What's new

Escher/Thuringian love. show of your rocks

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Okay....the same seller had these 2 stones and I couldn't resist the unnamed slate that looks quite a bit like the Thuri above......and the Ark may be something useful. Could this be a Thuri also?

t114.jpg
t112.jpg
t13.jpg

I would also be surprised if that turns out as a Thuri. Especially the look of the backside, were you see the stone naturally broken I suppose - don't see any chissel marks, looks very unusual for thuringian slate stones.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I'm sure I'll find a use for it regardless of identification, name, or heritage. No stone left behind. I can't wait to unravel that Ark, it appears more oil than stone.

Ark looks like a semi-translucent washita.

I always think of them as "Turkey" Washita's... because one eBay seller listed one YEARS ago as a Turkey stone; with the description explaining (This is paraphrased from memory):

"These are called Turkey Stones in 19th century books because of how the surface looks like turkey skin".

Not the kind of thing I forget easily.

So a Small lot with a ~$50 shipped BIN turned up. Had 25+ watchers... so I didn't get the jump on anyone, but it was OBO, so Im guessing some others were sending offers to save a few bucks.

Was all junk except one stone... it had a pretty obvious DB Thuri in the 6x1.25" variety... and I figured... well $50 isn't a bad price for that, I'll pay asking.

So it arrives in 2 days and I glance quickly over the other stones... and the little 4" sliver felt a bit finer than I expected... worth a few seconds to lap it...

And I uncover a Tam... Cute.

The big surprise though was that I was wrong. It's not a DB Thuri...

IMG_0893.jpg

(It's actually a 2 tone... but the bluegreen/darker side is only about 2mm thick and only covers about 2/3 of the backside (it's Y/G throughout the other 1/3)... so not worth lapping to show)

Reactions: Wid
I flipped myself... Bought another obvious thuri for just over $50 shipped... also 6"...

Was pretty confident it'd be a y/g or LG... it's a very dark blue green or very light dark blue...

Has some clouds so I'm willing to call it a blue green, but I suspect they probably labeled it dark blue.

Y/G from last week on left... New bg/db in middle... an old 6" db I've owned on right.

Attachments

• IMG_0912.jpg
    IMG_0912.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0913.jpg
    IMG_0913.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
I've never actually snagged a Larkin... Always wanted one in order to decide if it's a Thuri or not via use... but they seem to sell for practically Thuri money, so evidently everyone else already decided they are... and I'm not gonna pay Thuri money just to know if I got a stone for full price or not.

I've never actually snagged a Larkin... Always wanted one in order to decide if it's a Thuri or not via use... but they seem to sell for practically Thuri money, so evidently everyone else already decided they are... and I'm not gonna pay Thuri money just to know if I got a stone for full price or not.
I agree, I don’t think I would take a full price gamble on a stone. Thankfully I got this one for a very reasonable price.

Being a retailer, it would make sense that there could be non Thuringian Larkins out there. All of the ones I’ve seen online claim thuringian.

From my limited knowledge on thuri, this 100% fits the bill for them.

Interesting that all of the photos I could find, they all have the same odd shape slurry stone.

If anyone has info on the company history, I would be interested to see it.

Just arrived today… it needs a bit of work but I’m really excited to clean it up and put it to use. This is my first thuri. I think I’ll start a new thread on the best way to seal it and deal with that chip and crack on the one end.

What colour is this one? The end label is gone with only the faintest hint that it used to be there.

IMG_4256.jpeg
IMG_4258.jpeg
IMG_4260.jpeg
IMG_4261.jpeg

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Just arrived today… it needs a bit of work but I’m really excited to clean it up and put it to use. This is my first thuri. I think I’ll start a new thread on the best way to seal it and deal with that chip and crack on the one end.

What colour is this one? The end label is gone with only the faintest hint that it used to be there.

View attachment 1853217View attachment 1853218View attachment 1853219View attachment 1853220

Real nice looking stone, guessing it’s a 6x2. To early to guess color. Need a good cleaning to remove the oxidation and lap flat to open up its Bouquet

A thread on sealing labels to get you started. I prefer sealing as a last resort but that your decision

Top Bottom