What's new

Double ring parade

What it has to do with this thread, though?
You' might want to start a new thread with that question.

This thread has inevitably gone on to limited discussion of single rings, and they have been described as two piece razors. Therefore I feel that this is an appropriate place to ask for clarification of the term.

Toby,

I think you might be correct. I would consider these a 3-piece razor just like some of the NEWs and Old types where the base plate and top cap unscrew from the handle and make 3 pieces. I consider 2-piece razors like a NEW (#77) or Merkur where the knob twists on the bottom but does not come out of the razor and there is only a top plate. I could be wrong though on my interpretation.

Thank you Chronarch,

Exactly who makes these determinations?

Thank you Chronarch,

Exactly who makes these determinations?

I would assume the collective brain trust here at B&B that have been researching razors for many more years than you and I. I am reduced to a simplified explanation. When a razor is fully taken apart how many pieces are laying around? In the case of the Old types I see three pieces no matter which model it is.

I would assume the collective brain trust here at B&B that have been researching razors for many more years than you and I. I am reduced to a simplified explanation. When a razor is fully taken apart how many pieces are laying around? In the case of the Old types I see three pieces no matter which model it is.

Exactly. All the OT are 3 or 4-piece razors. AFAIK the only 2-piece Gillettes are razors like the #77/88, and there's also examples of 2-piece #81s and English Criterion/Belmont sets . Only England made 2-piece razors.

Last edited:

Me too. :thumbup1:

Exactly. All the OT are 3 or 4-piece razors. AFAIK the only 2-piece Gillettes are razors like the #77/88, and there's also examples of 2-piece #81s and English Criterion/Belmont sets . Only England made 2-piece razors.

So the bottom part of the handle on the two piece is trapped internally so it can't come out? i assume the answer is yes.

Thank you Edgar!!! :thumbup1:

Does anyone have a picture of a Double Ring to share?

Here you go John. Only a few months after your request. I sold the one I presented earlier in this thread to its previous owner since he inquired about it a year later. :lol: Had some help finding this one soon after.

If you look at the head you will see the cap is thicker on the 21'-28'. This is called a 102a.
There are two differences of the double and single ring:
1. The double ring has two ribs (rings) at the top of the handle. The single has one.
2. I have a single ring and don't have a double ring!

Is the one with the thicker head cap considered an old type still, or a new improved? I saw one in an antique store tonight that was ball end and I think maybe was an old, but I have a hard time distinguishing between the old, new and improved, and new, and a hard time dating them.

Hello all, I have a question as well, can anyone tell me if these razor blade banks are correct for this 1905 Double Ring?
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444460333.965422.jpg

Thanks for any input.

Is the one with the thicker head cap considered an old type still, or a new improved? I saw one in an antique store tonight that was ball end and I think maybe was an old, but I have a hard time distinguishing between the old, new and improved, and new, and a hard time dating them.

You can can tell an old type by the curved base plate and the teeth matching the curve. The New Improved has a flat base plate with teeth that point more downward but still has the alignment posts that stick through the base plate. The NEW has a flat base plate as well but no alignment posts. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thank you Brent! I had to acquire a whole Single Ring set a couple of months ago to get those blade banks! I'm glad I did. Thanks again!

Top Bottom