What's new

Escher/Thuringian love. show of your rocks

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I'm not an expert and it's not labeled so I can only assume. The saw marks in that one spot do look a little deep..everywhere else looks 'normal'. It's two toned in places. Feels like a thuri under the blade. I've honed a few razors on it but haven't shaved yet but the hht's were good. Here's a pic of two tone and end saw marks.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 262

David

Sebastian I've been looking at all of my Eschers. Some of them have that type of saw marks on them in places. First pic is a labeled escher, second is new stone

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 256
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 259
Sebastian I've been looking at all of my Eschers. Some of them have that type of saw marks on them in places. First pic is a labeled escher, second is new stone

Yeah seems right, probably it was just the pictures....however seems to be a great stone...

Finally, I got my hands on a Thuringian hone, and oh my... what an edge it puts on a razor. This really was the right way to go. Now I just need to source a bench size stone. But until then, I'm really really happy with this little 1"x5", it sure takes my coticule edge to the next level.

David

I don't think label color indicates anything on the celebrated water stones.
Do you have a slurry stone?

Do you have a slurry stone?

Unfortunately not, it is still on my "to source" list.

I'm not sure I really need one. The thuri auto slurries a bit and coming off the coticule I already have a good edge on the razor. But I would like to have one, just to speed things up.

Been a while since I posted here but I figured I'd share this. Bought this 5 x 2.5 "Escher" the other day and just got around to lapping it.

The box is in terrible condition but you can see where the Escher label I assume was at at one time. The stone looks like it was used very little if it was at all. I started lapping it and was curious why there was a yellow green slurry stone with a blue green stone. I lapped a little off the side and you couldn't draw a straighter separation line between the blue green and yellow green. I guess in the old times the streaks in the yellow green made them finish the blue green side because you can still see the glue residue on the yellow green side.

I haven't finished lapping it yet but it feels like the blue green is one of the harder variants and the yellow green is the normal buttery soft. Kinda glad there wasn't a label on the stone.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431540493.786504.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431540522.768671.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431540537.467807.jpg

Recently I bought this to try out a thuri of a different colour. it's a dark one and compared to my other thuri it is super hard. I like it a lot and I think it actually has a little more range than my other stone. enough talk here it is.
$20150518_085855.jpg dry $20150518_090323.jpg slurried
$20150518_090502.jpg Next to my other Thuri

Oh nice. JB, plz take some detailed pics of the stone and some slurry shots when you get it. I've had some boxed thuri's in the past (Non-escher but typical thuri texture and color, with the usual "Use only with water", etc directions) that I suspected were reforms from the slurry, appearance and sides. Sold them, and that stone reminds me of them; would be interesting to see what others think of stones that are similar.

The big thing that was "off" about them was that the slurry had stringy particles suspended in it that looked almost like very fine bits of paper pulp.

Finally got the stone in. It appears to be just like all of my others, saw marks and all. I looked into this after you originally posted and Peter had a nice thread somewhere and based on that I definitely know this isn't a reform. From that thread, it seems those are pretty rare and much later. According to Peter, Bracher had their own quarries, and while anything is possible, it seemed that the only reforms that have been found were from a variation of one of the Escher companies.

$25.jpg

$26.jpg

The very right end is a black motled thury very fast , hard and fine . I supose it could be a Cambrian silkstone . On the other laft end very fine and motled thury , very soft .
Second from left to right is a think swedenstein thury abbout 10 11 k stone very agressive cutter .
Others and the barbers delight BG are thuris / ordinary ha hah a/

Is the second to the right a BD style two tone? Looks sweet. What size are those stones? I can't really tell.

I have been using the back of my 10" two tone where I can hone across both colors. The back is 2/3 BG and 1/3 YG, I can't really feel a difference but it is fun and enjoy it more than the plain YG side for some reason.(Probably because I have so many other YG stones)

Top Bottom