What's new

ELEVENTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2020 Edition

I've decided to push this thing a bit. Instead of just one blade for February, I'll also use one razor, one brush, one soap/cream, and one post-shave product for the entire month. It'll be reminiscent of the old Highlander Shaving Challenge (AKA There can be... only one!).

My setup will be:
Razor: RR Game Changer .84-P
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Yaqi Red Marble 26mm Tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Nivea Sensitive (cream in a tube)
Post-Shave: Nivea Sensitive ASB

Using the GC .84 everyday might be a challenge in itself. Good thing that February is a short month! :)

Depending on how it goes you can roll straight in to , "Fixed Four For March Madness."

I can’t believe I almost missed this! I’m definitely in.

1. GaryTha: Astra SP
2. Dog Whiskerer: Schick Super Chromium
3. Ryanshh: undecided
4. Ted A: Astra SP (?)
5. grizz_85: Personna Lab
6. Lancre: Wilkinson Sword
7. Timeclo: Astra SP
8. psfred: Shark Super Chrome
9. Demolition: Astra SP
10. abj: Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge (yellow)
11. NPK: BIC Chrome Platinum (?)
12. Esetter: Wilkinson Sword (England)
13. BrianC0428: Kai Captain Titan Mild ProTouch
14. KQY61: Personna Med Prep
15. Swaggatron: Feather
16. T.Orso: Bic Platinum Chrome
17. FoolishMortal: Gillette Nacet

I've decided to push this thing a bit. Instead of just one blade for February, I'll also use one razor, one brush, one soap/cream, and one post-shave product for the entire month. It'll be reminiscent of the old Highlander Shaving Challenge (AKA There can be... only one!).

My setup will be:
Razor: RR Game Changer .84-P
Brush: Yaqi Red Marble 26mm Tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Nivea Sensitive (cream in a tube)
Post-Shave: Nivea Sensitive ASB

Using the GC .84 everyday might be a challenge in itself. Good thing that February is a short month! :)

I'll be doing the same.
Razor: Van der Hagen (short handle)
Brush: Cremo Horse hair
Soap: Williams
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer.

I started using the blade on Jan 4th. I hope to keep using it through March.

Pls count me in.

I expect to have 18-21 shaves in course of the month as regularly I don't shave on a daily basis.

As of yet I never had so many shaves on one single blade. So as soon as the blade will start to feel too unconfortable I will quit.

My blade of choice will be a fresh german Wilkinson Sword.

4. Ted A: Astra SP (?)
18. JAHE: Wilkinson Sword (Germany)

1 down, 28 to go.
First shave with the 7 O'clock Sharp Edge (yellow), never had them before. Let's see how long this blade will last.
Prep : warm water
Pre shave : Proraso green
Shaving soap : Palmolive Men classic (stick, grated to a tin)
Brush : Omega Hi-brush 0146711
Razor : fatip grande OC
Alum : de Vergulde Hand
Aftershave : Sir Irisch Moos

I committed to the Astra. Nice shave too!

4. Ted A: Astra SP

• Schick Krona razor
  • NOS Schick Super Chromium blade (1)
  • Williams Mug Soap w/ an Omega boar brush, face lathered
  • Nivia Deep comforting post shave lotion

Thought the Krona would be a fitting platform for the first shave with a Schick Super Chromium blade. I've used one before, and got close comfortable shaves. A long lasting blade too, but we'll see how it does for the month.

Great shave except for the bump I sliced off on the point of my chin due to carelessness. First few shaves with a slant can be pretty extreme, but I find using a slant on "lesser" blades doubles the useful life of them.

We will see, more drag with that Shark Superchrome than I expect from top tier blades.

01-02-2020
Preshave: Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush: Semogue 1460 (Boar)
Soap: Proraso ~ White
Razor: Gillette Tech Ball End (E2/USA)
Blade: Wilkinson Sword / Germany (1)
Postshave: ice cold german tap water, Stirling Soap Executive Man AS

I started this challenge with a very mild razor. In course of the month I will switch to more aggressive ones. I guess I will do my final shaves with an adjustable on a higher setting (or even highest setting, if necessary) in order to compensate the loss of the blade's sharpness. But honestly, I don't know if this approach will have a positive impact at all.

01-02-2020
Preshave: Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush: Semogue 1460 (Boar)
Soap: Proraso ~ White
Razor: Gillette Tech Ball End (E2/USA)
Blade: Wilkinson Sword / Germany (1)
Postshave: ice cold german tap water, Stirling Soap Executive Man AS

I started this challenge with a very mild razor. In course of the month I will switch to more aggressive ones. I guess I will do my final shaves with an adjustable on a higher setting (or even highest setting, if necessary) in order to compensate the loss of the blade's sharpness. But honestly, I don't know if this approach will have a positive impact at all.

I suggest riding the top cap and using an ultra-light touch. Any cuts will be a result of too much pressure. Any irritation will be too steep an angle and too much pressure. (Generally speaking for both).

You will likely feel a change after five to ten shaves. This happens. The blade should cut whiskers just as well. If you have a "bad shave" with cuts or tugging, this is a result of faulty technique. Go a couple more shaves to see what happens. A blade is done when it won't efficiently cut whiskers anymore.

In only 29 shaves, there won't be much loss of sharpness for most people.

I suggest riding the top cap and using an ultra-light touch. Any cuts will be a result of too much pressure. Any irritation will be too steep an angle and too much pressure. (Generally speaking for both).

You will likely feel a change after five to ten shaves. This happens. The blade should cut whiskers just as well. If you have a "bad shave" with cuts or tugging, this is a result of faulty technique. Go a couple more shaves to see what happens. A blade is done when it won't efficiently cut whiskers anymore.

In only 29 shaves, there won't be much loss of sharpness for most people.
Thank you. I will keep your advice in mind!

1 down, 28 to go:

First shave with the UK Wilkinson Sword
Prep : Hot Shower
Shaving soap : Dr. Jon's Defiance
Brush : VDH Badger (How the heck did I wind up with one of those?)
Razor : Fatboy on 5
WH : Dickinson Astringent
Aftershave : Nivea Men Sensitive

Smooth effortless BBS!

Does moving up to an aggressive razor make a difference? I dont know. But it's what I do. Most of my blades end their run in a Fatboy set to 7.

Does moving up to an aggressive razor make a difference? I dont know. But it's what I do. Most of my blades end their run in a Fatboy set to 7.

Many in the Excalibur Club move to more aggressive razors, especially towards the end of the blade life. I only have one razor, so I didn't think of it.

I found that using my FatBoy on 7 all the time works as well as increasing the aggressiveness gradually. Gotta be careful the first ten or so shaves.

I also found that a slant helps a lot with super stainless blades as it reduces the drag I feel. Platinum blades last me long enough I don't really feel the need to extend their life much more. My current Personna Lab Blue is going to make 120 shaves if I don't damage it as I just changed to the "new" edge after 62 shaves.

Day 1:

• Bic Chrome Platinum (1)
  • Canadian prewar Tech
  • Cold water and Ach Brito soap prep
  • Omega mixed midget
  • Haslinger Schafmilch and Honig remnants combo
  • Witch hazel and Speick aftershave
Haven't used this razor in a while, and I have only used one of the Bic blades, for a week in an Old Type. Early impression is that I really like this blade. I left that razor loaded, but am starting this month with a different razor and a fresh blade.

Other than that it is my usual routine, with some rotation of brushes and soaps.

Bic in the Tech on day one was fantastic. Prospects look good for a month. I typically use a blade for two or three weeks anyway, until I feel some loss in performance or I just want a change.

Well, I went low tech for my, "random blade selection." I used the entirely unpredictable mind of the, "wife," and let her pick based entirely on the packaging. I decided I wanted to have at least 5 blades of anything I start with just in case I have to use a second, or third blade for any reason. Also most likely going to use my GC .84 OC for the full month.

Good luck/happy shaves all!

3. Ryanshh: Rapira Super Stainless
4. Ted A: Astra SP

Top Bottom