What's new

Elvis, Playmate of the Month, etc

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Every time I go to a dollar store in a certain town, I'm treated to a couple of tabloids at the cash register. This isn't universal; at another I frequent, the periodicals are higher quality. I think the tabloids are still on display at a nearby Walmart, but usually what catches my eye there are books like Astrology for Dummies.

The "nudie books" are still available in places, but have moved behind counters, or are now in racks that cover all but the title (as seen in a convenience store). Some are both. Don't pay attention to the titles, just aware they are still there. Honest.

What I miss are local print versions of Popular Mechanics. Wanted to check out the magazine again, and haven't been able to find it anywhere locally. I can see some of the articles online, but wanted to compare the two.
Popular Mechanics was a great pub.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I still subscribe to four print magazines, and I love them: The New Yorker, New York Review of books, Book Forum, London Review of Books, the last three being text-oriented. I do read The NYTimes and the Guardian on-line, but I miss the print newspaper in the morning.
The New Yorker may always be with us.

Recently read some 50-year old Life magazines. Gemini, Apollo successes ... and on campus, activists warned "within 30 years, the environment will be destroyed." But that was before the 1970s "Next Ice Age Is Coming" scare.
You pick up a new Life magazine now, and they've totally given up on news and current affairs. They're all about looking back on historical events - Gemini, Apollo successes, '60 campus activism...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
You pick up a new Life magazine now, and they've totally given up on news and current affairs. They're all about looking back on historical events - Gemini, Apollo successes, '60 campus activism...

And notice what a shelf copy costs! I picked one up, $12.99!

Of course I read it and put it back. You can buy a shave soap, or 100 blades, or two alum blocks for that ...

AA

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Every time I go to a dollar store in a certain town, I'm treated to a couple of tabloids at the cash register. This isn't universal; at another I frequent, the periodicals are higher quality. I think the tabloids are still on display at a nearby Walmart, but usually what catches my eye there are books like Astrology for Dummies.

The "nudie books" are still available in places, but have moved behind counters, or are now in racks that cover all but the title (as seen in a convenience store). Some are both. Don't pay attention to the titles, just aware they are still there. Honest.

What I miss are local print versions of Popular Mechanics. Wanted to check out the magazine again, and haven't been able to find it anywhere locally. I can see some of the articles online, but wanted to compare the two.
I just subscribed to Popular Mechanics home delivery. They gave me two years for twenty bucks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The only publication I religiously subscribe to is Garden & Gun.

Seldom anything 'bout gardens or shooting; it is focused on bourbon, BBQ, music, art, and architecture in the South. It is just so well written!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The only magazines I take, anymore, are a few cooking ones, and I've recently let a couple of those go. Just about everything else I used to look at became too much like People magazine, and that's not my style. Texas Highways still is good, but I look at it online.

We do still get the local paper. Mrs TL goes through it every day, and I enjoy the occasional, leisurely stroll through it. The dog also likes to sit on it. I swear that he's half cat.

God bless you guys, I wish more of you lived where I work churning out a thinning daily. Yes, readership has dropped off. I also see, however, that companies aren't supporting the titles like they used to. Our publications are being abandoned at both ends.

I also used to subscribe to magazines, however the magazines I really liked kept going out of business, and then they'd transfer my subscription to a "similar" title.

Top Bottom