What's new

ELEVENTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2020 Edition

Time is running out, February is knocking on the door. Since @goby is not here for some unknown reason, I'll start the thread in his name. I'll copy/paste his text from the previous year.
May the blade be with you, and I hope @goby is ok.
-----------------------------------

It's that time of year. Time for the world famous "ONE BLADE IN FEBRUARY CHALLENGE!!"

Each year we have more and more participants. In the first year many used the legendary Personna 74 blade. The next six years participants used "mortal" blades, like Derby, Dorco, Astra, Feather, and Lions. It shocking how many shaves you can really get out of a blade, even a lowly Dorco or Derby can go the distance.

Here are the "rules":

1. "Try" to use one blade for the entire month of February. That means if you want to try a "mortal" blade, like a Derby or a Dorco, and you can get it to last 15 days, feel free to use a new Derby Day 16 and continue. (See Rule 3 and Rule 4.)

2. Push your blade as far as it can go. (See Rule 3 and Rule 4)

3. Have fun! (See Rule 4)

4. There are no rules! (See Rule 3)

This isn't a "contest," so if you want to use some magic gizmo to extend the life of your blade, feel free. I will be cleaning my blade with water each day, then swishing in a jar of rubbing alcohol. Some may hand strop it. Just share your method, shaving hardware and software, and have fun!

Feel free to use injectors or SE's. And if there is a way for you straight razors users to play, feel free (like no honing for a month?)

Good luck and have fun!!!

I am working on one blade for January 2020...BiC chrome platinum. If I can do it once I know I can do it again.

This could be interesting and fun!
If I shave on January 31, 2020 and only shave every 4th day, I can make it through February in 7 shaves,... that is certainly doable! No problem for a GSB! I gotta think on this some more....! Even every 3rd day would put me at 9 uses on one blade. I've never attempted that before (usually pitch after 5). Hmmmmmmmm....!

I'm in. Not sure what I'll use. I know which blades I can ride the whole month: Wizamet, Gillette Platinum Plus, Astra Super Stainless. I guess a real challenge would be picking a blade I usually bin after 8...12...14 shaves.

1. @GaryTha: Astra SP
2. Dog Whiskerer: undecided
3. Ryanshh: undecided

If I missed you, I'm sorry, please add above.

Done this the past two years and had fun. Probably will use a randomizer to pick my Blade but will update when I decide.

I’ll try with a new laser etched personna lab. Never got past 11 shaves on one blade(spoiler) these fresh personnas are something special though, already did 10 once

4. Lancre: Wilkinson Sword
5. Timeclo: Astra SP

I'm in! I'll be shaving with my Astra SP blade on its 10th use so far.

Leap year, too. Maybe I can get one more day out of a Nacet. I know these Shaverboys I've been using lately aren't up to it

I'm in. This year it will be a Shark SuperChrome in a slant. I've found that the slant really helps with longevity and comfort with super stainless blades. I really prefer platinums, they are much more comfortable and last longer for me. With that slant I get about double the life on super stainless blades and better shaves.

4. Ted A: Astra SP (?)
5. grizz_85: Personna Lab
6. Lancre: Wilkinson Sword
7. Timeclo: Astra SP
8. psfred: Shark Super Chrome
9. Demolition: Astra SP

I added @Ted A, @grizz_85, and @psfred to the list. I didn't add @NPK, @Granite.Glasser, and @Esetter because I'm unsure if they're definitely in.

Please update the list if you're in. :)

p.s. I'll use an Astra SP that is currently on 107 shaves.

I'm in. I'll start with a fresh blade.

10 abj Gillette : 7 O'clock Sharp Edge (yellow)

10 abj Gillette : 7 O'clock Sharp Edge (yellow)
11 NPK

I'm in but absolutely terrible with copy and paste on a tablet; I'll be back at a proper computer tomorrow.
I'll attempt with an English Wilkinson blade; I received two in a blister pack with a razor I bought a couple years ago. Never tried them but I've heard good things about their longievity.
I guess I'll find out.

Updated list (added Esetter):

10. abj: Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge (yellow)
11. NPK: BIC Chrome Platinum (?)
12. Esetter: Wilkinson Sword (England)

Top Bottom