggest is the best and safest cleaning method?

The second question is about estate pipes and how you value them. A guy has some pipes that he wants what i feel is too much for them, but he insist because the 3 old meers are included its worth it. I would only want a couple of the pipes, and then use the rest for sale or trade to further my pipe and tobacco collection. What would you pay for these pipes and why?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170206-013438.png
    Screenshot_20170206-013438.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20170206-013456.png
    Screenshot_20170206-013456.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20170206-013509.png
    Screenshot_20170206-013509.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20170206-013551.png
    Screenshot_20170206-013551.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 27

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
There is some links to great restoration advice in this thread:
Gentleman's Guide to the Leaf

As far as the value is concerned, it's only what someone's willing to pay for it. We don't give out appraisals here on B&B though. The pipes look in rough shape, but it's hard to tell if any of them would clean up nicely with only a couple of pictures.

As far as the value is concerned, it's only what someone's willing to pay for it. We don't give out appraisals here on B&B though. The pipes look in rough shape, but it's hard to tell if any of them would clean up nicely with only a couple of pictures.

ok thank you and sorry. I would edit my post if i could figure out how.

I agree with Claudel Xerxes. The pipes look pretty rough. No clue on value but if you think they are too high I would pass. If you think they are worth it then go for it :thumbup1:.

Hmm they look like they would need a fair bit of restoration buffing etc to be lookers again. Most important for me are the internals. Check for burn out, bad reaming jobs, draft holes drilled high or off center or burnt out, bad fitting mortise and tenon and uneven chambers etc. if the seller is asking a high price are any of those pipes of collector value like vintage Dunhills, Charatans, Ashtons, W.O. Larsons, Castellos, you get the idea, to be so expensive. Meerchaums are nice but range from crap to exquisite in quality so that in itself isn't always a reason for a hefty price tag. Do a little research and find out something about the carver and maybe you can come to a conclusion.

This exactly.

If it's more than you feel it's worth, take a pass. There are several thousand estate pipes available these days - you have the luxury of being choosy.

Yep, plenty of estate pipes for good prices out there.

If you're trying to sanitize a bunch of estate pipes I don't think anything beats a retort.

Top Bottom