What's new

Dovo Shavette

B

Barney14

I am thinking about getting a Dovo shavette, are they any good, is using a standard size razor in them OK or should a longer blade be used and who other than Dovo make good long blades.

Thanks in advance.

The Feather Artist Club are very nice and the prices have come way down in the last several months.
AC.jpg

I started to get a Dovo, but opted for the Feather folding SS Shavette. The Artist Club blades are very sharp and last well.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I use mine with the half DE blades, and it does a fine job. I refuse to add a different type of disposable blade to my already cumbersome shaving array, and would really struggle to find justification to do so anyway. The DE blades work fine for me in a DE razor, and they work just fine in a DE shavette too. The only difference for me, is the fact that I'm not as experienced with using the blade in the shavette as I am in a standard DE razor.

B

Barney14

I use mine with the half DE blades, and it does a fine job. I refuse to add a different type of disposable blade to my already cumbersome shaving array, and would really struggle to find justification to do so anyway. The DE blades work fine for me in a DE razor, and they work just fine in a DE shavette too. The only difference for me, is the fact that I'm not as experienced with using the blade in the shavette as I am in a standard DE razor.

I don't want to add the hassle of adding other types of blade either, the Dovo comes in at an excellent price point too, is there anything similar to the Dovo worth looking at.

I don't want to add the hassle of adding other types of blade either, the Dovo comes in at an excellent price point too, is there anything similar to the Dovo worth looking at.

Not trying to dissuade you from what you think is best, but your thinking would be to not to consider a GEM type razor or Schick injector razor because the blades are different. A DE blade is going to be the same whether its in a shavette or DE. An Artist Club, GEM SE, and Schick blade are thicker and behave/shave differently than any thin DE type. I would think variety to be the spice of life.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

Different style, but I'm also considering picking up a Razorine at some point this year.

M

member 119848

The dovo shavette is a good razor. Though, when you have tried a Feather before, the Dovo feels filmsy. I only use the long blades in mine, and get excellent close shaves with it. The price of the long blades is about the same as the Artist Club blades. So in comparaison with a Feather, the AC system offer a better value for the money.
Personnally, I have never really liked using the Dovo with half DE blades. The long blades offer a generous lenght that is similar to the lenght of a straight.

B

Barney14

The dovo shavette is a good razor. Though, when you have tried a Feather before, the Dovo feels filmsy. I only use the long blades in mine, and get excellent close shaves with it. The price of the long blades is about the same as the Artist Club blades. So in comparaison with a Feather, the AC system offer a better value for the money.
Personnally, I have never really liked using the Dovo with half DE blades. The long blades offer a generous lenght that is similar to the lenght of a straight.

Thank you for your help

I have used split DE blades and the long blades in my Dovo Shavette. I get great shaves with both blades. However, I like the long blade because I am also a traditional straight razor shaver. You need the green insert to use the long blade. Personna and Fromm hairshaper blades are the only blades that will fit in the green insert. Good Luck!

Use a Dovo Shavette and have no complaints. I use long Merkur blades in them and get BBS in 2 passes. Blade selection is more about how much of the blade you use during your shave that will determine standard DE or the longer ones.

The Dovo is very light which I found to be beneficial in learning a very light touch when shaving. I have Olive wood scales, the aluminum is heavier but not a lot.They are also a lot cheaper than the Feather.

Top Bottom