What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89.....

I have two Gillette Adjustables....a Fatboy, which was rejuvinated/rechromed here by The Captain, and a Slim Adjustable in its original state. I've had them both since college (MANY years go!), and when I went back to wet shaving 15 years ago, I dug them out of moth balls and have used them alternatively ever since. I have them each set on "5" and I get a DFS every time with either one!

I never contemplated a new razor until recently when I noticed that the Fatboy seems to be less able to keep the blade tight and stable during use. I find myself having to twist the handle at the bottom to tighten the blade nearly every time I rinse the soap off the head. So this started me thinking about a new razor.

I found a brand new Edwin Jagger DE89BA11 on Ebay, put it on my watch list for a while, and today I received an email from Ebay saying the seller would drop the price to $22 (free ship) if
I was still interested. I went ahead and pulled the trigger! I did considerable reading online when I first saw it available, and it sounds like it's not too aggressive, which suits me just fine
(I bought a Muhle once several years ago and it felt like I was pulling my whiskers out one painful tug at a time!).

Can anyone confirm that what I bought is going to be roughly comparable in aggressiveness to my Gillettes?? I already feel like I'm giving up something valuable in going from a TTO razor to one I have to take apart to clean, change blades, etc. (I realize I should asked this question BEFORE spending my money!!). Thanks in advance for your replies.....

Roughly comparable is a fair assessment. The DE89 was my first DE razor, and I got a Slim not too much later.
The DE89 is on the milder side. I have used shims with it.
I'd say the Slim on 4-5 is a good proxy.

So I never tried the Gillette fatboy as if yet but in all honesty the de89 is overhyped and for me isn't worth the price. I found it very inefficient for my face and whiskers I would rather and have bought the misdion razor and mentor razors from razorock they are way more efficient and smooth (mission) and inexpensive with a good weight. I puffed my de89 away and don't miss it and glad I did as well as repent purchasing it due to misinformed ppl promoting it as the top beginners razor. Also if you want a very inexpensive but even more mild the weishi razor is very good.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

I think the DE89 is a great razor. My only complaint is the smooth handle is so slippery. Since then I'm more inclined to stick to knurled handled razors.

Also have you considered giving the Fatboy a tune up? I know there are guys who restore and refinish old razors. You may be able to get it fixed up.

I have a DE88 with the knurled handle and it’s great! It is mild but I get BBS with no irritation so suits me when I’m on a DE day. I like it so much I haven’t felt the need to buy a 2nd DE.

IMO the DE 89 (or one of the 89 series) is well worth a try! It is definitely in the mild/moderate range.

The de 89 is well regarded by many of our members. You will get a nice shave with it. To compare it to a Slim, I would say the EJ shaves like a Slim on 3 - 4.

The DE80 is a very sound, reliable razor IMO. It's not at the forefront of my rotation, but I usually take it along when I go on a trip and am never disappointed with its performance.

MY DE89 is one of my all time favorite DE razors. It is extremely versatile.
For an easy quick shave. Smooth blade-Derby Extra or Prime, thick lather-MWF, an almost mindless swiping away.
For a close BBS. Feather blade, thinner lather, attention to razor angle. Care in applying no pressure with each stroke of three passes.

The EJ89 gives me very smooth and comfortable shaves. It’s a very nice razor and not one I would part with. Comparing it to a slim... I would say it’s like a slim set on 4 or 5.

I think the DE89 is a great razor. My only complaint is the smooth handle is so slippery. Since then I'm more inclined to stick to knurled handled razors.

Also have you considered giving the Fatboy a tune up? I know there are guys who restore and refinish old razors. You may be able to get it fixed up.

Thanks for all of your positive replies. Sounds like this razor should be just about right for me.....can't wait
to give it a try! Happy shaving!!

The new razor just arrived in this morning's mail. It is beautiful and well made. First impressions: I certainly prefer the TTO convenience of my Gillettes, but I'm retired, so if it takes me a few extra minutes to clean up after a shave, no big deal! I shaved with my usual setup....Stirling soap, badger brush, Derby Extra blade. It didn't do as good a job below the jaw line and neck area, so I would rate my first shave a DFS, but definitely not a BBS. Somebody suggested experimenting with shaving angles...a point well taken. I'll take it slow and just assume there is a learning curve like with any other new thing....a new golf club, a new computer, etc. I'd rate its performance as just a "B" right now, whereas my Gillette Adjustables are both "A's."

Try a Feather blade in your new DE89, really good shave for me. As another adjustable, try the Parker Variant, you can dial it up or down for different areas of your face and I find its about the same angle as the DE89. Oh and the Variant is all metal.

Not having tried the 3one6 I can’t help you there I’m afraid. Though the reviewers you’ve already watched (if the same as mine) seem to be saying it’s a bit more aggressive.

Top Bottom