What's new

Error Correction

Another newbie honer question. I'm still working on my hone stroke. The main problem I have is occasionally lifting the heal or the toe. Sometimes the razor slips slightly off the side of the hone (at least I've rounded the corners). Despite these errors, I can still get a decent edge out of it, but I know I won't get a great edge until I get my stroke down. My question; however is, what do you think is the best way to correct these errors as I continue to practice?
  1. Start over each time. Reset the bevel and work my way all the way through finishing?
  2. Start somewhere in the middle. Create a light slurry (I'm working with a coticule) and dilute my way to plain water?
  3. Just take finishing laps (i.e. just water)?

My advice would be to use your other hand to lightly maintain good and even contact of the razor with the hone.

My advice would be to use your other hand to lightly maintain good and even contact of the razor with the hone.

Good advice. I hadn't thought of that. I was also wondering how many people (if any) put a finger down and touch the table (or surface that the hone is on), using it as a guide to ensure the blade stays level. A honing training wheel if you will. I didn't include that in my original post because I figured I should be developing the feel and 'muscle memory' of doing it without.

I put my "spare hand" on the spine, so as not to deflect the main body of the blade (which is what adding too much pressure does...). Just very lightly. That way I can also "feel" the hone that much better.

I put my "spare hand" on the spine, so as not to deflect the main body of the blade (which is what adding too much pressure does...). Just very lightly. That way I can also "feel" the hone that much better.

Do you use two hands all the time?

Depending on the error, most times you should reset the bevel. but from what i gather regarding moving the blade off the stone is NOT an error in which you'll need to reset the bevel.

fwiw, i've been using 1 hand with quite a bit of heel to toe honing with great success.

im not an expert and really looking forward to joel's next vid with some honing!

Have you tried to hold the stone in hand?

Yep, that is the only way I can get decent results with one hand honing. Now I rather enjoy it, but I still want to go back to using two hands with the stone on a table top to compare results.

I have to use the pinky on the hand holding the razor to balance the scales and maintain proper contact with the stone. Time and practice is what it takes to get it the feel right :thumbup1:

I do like holding the stone as well, though :001_smile

Yeah, I actually use my ring finger out on the scales to balance it. My problem is my balance isn't that great and the blade tips periodically. I guess that's just practice.

I've seen some videos of folks honing with the hone in their hand, but that always struck me as one more variable to control. In an exercise that requires a great deal of control ensuring the blade stays flat and even on the hone, it would seem to me that you want to control all of the variables that may interfere with this goal. To me, that would mean putting the hone on a table. You guys don't find this to be the case?

Yeah, I actually use my ring finger out on the scales to balance it. My problem is my balance isn't that great and the blade tips periodically. I guess that's just practice.

I've seen some videos of folks honing with the hone in their hand, but that always struck me as one more variable to control. In an exercise that requires a great deal of control ensuring the blade stays flat and even on the hone, it would seem to me that you want to control all of the variables that may interfere with this goal. To me, that would mean putting the hone on a table. You guys don't find this to be the case?

no, because to me it's more important to get the right posture because it makes those other things fall into place more easily. Which is (again, for me) very much upright with my shoulders back (no slouching) and elbow almost as high as my shoulder. Trying to find a way to get all of those right without standing/holding the stone is a problem.

Top Bottom