What's new

Educate a watch noob: What makes a military watch just that?

NFW makes amazing watches. As far as what makes a military watch. I used a g shock for most of my military service. They are rugged and loaded with features or a timex indiglo. If I were still serving I would probably use an automatic watch with tritium vials and amazing water resistance. if it was a gmt watch it would be helpful as we use zulu time that way everyone is on the same time during missions.

So what about Vostok watches? I have an orange scuba dude with a blue dude on the way. Changed out the metal strap for a NATO style and a new orange bezel and for the £50 all in it works a treat. Also have a Komandarski coming to.

So what about Vostok watches? I have an orange scuba dude with a blue dude on the way. Changed out the metal strap for a NATO style and a new orange bezel and for the £50 all in it works a treat. Also have a Komandarski coming to.

I think they qualify, as they were specifically made, in the beginning, for use by the Soviet military. The fact they don't and never had a hacking feature is a serious detriment to its ultimate use as a military watch. They were made starting in the 1960s. Allied military watches from WW2, 20 years before the Vostoks, all had a hack ability as a design requirement.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
As far as I know, there's no formal rule, enforced by some sort of government agency, as to what that "military watch" term means. So it could mean

1. what you say it means
  2. what a niche set of collectors and geeks on the internet basically agree it means
  3. what some company marketing department says
  4. all of the above
  5. none of the above
  6. 42.

So, I guess I'd start with "this was actually made for and issued to a military organisation somewhere." Then I'd look at watches that meet specific functional criteria (the "geek agreement" option, if you will) starting with a display that shows 24-hour "military time" on the face and so forth. Beyond that, anything that is olive green and looks kind of tough is probably "military" in someone's book somewhere.

42 is always the correct answer, but what is the question?

My earlier tongue-in-cheek answer notwithstanding, the term "military" applied to a current production watch usually means very little. If you are looking for a previously (or currently in other countries) issued watch, that is really the most accurate use of the word in my opinion. The most modern U.S. issued watch I've ever seen was manufactured in 1983, and like I said before they were no longer being issued in 1989 when I enlisted.

The watches formerly issued to U.S. military personnel were basic, 17j hand-wound mechanical movements, normally ticking at 21,600 bph with a black dial and white hands/numbers. Often the markings were luminous, and the watches had dubious water resistance at best. Plain stainless cases were the norm, as were black or dark brown leather straps. Nylon straps were less common than you might think, and I've never seen one that was originally issued with the NATO strap that is popular. These watches were easy to read in most light conditions, easy to maintain by military watchmakers, and made by several manufacturers over the years.

Rolex Submariners were issued to Navy Seals and divers for a long time as they were the only watches available with the required water resistance.

After reading this post I got a little carried away myself. After seeing that Chinese watch from GlennConti I spent most of today reading up on them and then pulled the trigger on one. Same model with the green NATO strap but I went with a plain back in stead.

$seagull 1963.jpg

And as I haven't had a Timex since I was a kid. I bid a mere £51 with P&P on this older model Timex power reserve.

$Timex power reserve.jpg

Not sure if it counts though as military. Going to change out the strap for brown leather or a NATO.​

To me (as was mentioned before) it is just marketing hype. An original German Flieger would qualify, Rolex mil-sub, some soviet classic army watches that can still be found would be to me true mil spec watches.

I have a BR01 that looks like an aircraft gauge, a Rolex Sub, and a Steinhart Nav-B Uhr (navigator watch) none of them are true military watches. (although very cool). I guess the pocket watch my father carried in Korea may qualify but that's about it.
Buy a watch because you like the style and enjoy it!

I really haven't come across military watches as a particular style (not like field or pilot watches). It can be a watch worn by members of the military, watches associated with the military, or watches that look like something someone from the military would have worn.

In my mind, a military STYLE watch would be something like this...simple, easy to read, practical instead of dressy, and often on a durable fabric strap:

proxy.php

Legion

Staff member
This is what a military watch looks like. Has the Commonwealth government property broad arrow stamped on the back. Carried by my grandfather through WW2.

proxy.php

Top Bottom