What's new

Dressing down Finishing stones

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Anything beyond the Atoma 600 and minor burnishing with steel is a little overkill. Mikawa naguras are also good to condition (deglaze or de-swarf) a surface, as is a King 1k.
I've been having good results with 240 and 400 s/c wet dry on my stones lately, but that gets me thinking of a use for my Sharp Pebble 400/1k...

~doug~

Only time I use SIC is when I have to lap an Ark, Charley, Llyn Id, etc. The stuff can embed in softer stones, it can even embed into steel. So I keep it for super hard stones only, and I finish polish them on W/D which seems to clear any embedded particulate.

Slate, most slate, I don't bring to a high polish. A lot of slate fairly inconsistent so it's not unusual for a slate hone to be 'ok' then not, and then 'ok' again, and so on. I usually take slates up to 325x on WD, or a worn diamond plate. I relegate slates, usually, to mid-range work and I find they do their best that way. Even Eschers don't get more than a 4-600x finish.

I used to finish polish stones with a BBW - had a 10x3x1 slab and it was pretty good for that purpose. Thing is, I found purple slurry running off a few recently lapped/polished stones. When drying they stained paper towel a recognizable purple - they were not purple stones, white, yellow, green...so definitely from the BBW.
So I stopped using the BBW for that. I use them in the kitchen sometimes, the feedback is great with heavier blades and they do a good job of bumping edges on paring knives.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Perhaps you'll come over to the dark side once that new dama Toyama needs a polish... ;))
I’ll never polish the Toyama. I’m going cut into as many prime ribs as I can with that thing and hope it turns into a rainbow. 🤪

I’ll never polish the Toyama. I’m going cut into as many prime ribs as I can with that thing and hope it turns into a rainbow. 🤪

Oh yeah, that's another option that'd look wicked!

Cooked chicken is extremely good for it, this is a Mazaki petty I have which was shiny polished before, and then I used it to carve a chicken. Light had gone a bit by the time I got round to taking a pic, but you get the idea...

IMG-3028.JPG

(Sorry for derailing your thread OP. I shall stop now!)

Top Bottom