What's new

Dr Martens Boots/Shoes?

Our joke about Doc's was we all grew up from being students but their prices stayed the same, so they are really affordable now. I've owned many a pair but the way they are cut now is insanely uncomfortable around the front laces (as in they dig in right at the Navicular). The equivalent of these that I buy now are the Fluevog angels but they are a good deal more expensive

Our joke about Doc's was we all grew up from being students but their prices stayed the same, so they are really affordable now. I've owned many a pair but the way they are cut now is insanely uncomfortable around the front laces (as in they dig in right at the Navicular). The equivalent of these that I buy now are the Fluevog angels but they are a good deal more expensive

The red ones I tried on were tight there and loose at the top. These black ones fit just right, a little snug but not too tight or loose anywhere. I would recommend anyone buying some to try on several pair to get ones that fit you. With a little mink oil and wear they should be perfect. I think my last pair were a lot more uncomfortable and needed more breaking in. But with that said they are not dead yet.
proxy.php

Johnny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Avi
The red ones I tried on were tight there and loose at the top. These black ones fit just right, a little snug but not too tight or loose anywhere. I would recommend anyone buying some to try on several pair to get ones that fit you. With a little mink oil and wear they should be perfect. I think my last pair were a lot more uncomfortable and needed more breaking in. But with that said they are not dead yet.

Johnny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Docs are the only ones I’ve had this recent issue with .. ( around the same time the stores started popping up in cities in the US ) but you are right it is inconsistent as in only some boots. We thought they had a QC issue or something. Fluevogs also had QC issues and at that point my wife would say stop buying teenager club boots ;)

Actually those look way more comfortable than the hard leather ones I’m used to.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I'm almost 74 and still wear my Docs. I have several pairs wingtips, which are always cool, plus some derbies and loafers. Still wear my boots in winter on occasion. Today, in fact, I'll be opting for a pair of bronze DM boots to get me through some rain puddles and snow flurries.

Most of my Docs date back 20 or so years; they are of English manufacture. More recent purchases have come from Vietnam and Thailand. The quality seems fine, and they still retain English sizing.

Now if I could just find some DM saddle shoes . . .

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I bought these when I was a student in 1990 and have worn them regularly but not as much on recent years as I am in my early 50s now. Inside they are embossed in gold "One In A Million, 30th Anniversary". They will last me the rest of my life and are in fantastic condition for their age being 30 years old.

20201231_092651.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have had these for a couple of years only. The soles are already wearing down and I can see through them as they are not as dense. They are not marked 'Made in England' unlike my boots shown in the post above. Very poor quality compared to the boots and I would not buy again.

20201231_101616.jpg

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I had a pair of Doc Marten boots I absolutely loved and wore out about ten years ago. I don't remember if they were recraftable, but I didn't try. Now that I know more about footwear, I wouldn't buy another pair. Maybe if I found one on a really good sale. But it appears to me that quality has fallen off pretty precipitously since Docs became a fashion item, kind of like Timberlands. There's some interesting videos on Youtube of a guy who cuts boots in half to see their construction and unfortunately Docs and Tims show a lot of shoddy construction. I'm sure they're still fine for casual wear, but not what I'm looking for in a boot anymore.

I've probably had 6 or seven pairs over the years. Couple of boots, couple of dress shoes, couple of slip on loafers and clogs. My last couple of pairs weren't comfortable. The arch completely broke down in weeks. Felt like the fits / sizing changed too.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I had a pair of Doc Marten boots I absolutely loved and wore out about ten years ago. I don't remember if they were recraftable, but I didn't try. Now that I know more about footwear, I wouldn't buy another pair. Maybe if I found one on a really good sale. But it appears to me that quality has fallen off pretty precipitously since Docs became a fashion item, kind of like Timberlands. There's some interesting videos on Youtube of a guy who cuts boots in half to see their construction and unfortunately Docs and Tims show a lot of shoddy construction. I'm sure they're still fine for casual wear, but not what I'm looking for in a boot anymore.
I guess I'm spoiled. Most of my Docs and my Timberlands go back at least 20 years; they are wearing just fine.

Had a few pair in UG/Law School and immediately thereafter.

Very comfy. I supinate so I would put a heel plate on them just as soon as they show where it needs to go. I go rid of a couple of pair 10-12 years ago and should not have.

My default position is that all of the made in England models past and present are good to go presuming a good fit.

All of the non made in England models are suspect unless specifically proven otherwise, model for model, shoe for shoe, on your foot. The difference between my daughter's 1460s is immediately apparent, imho.

I was in retail at Macy's/Dillard's from 1981-1987. I started working professionally as a Fortune 100 Sales rep in 1988 before going to law school and graduating in 92. All of that to say, I lived in real time, all manner of clothing/shoe manufacturers shift production from the USA to place X and Europe to place x as well.

With shoes particularly -Italy to Spain,Spain to Mexico, Mexico to Brazil, Brazil to India, India to China etc.

Price stayed roughly the same, quality always went down.

FWIW/YMMV

Doc Martens were good back in the days, today I don't wear them anymore. They became crap. The original manufacturer still produces air cushion shoes and boots in the original quality that made Doc Martens famous under the brand "Solovair".

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Doc Martens were good back in the days, today I don't wear them anymore. They became crap. The original manufacturer still produces air cushion shoes and boots in the original quality that made Doc Martens famous under the brand "Solovair".
Interesting I’m going to bookmark that. I like several styles of the solovair but would probably need to try it on so I don’t think I’d buy on line.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Had Docs boots in the mid 60s Doc shoes in the early 90s.
Now I wear Redback boots. I absolutely love Redbacks. They are like Blundstone boots but better IMO.

I have 2 pairs of the Made in England 1460 boots and love them just as much as the orginals made by NPS I used to wear back in the early 90's. I'm getting into Solovairs by NPS now too. They're a pretty great product.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I had a pair of Doccers as we called them, roughly 35 years ago. They were very comfy boots when they broke in, but the soles just wore out way too fast. By the first winter, they barely had any tread, and I was sliding all over the place. Resoling was available back then, but it didn't seem worth the cost for the short lifespan. Never bought another pair since.

Nowadays, I get much better lifespan, traction, and comfort, from significantly lower priced hiking boots. OK, I don't get the iconic look, but that look to me just says heavy, overpriced and short lived. Maybe the Solovair is better, but at those prices, I'm not inclined to take the gamble.

I've got my 8-hole greasy black docs. The same I've been wearing since 1984 or so. I also recently a pair of Solovair monkey boots and some other more fancy ones. I wish docs were made as well as they used to be.

Top Bottom