What's new

Escher/Thuringian love. show of your rocks

Two little black/ mottled Escher's. I was under the impression that the cup symbol was from earlier years but the mottled was from the later years. It’s not really mottled I guess, just a couple of black dots.
image.jpg
image.jpg

The label on one is upside down. Not sure if it’s a sloppiness or maybe it was glued in at a later date.

Two little black/ mottled Escher's. I was under the impression that the cup symbol was from earlier years but the mottled was from the later years. It’s not really mottled I guess, just a couple of black dots.View attachment 1464482View attachment 1464483
The label on one is upside down. Not sure if it’s a sloppiness or maybe it was glued in at a later date.
Yes, these are not the typical mottled black Escher stones. Those were mined in the years between 1940 and 1950 from the company JG Escher & Son - not from Escher & Co with the cup label. These have been two different companies from around the 1920's on.

Tom messaged me today and sent me a link to an eBay post showing a period advertisement for the above stone.
Thank you Tom.

View attachment 1445217

Two more thuringians to post. One is on this advertisement page too! Koenigstein Water Hone by Theo A Kochs:
20220716_180010.jpg

Side by side with my Dark Blue SRD:
20220716_180310.jpg

My first two tone! 2mm counts right?
20220716_180146.jpg

The label was falling apart and I tried to seal it with acrylic spray like I've done on many labels successfully, sadly this has to be the worst outcome yet. Immediately the label began to degrade. The risk of trying to seal an ancient label i guess. I was very excited to discover the two tone line, my first one. It is touch softer feeling than the dark blue. Trying to reasearch this name some more led me to Königstein Germany which is a bit east of Thuriga. Also the name means King Stone in English which is cool. I figure both of these factored into the marketing name. The history of the Königstein Fortress was very interesting but not related to honing...

I also just got a dirty box of ~20 stones, junk besides a black dished washita and this teal guy:
20220716_175923.jpg

21cm x 4.6cm perfection. Maybe blue green?
20220716_183150.jpg

Here are the ends with scratches that sure look like the best type to me!

Just unwrapped a rather exciting ebay score that must have have slipped past a lot of the stone collectors out there*. Here's the seller's group shot.

s-l1600 (39).jpg

I recognised the little scrap of label on the top stone as being the same as an Escher Saxonian Oilstone / Troutstone in an old post on the Mystery Hones thread, so I was quite confident on that one. Then spent quite a long time looking at the bottom stone trying to work out whether it might even be a second one, perhaps. The middle I thought probably a coti, with an outside chance of a jnat.

After a bit of a clean up I've got a double score on the Saxonians :).

IMG-9831.JPG

And to complete the hat-trick - the middle stone is actually some kind of fine-grained kiita with a funky pattern on it. (I'm pretty sure on this being a jnat, but shout if anyone thinks otherwise).

IMG-9834.jpg

* A lot but not all... it turned out that the other bidder was a friend here, so he's having first dibs on the smaller Saxonian.

Just unwrapped a rather exciting ebay score that must have have slipped past a lot of the stone collectors out there*. Here's the seller's group shot.

View attachment 1495692

I recognised the little scrap of label on the top stone as being the same as an Escher Saxonian Oilstone / Troutstone in an old post on the Mystery Hones thread, so I was quite confident on that one. Then spent quite a long time looking at the bottom stone trying to work out whether it might even be a second one, perhaps. The middle I thought probably a coti, with an outside chance of a jnat.

View attachment 1495696

And to complete the hat-trick - the middle stone is actually some kind of fine-grained kiita with a funky pattern on it. (I'm pretty sure on this being a jnat, but shout if anyone thinks otherwise).

View attachment 1495694

* A lot but not all... it turned out that the other bidder was a friend here, so he's having first dibs on the smaller Saxonian.

Oli very cool. I know we were wondering if the second was also a trout stone. What are the sizes on them? Also that middle stone does look like a coti in the pic.

View attachment 1495692

View attachment 1495696

View attachment 1495694

If not jnat id guess les lat without the hybrid side backing it. The hybrid layer is between 2 yellow layers, one very fast, one slow(allegedly, have used a slow one). I think sometimes the slow ones are/ were put on a bbw but a lone layer isn't unheard of at all. I say kiita or coti you absolutly scored. So the others are trout stones? How do they compare to a thuri?

Last edited:
Ah it sounds like it might be a coti then; I've only lapped it so far, not tried out yet, but it didn't feel very coti like to me under an atoma, and it smelt quite jnat-y. Though I've never had a Les Lat or a hybrid type coticule, and I understand they can be a bit different. It's quite a fine stone whichever way, and I don't get the impression it's going to be super quick.

There should be an easy tell when I measure the SG, as a coticule will be quite significantly higher than a jnat (and this stone does feel quite heavy tbh). Will report back...

Oli very cool. I know we were wondering if the second was also a trout stone. What are the sizes on them?

Yeah - from the pics it was almost impossible to say on the third wasn't it. Just that the box looked promising. Very happy with the outcome though as it means I can spread the love to @ables too :).

I know you (and other people lucky enough to have one) are a big fan of these stones, and I must say just going from the feel - they do strike me like they're going to be very good hones. Looking forward to trying out tomorrow!

Ah it sounds like it might be a coti then; I've only lapped it so far, not tried out yet, but it didn't feel very coti like to me under an atoma, and it smelt quite jnat-y. Though I've never had a Les Lat or a hybrid type coticule, and I understand they can be a bit different. It's quite a fine stone whichever way, and I don't get the impression it's going to be super quick.

There should be an easy tell when I measure the SG, as a coticule will be quite significantly higher than a jnat (and this stone does feel quite heavy tbh). Will report back...

Yeah - from the pics it was almost impossible to say on the third wasn't it. Just that the box looked promising. Very happy with the outcome though as it means I can spread the love to @ables too :).

I know you (and other people lucky enough to have one) are a big fan of these stones, and I must say just going from the feel - they do strike me like they're going to be very good hones. Looking forward to trying out tomorrow!

It looks pretty typical of a large coticule bout. The cut and shape.

Top Bottom