What's new

Envy Shave 8-Ball Brush?

Does anyone have any experience with this brush? Is it worth the $80? How does it compare to the Razorock Plissoft? With the knot being set a bit higher, I'm worried that it'll be too floppy for my MWF use...

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Does anyone have any experience with this brush? Is it worth the $80? How does it compare to the Razorock Plissoft? With the knot being set a bit higher, I'm worried that it'll be too floppy for my MWF use...

I've got one on the way. I don't know what to expect with this Tuxedo knot: it was a spur of the moment purchase despite my dislike of black-colored knots in general and the meh performance of the RazoRock 400 Gamechanger that, to me, fell far below that of any previous Plissoft. It is a larger knot set taller, so maybe that will help rather than hinder its performance and the looks will grow on me. As for the price, that's the cost of a Nathan Clark quality handle. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised by it all.

I've got one on the way. I don't know what to expect with this Tuxedo knot: it was a spur of the moment purchase despite my dislike of black-colored knots in general and the meh performance of the RazoRock 400 Gamechanger that, to me, fell far below that of any previous Plissoft. It is a larger knot set taller, so maybe that will help rather than hinder its performance and the looks will grow on me. As for the price, that's the cost of a Nathan Clark quality handle. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised by it all.

Let me know what you think after you've used it! I'm very interested to hear!

I had a custom made brush from him and it has that knot. I love his craftsmanship, and the knot is fantastic! He is a great guy to work with. I highly recommend his brushes!

That is the best avatar!

I've been considering a custom brush for a while, and Nathan Clark was at the top of the list. I actually chatted with him through one of the forums about a handle shape. Sadly, it looks like he's not taking any custom orders for a while the last time I looked. I did just order a Tuxedo knot to put in another handle. Haven't received it yet though.

I can't speak for the synthetic knots but I have an Envy Shave Luxury Silvertip that I put in another handle made by another Etsy vendor, Backyard Sawdust. That silvertip knot is my absolute favorite of all my 12 brushes. Tons of backbone and softer than a baby's bottom.
IMG_0218.JPG

I had a custom brush with his black wolf synth (I think it's the same tuxedo). I have used it about 10x. Solid performer brush. I might even say too much backbone by a smidge. Pillowy soft. Good performer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the 8 Ball today. Test lather produced 2 loose fibers (no big deal) and some black water spots on the sink. I thought at first it was coming from the dyed knot, but I also noticed some white/tan water spots indicating it was coming from the 2-tone handle. I don't know what that's about but I washed the brush thoroughly and it seems to be okay now, but is something to keep an eye on.

As for the feel, it really is softer than all the other synths I've tried, not a lot of backbone but sufficient, and it easily whipped up a great lather.

One final thing: I've become quite the stickler for having good knot conformation, a symmetrical fan or bulb as the case may be. This knot, along with the Sunrise, Ubersoft, and Maggard synths and some of the Plissofts, are not the most perfectly formed knots around, often with one side puffing out more than the others, fibers twisted or overly squeezed into the glue base, some gappage looking down into the fiber tops, or just a generally "ragged" look to them. Some of this has to do with minor deformation during shipping and should work itself out with use, but often it's because of how the hair is set into the glue. It just seems to be the nature of the beast. Not a deal breaker as of yet, just an observation.

Offsetting any of these minor complaints is the fact that this knot is king of soft. You will get a premium cushy shave with one. I'm sure you'll get a nicely formed knot now and then, too.

I love mine, and it handles MWF just fine. It is a high loft but remember it's a synth and not a badger thus it behaves differently. Excellent performance:
IMG_1323.JPG

Looking into this brush, my favorite knot is tuxedo synthetic. How long is the handle? I cant seem to find specs and I don't like short handles very much. Thanks

Top Bottom