What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89L

I just got my 89L in the mail. It's really nice - the pictures on the English Shaving Company website don't really do it justice. I'm looking forward to taking it out for a spin tomorrow!

Just received my DE89 today... and WOW!!! awesome looks and perfect weight!

Will have my first shave with it tonight... really looking forward to it :thumbup:.

love the way mine handles, and like someone mentioned, the pictures do it no justice, great looking & performing product:thumbup:

I guess I'll have to get one of these. I have 2 40s super speeds and a tech i need to get rid of first though before the wife gets wind of me buying another razor. PM me if you have any interest.

Wow!!! I'm almost speechless!

It handles so much better than my Merkur 180 LH. Tonight's shave has been the closest 3-pass shave I've ever had. I used my new DE89 with an Iridium Super ES blade (second time I've used this blade) combined with what I had left of my T&H Trafalgar sample cream and the result was as outstanding as I was expecting it to be.

Last edited:
I'm so impressed with this razor, I'm using it with Feathers and over the past couple of weeks have not had a bad shave, in fact it gets better everyday!

I just order the EJ DE89L today. What does anybody who uses one recommend for a blade for a newbie. The one I ordered is coming with a couple of Derby blades. I am brand new to this, never tried a wet shave before, can't wait for it to show up.

I just order the EJ DE89L today. What does anybody who uses one recommend for a blade for a newbie. The one I ordered is coming with a couple of Derby blades. I am brand new to this, never tried a wet shave before, can't wait for it to show up.

You may as well try the Derbys, unless there's another blade you've already tried and liked.

I'm really impressed with my DE89L.

I am going to try them first, was just wondering what anybody else liked best for blades with this razor. My next wet shave will be my first ever, so I don't really have anything else to compare them to.

I have always used Feathers or Astras, I've had excellent results with these combined with the DE89 and Muhle R89, close shaves with no irritation.

The blades that work best for me in the Muhle R89 are, in order of personal preference:
Super Iridium
Feather
followed by
Astra

I get constant, great shaves with Iridiums!
The Muhle and EJ razors are great!!

I think the EJ89 can work well with a wide variety of blades, so I agree that you should start with the Derbys that are coming with it and use those as a reference point.

I'm about a 4-5 month DE shaving Noo-bee myself, so I have been sort of in your shoes recently. At first, I actually liked my Parker 96r and 86r better than the EJ with equal blades. They seemed to offer a closer, easier-to-get shave. However, after my technique (blade angle, speed, etc.) improved, the true value of the 89 shined through. Now, I can barely look at the Parkers. The 89 is just a superior machine.

FWIW, so far I have found that I like blades on the "sharp" end of the spectrum best with the EJ. They seem to allow the head to work at its potential. Feathers have been my favorites, closely followed by Gillette Indian Black Ninjas and Thai Super Thins. Shark Chromes are nice too, but not as compatible with the 89 as the others IMO.

I have yet to try Astras or Iridiums, but I'm eager to do so!

I don't care for the Astra's in my 89. Finished a shave yesterday in which I was going for BBS for a night out on the town with the wife. It took me nearly 6 passes (with an Astra) to get there and I managed to have a fair bit of skin hanging off of me after.

In comparison, with a feather or Yellow 7 o'clock I can get there in 2-3.

I think since the 89 is somewhat tame (less aggressive) you need a sharp blade to make the combo work great.

Top Bottom