What's new

Elvis, Playmate of the Month, etc

I miss print. Miss standing in line at the grocery store reading the trashy "newspapers" exclaiming Elvis is living in a nursing home. (There may be a couple of these publications left, but they are not stocked by my grocers.) Miss the quick skim through Playboy at the drugstore. (I guess the magazine still exists, double wrapped in plastic, but not on the shelf at CVS or Walgreen's. Miss the Christian Science Monitor delivered to my home. Miss the analysis and depth of news which print provided. What remains of local papers is a vehicle to pitch the "Up To Half Off" sales of merchants. Sad.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Yes I miss print as well. Certain publications and newspapers here in Australia are on line only and you need to pay to read. No fun anymore.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The price of most magazines has certainly dropped; I recall $20, $25 subs ... now most are $8.

Print is struggling. People just swipe left- seeing but not learning. Opinion couched as news. Dumbing down the masses.

Canned NatGeo for its doomsday slant. And most gun mags are ad-vertorial for the latest Remchester 6.54mmx31.

Recently read some 50-year old Life magazines. Gemini, Apollo successes ... and on campus, activists warned "within 30 years, the environment will be destroyed." But that was before the 1970s "Next Ice Age Is Coming" scare.

AA

Every time I go to a dollar store in a certain town, I'm treated to a couple of tabloids at the cash register. This isn't universal; at another I frequent, the periodicals are higher quality. I think the tabloids are still on display at a nearby Walmart, but usually what catches my eye there are books like Astrology for Dummies.

The "nudie books" are still available in places, but have moved behind counters, or are now in racks that cover all but the title (as seen in a convenience store). Some are both. Don't pay attention to the titles, just aware they are still there. Honest.

What I miss are local print versions of Popular Mechanics. Wanted to check out the magazine again, and haven't been able to find it anywhere locally. I can see some of the articles online, but wanted to compare the two.

I miss print. Miss standing in line at the grocery store reading the trashy "newspapers" exclaiming Elvis is living in a nursing home. (There may be a couple of these publications left, but they are not stocked by my grocers.) Miss the quick skim through Playboy at the drugstore. (I guess the magazine still exists, double wrapped in plastic, but not on the shelf at CVS or Walgreen's. Miss the Christian Science Monitor delivered to my home. Miss the analysis and depth of news which print provided. What remains of local papers is a vehicle to pitch the "Up To Half Off" sales of merchants. Sad.

Advertisements have always been the lifeblood of newspapers. Thomas Jefferson said they were the only reliable truths in them.

The price of most magazines has certainly dropped; I recall $20, $25 subs ... now most are $8.

Print is struggling. People just swipe left- seeing but not learning. Opinion couched as news. Dumbing down the masses.

Canned NatGeo for its doomsday slant. And most gun mags are ad-vertorial for the latest Remchester 6.54mmx31.

Recently read some 50-year old Life magazines. Gemini, Apollo successes ... and on campus, activists warned "within 30 years, the environment will be destroyed." But that was before the 1970s "Next Ice Age Is Coming" scare.

AA

Haven't read National Geographic in close to two decades. When they started to verge toward propaganda and whined about manned space exploration being hard, I dropped them. Haven't regretted it. I do wonder whether I should trash my old copies, stored in a book case.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Miss standing in line at the grocery store

I will NEVER NEVER EVER EVER miss that. :001_cool:

As far as print goes, meh. There was a time I subscribed to roughly 10 magazines. Time, Nat Geo, People, Car & Driver, Field & Stream, Wired, etc. etc. Basically the most popular stuff. Slowly I converted to digital copies. And then slowly I just stopped renewing altogether. Now that everything you ever want to know is a Google away I don’t find the need for print anything.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Just recently reupped to Mother Earth News and Grit. May reup to Farm Show. If you ain't heard of it Google it. It's printed on newspaper stock and it's amazing if your dad was like mine and was MacGyver's clone.

I still subscribe to four print magazines, and I love them: The New Yorker, New York Review of books, Book Forum, London Review of Books, the last three being text-oriented. I do read The NYTimes and the Guardian on-line, but I miss the print newspaper in the morning.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Magazines and newspapers are a shadow of their former self.

Magazines, newspapers, and Muhammad Ali were all great back in the 1960s and 1970s. Since then ... um ...

I will NEVER NEVER EVER EVER miss that. :001_cool:

proxy.php

Oh come on ... how can you not miss that??

proxy.php

"So, this guy was telling you about his plan to make grocery shopping great again?"

proxy.php

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’d do that Amazon store for sure. Last I heard there’s only 1. In Seattle. And it’s only open to Amazon employees.

I MISS the reason I used to have to look at Playboy magazines.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Guess i'm a young, sponge, outlier.

Local daily arrives around 6:30am the six days per week it's published. Read while eating breakfast, do the crosswords before bed. Neighbourhood library has other national dailies available to read.

Been getting National Geographic since 1977.

From the newstand, monthly - Mojo, Uncut, both include a compilation cd of bands/music i'm not familiar with, around $15 each, my wife buys them. Fine Woodworking i buy if there's an article i want or a special edition that's loaded. Reduced to just hunting for VNA, appears the Canadian distributor has stopped bringing it in. If i come across them, Tape Op, Under The Radar, The Big Take-Over. Anything else that may catch my eye.

From the library, i'll borrow the monthly issues of;

Bon Appetit
Wood
Fine Cooking
Fine Gardening
The Family Handyman
Martha Stewart Living
Macleans
Men's Health
Popular Mechanics
Popular Science
Real Simple
Rolling Stone
... and any others that look like they may have an article or two i'm interested in perusing.

Can never get enough, wish my library branch still had a few others they've dropped.
dave

There’s still a lot of print worth reading, but not as much that a small newsstand would ever stock.

We’re also in an age where creating print isn’t quite as expensive as it was, so there are a number of groups publishing journals / zines that can be great. A few that I still seek out or subscribe to:

- Harpers / The Atlantic / New Yorker
- The Baffler (great, smart writing)
- New York Review of Books - great writing and interesting debates
- Lutheran Forum (independent org)
- Laphams Quarterly

(Among others)

Top Bottom