What's new

Ebay for DSLR?

Hi all. I've decided to purchase a Nikon D5300. Looking at the retail on Nikon's site the price is not bad. But I went to Amazon and ebay. Ebay has deals for the camera and many accessories. One of which is has an 18-140 mm lens in addition to another lens. The sellers are top rated but it seems so weird to offer this gigantic package for about the same as the body itself. Has anybody purchased on eBay and got exactly what was listed?

No experience personally, but the professional photographer at works says no, not a good idea. One caviat to that though...He says in his hobbyist forums there is some love for KEH; he has his own site but also has an ebay store; so if you stick with KEH you may be ok; buyer be ware or wary as the saying goes. Again, no personal experience other than browsing for lenses on that site.

I've looked at camera accessories on eBay before but instead stayed with my gut feeling and bought them from B&H like I've always done.

They are usually the same price as Amazon but since I'm in CT only one state away that means their free shipping gets to me the next day. Plus having no tax brings them out into first place now that Amazon charges tax here...

That and if you ever have any problem with your camera or accessories you'll be happy you chose a place with a good reputation and customer service.

I'd be cautious primarily because many new eBay photographic items are "grey market" ... that is, imported to the US outside of official channels. Depending on the manufacturer and specifics, this might void the item's warranty.

Not sure about Ebay. KEH is always a great place to go for camera gear. I've never bought digital gear from them, but I don't think you would have any problems.

Here is just a body they have listed. I'm also not sure about the rating system and their digital gear. For the analog medium format gear I buy, I always look for the UG (ugly) rating. I recently purchased a lens (mamiya 180mm) that was rated UGLY, and I swear its brand new.

You also might want to browse Craigslist.

I'd be cautious primarily because many new eBay photographic items are "grey market" ... that is, imported to the US outside of official channels. Depending on the manufacturer and specifics, this might void the item's warranty.
+1. Buy from a reputable US dealer and make sure that the ad, listing or even a phone call confirms that the camera comes with USA warranty FROM THE MANUFACTURER. In these days, when cameras are computerized, you don't want to have to deal with paying for repairs if you can avoid it.

KEH for used, B&H and Adorama for new. There's a handful of Ebay sellers who appear to have stellar ratings. The problem is that they send out crap all the time, but if you challenge them, they make you send it back on your dime (and insurance). At that point, Ebay cancels any neg feedback, since the purchase was voided. A number of "deals" are broken up kits with rebates removed so you may not have access to the documentation you need to register the warranty.

Some good advice, above. My son bought a Nikon last year. The camera was listed as new and with a warranty. After 6 months he started having problems with it. He brought it to a Nikon authorized repair facility and they informed him the camera was grey market and did not have the Nikon warranty with it. He then contacted the seller who told him the warranty was from a company outside the U.S.

I would not buy camera gear through eBay. I have heard stories of expensive used lenses being purchased for their full price (going rate for used lenses) and finding out they were demo lenses with only the front and rear lens elements. Then the seller claims the buyer stripped it out after it arrived and so on. Nightmare stuff. Another buy/sell on a forum I won't mention listed fabulous, hard to find, expensive, legendary lenses at about 60% of their going price. Communication was good, payments were accepted to the tune of around $25,000 if I recall correctly. Guess what arrived in the mail? Sugar, plush toys, and so on. No recourse for recouping losses.

KEH is the first place I would look to for used gear (sometimes even new gear) if I lived in the US.

I don't know about currently, but B&H used to sell grey market cameras alongside US market cameras, but they listed them as such. Grey market doesn't necessarily mean illegal importation, just that that camera was made for a different market than the US. Nikon does not warranty grey market cameras. Believe me, I know....

Also, be sure to seek out any local shops. Being you live in a very photogenic locale I'm sure there is a dealer there. The upsides to buying from a local store is often the fringe benefits that come along with it. Extra recommended accessories, tips and tricks, deals on prints, giving it a test drive, side by side comparison in your hand with your eyes, things you just can't get from even the best online photo houses around (like Adorama, B&H, MPEX, KEH, etc).

Also, personal preference here, I would look at the D5200 over the D5300. They didn't really change much at all, one stop more iso, IQ is the same, battery life is close, same resolution. Basically, I don't see enough of a difference to spend another $200 on a D5300 over the D5200. Especially if you are looking at eBay for prices. That difference alone is enough to get you another lens.

Just my $0.02.

I would never buy expensive stuff that can break from Ebay. I like shops that have a physical presence, and (in my case) offer a EU warranty. Many shops also sell second hand equipment with a warranty. Worth a look, I would say.

I will be the odd man out here. Except for one camera body, I have purchased almost all my gear on ebay and have saved 1000s of $. Bought my Nikon 70-200 f2.8 ($2000 lens) for $800 on the bay and it's awesome. If warranty is the biggest deal, then you can afford to pay retail prices and have no need for ebay in the first place. But in terms of just getting ripped off with something broken, its not likely. I am an avid ebay buyer and seller and can tell you if an item is not as its described you get your money back. Paypal (owned by ebay) will refund your $ if you think you have been cheated. It can take some time, but if you know what to look for and pay attention to details, you can still make a good deal on the Bay. JMHE

I don't know about currently, but B&H used to sell grey market cameras alongside US market cameras, but they listed them as such. Grey market doesn't necessarily mean illegal importation, just that that camera was made for a different market than the US. Nikon does not warranty grey market cameras. Believe me, I know....

You're correct B&H sold and I belive still sells some grey market items. The Grey market items are identical but just made in Japan for the Asian market place.

Because this bypasses the camera company's minimum price restrictions for U.S. sales, Canon & Nikon will not warranty any Grey market items. That's why if you choose to save a bit of money with Grey market you need to buy from a reputable dealer like B&H. B&H will match the manufacturer's warranty with their own warranty which is just as good.

Hi all. I've decided to purchase a Nikon D5300. Looking at the retail on Nikon's site the price is not bad. But I went to Amazon and ebay. Ebay has deals for the camera and many accessories. One of which is has an 18-140 mm lens in addition to another lens. The sellers are top rated but it seems so weird to offer this gigantic package for about the same as the body itself. Has anybody purchased on eBay and got exactly what was listed?

I did. I scored great D600

KEH Adorama and B&H are all great sources for used equipment
I whole heartedly agree.
I have bought a lot of used gear from from these shops over the years. Also Amazon usually has great deals on used stuff.
You get good deals with very good peace of mind.
I'm sure that a lot of folks have gotten good deals from Ebay too, but just too much opportunity forgetting crap for me.
Amazon has a pretty much an airtight return policy on used gear. Just can't beat that for me.

I have purchased used bodies from KEH over the year for my Photography business.
KEH is great. Good prices, and their cameras always seem better ghan what they grade them at.

Top Bottom