What's new

Eau d'Émeraude

Gents, for those of you who prefer to use an un- or very lightly-scented splash, let me call your attention to this product.

full

Image courtesy of manufactum.com's website

The ingredients are water, alcohol, honey, Spanish sage, rosemary & peppermint. That's pretty much it. No colorants have been added -- the "emerald" coloring is a byproduct of the ingredients (the glass bottle it comes in is clear). It's got a very light, herbal scent that disappears almost immediately.

This product is made by Benedictine monks in Bouzy-la-Forêt, France, and guys, this has to be the most moisturizing splash I own. (And in the dead of winter, that's saying something!) You can practically feel it working as you splash it on. Stings a bit from the alcohol, but it's very mild. It's become my new favorite splash.

All of this is good news. The bad news is that as far as I can tell, it's only available from Manufactum's website (and in the dental section, no less! Guess it can be used as a mouthwash too, although they specifically mention using it as an aftershave in the product description). The product itself is only €9 (about $12) but the shipping cost is outrageous. However, those of you willing to pay the shipping charges will be rewarded. This is great stuff indeed.

If any of you own this product, please post your opinion. Would love to know what you think.

Thanks, gents!

Last edited by a moderator:
yes.this is great stuff,made by nuns,very natural aroma and healing properties...another great aftershave, also by french benedictine nuns , is lotion opaline

Attachments

• $yyy 031.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 396
yes.this is great stuff,made by nuns,very natural aroma and healing properties...another great aftershave, also by french benedictine nuns , is lotion opaline

+1 on the Lotion Opaline, altho imho it's nowhere near as moisturizing & healing as the Emerald Water. But it smells fantastic -- very light & citrusy.

+1 on the Lotion Opaline, altho imho it's nowhere near as moisturizing & healing as the Emerald Water. But it smells fantastic -- very light & citrusy.

yes ! I love the scent of opaline...it has the fastest dissipation time of any a/s I ever owned,it surely is one I would love to have linger awhile...

Honey among the ingredients? :blink: And there's no sticky residue?

Not in the slightest, no. It's blended so well that all of the honey's moisturizing & healing properties seem to be there (along with its characteristic, low-key pleasant smell) but with zero stickiness.

I have not tried this, but it does seem to have a long history indeed.

I saw this review on the net:

"Je mets d'une eau d'émeraude si agréable .. sur ma jambe... elle console et perfectionne tout."
(20 juin et 1er juillet 1685)

I have not tried this, but it does seem to have a long history indeed.

I saw this review on the net:

"Je mets d'une eau d'émeraude si agréable .. sur ma jambe... elle console et perfectionne tout."
(20 juin et 1er juillet 1685)

Wow. Cool! I think that's Joel's review. He wrote it during a European vacation a few years back ... :001_tt2:

Looks like it's also available here for a bit cheaper. Still the outrageous 22 Euros for shipping though. Too bad because it sounds like an interesting product.

I just realized,evbo's photo and my photo have different labels !...the bottle in my photo says "DAS eau d' emeraude" ...sure ! now I remember I did by it from a dealer online in germany !

I've had my eye out for these two for so long, but the overseas shipping, oh...

SCORE!!

Ran across this thread last week and over the weekend looked online to see if I could find some hidden part of the 'net where it could be bought without extortionist shipping fees. No joy. Nearly pulled the trigger three or 4 times, but the postman delivered about 3 new packages of "stuff" and it seemed a bad time to spend more with TLOML watching.

So, yesterday I'm on conference call for work and one of my colleagues who's on the call happens to be in Paris for a few days. The conversation goes like this:

Me: Dom, I forgot you were in Paris. How much longer you gonna be there?

Dom: (In British) Leaving tomorrow afternoon for London, why?

Me: Well, if you have a little free time, can you pick something up for me?

Dom: I am not picking up some fancy french shaving brush for you. Just forget about it.
[General laughter and chuckling at my expense]

Me: Damn you, sir.

Dom: What do you need?

The rest is details, but I sent him an address for a shop in central paris and he made the trek in spite of it cutting close to his departure time. He picked me up 2 250ml bottles of the l'eau, but more importantly, he had his own adventure while getting it. Stopped in a cafe near the shop which turns out to have been Hemingway's hangout when he was there. So then he notices that a bunch of the chairs have got the names of famous regulars on them. Looks down at his own and sees "J. P. Sartre".

So it worked out great for all of us. I get some cool aftershave on the cheap, Dom has an adventure and we all get good stories out of it.

Top Bottom