What's new

Dying your facial hair

At 58 my temples are grey, the top is still dark blond/light brown and the moustache and goatee and soul patch are totally silver! I wouldn't change it! The key here for me in the hairstyle and facial hair style. If you keep them either current or classic you'll look great no matter what! Accept the grey and be true to yourself! Very rarely have a seen a "dye-job" of any kind that doesn't look phony on a guy! Accept who you are, what you look like and take care of yourself and you'll be fine in life!

I did it once and I did not liked it at all - I looked like a thug with a fake beard. So I shaved it away in no time. After that... I realized (with horror) that my chin was tainted black.

Wife and kids regret not having a pic of me and my beard in black.

Since my first post, I have touched it up a few times. One of the people who made any comment at all ( he knew about it because I told him in a text during a conversation) told me he thinks it looks pretty good. The other person I told in person when we were discussing the new way I had my facial hair (went from full beard to friendly mutton chops) said he liked it because it didn't look fake. My wife likes it, she really likes the way the hair in the temple area looks. It has ended up being an interesting shade of brown, with a hint of grey, hard to describe, I'm colorblind. I see colors, just not as many shades as a person not colorblind.

Nobody else I know has seemed to even notice, not even my mother, lol. Overall I'm really happy with the way it has turned out, not sure how long I'll keep doing it though. I basically did this as more of an experiment, my hair was never just one color even when I was a kid, now its a medium/dark brown with touches of grey. I guess if I get bored or content with finally seeing my hair almost the same color, I'll just let it grow out/fade back to natural.

Last edited:
I have recently started growing my beard out as well. Been a few years and is coming in more greyer than the last time I grew it out. I asked some of the women I work with what they thought about me dyeing it. They all said "NO!". Consequently, one of the other guys I work with that is usually rather rude to the ladies, asked the same question. They told him do whatever. Guess it does pay to be a gentelman to the ladies.

I often use the medium brown color of Just for Men. Based on the light amount of grey in my beard, it matches up well with the hair color. It looks even better after a day or two, when the color looks a touch bit less sharp.

I've been using the Just for Men every 2 weeks. The color is faded in a week and a half.
I'm looking for some alternatives or suggestions.

Chemical burns around his entire face and mouth. Idiot.

Frank

How about some empathy and compassion?
You come across like a real D-bag.

Last edited:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
How about those folks whose beard hair is a totally different color than their head hair?
Many years ago when I was a mere tadpole, my hair was dark brown, most of my beard was brown/black with an occasional red strand. My moustache and chin beard was flaming red. Folks used to ask if I dyed my beard. No, I didn't, it's just some weird genetic thing, weird because no one in my family had red hair. Decided long ago that I wasn't dying my hair when it went white, which hasn't happened yet, same for my whiskers, which have gone almost pure white.

Did it once. It felt like a tupé. So I decided to clean shave; I realized that dying my beard meant dying my skin, so I had to cleanse it with bleach.
It made my Wife's day; she wanted to take me a picture with the dyed beard and post it in Face Book. She backed off after mentioning divorce.
Just don't.

Not exactly what you're talking about, but one of my favorite drummers dyes his beard... Maybe you could spice it up in the like. :thumbup1:

proxy.php

Ha! look at these remarks! Imagine of all new wet shavers gave up after their first, less-than-perfect result. In any die job, you control the color and the time it is in play. Start with a shade lighter than you desire, and leave on for 4 minutes. Experiment with longer times and/or darker shades. If you get a result that's too dark - trim it down 1/4 inch which will significantly lighten it up. A little beard oil afterwards will bring back in natural highlights. It's really not that hard.

Many folks just go way too dark, or leave it on for too long - and give up after just one go. You have to practice restraint. Do you really think all those 35+ women out there have fantastic hair without any grey?! Or is it more likely that it's just a good dye job?

Top Bottom