What's new

Double ring parade

Can any of you fine Gents please explain to me what signifies a single/double ring?

I've heard these terms many times before but really have no idea what they are referring to.

I have about 6 sets some with booklets and tickets etc like the above pictures with and without serial numbers but this is the original double ring tin from the very first sets sold with the first blades. I still need one razor blade tin to complete it.

$VeryfirstA.jpg$Proto-13.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, thanks.

Is that 1921-1928 also considered a single ring then? It looks nearly identical to the 1905-1921.

If you look at the head you will see the cap is thicker on the 21'-28'. This is called a 102a.
There are two differences of the double and single ring:
1. The double ring has two ribs (rings) at the top of the handle. The single has one.
2. I have a single ring and don't have a double ring!

Last edited:
There are two differences:
1. The double ring has two ribs (rings) at the top of the handle. The single has one.
2. I have a single ring and don't have a double ring!

I understand that, but are all four of the razors to the right of the double ring in the picture considered a single ring, or just the 1905-1921 razor?

I apologize for hijacking this thread, just looking for some clarity.

I understand that, but are all four of the razors to the right of the double ring in the picture considered a single ring, or just the 1905-1921 razor?

I apologize for hijacking this thread, just looking for some clarity.

No hijacking is involved here. This is the parade so ask away.

As far as I know, I would consider the 21'-28' that is the second from the right a single ring too. The single and double rings are two piece razors (the baseplate is attached to the handle) while the two ballends (the first and third from the right) are just Ball end Old types.

As far as I know, I would consider the 21'-28' that is the second from the right a single ring too. The single and double rings are two piece razors (the baseplate is attached to the handle) while the two ballends (the first and third from the right) are just Ball end Old types.

Thanks for the info!

so you are saying you don't consider the 05-21 a single ring even though gillette introduced them with that name? the razors during
21-28 were released as "old type" the 05-21 is more a single ring than the later ones although the later ones are also considered a single ring.

as far as cracks, mentioned in a previous post, they are normal. not having cracks is hard to find. there wasn't as much precision put into putting the handles together. most of the time the tube was too small in diameter for the base plate porting causing stress cracks. this was happening all the way into the 30's with the NEW.

so you are saying you don't consider the 05-21 a single ring even though gillette introduced them with that name? the razors during

Sorry if I was unclear or misunderstood what was asked.
$150712_130949.jpg
I circled what I would call single rings.
I would consider the 21'-28' that is the second from the right a single ring too.

I used the word "too" to mean "also" as in the 05'-21' "as well as" the 21'-28' two piece are single rings.

Last edited:
so you are saying you don't consider the 05-21 a single ring even though gillette introduced them with that name?

Gillette never used the names Double and Single Ring, collectors invented those names. They also didn't bother advertising what we call Single Ring as a different razor. Gillette called them merely the "Gillette Safety Razor", and only when the New Improved was introduced in 1921 they started calling the older models the "Old Type".

Last edited:
'Splain to me why you fellas call this a two piece when it has three pieces. All of the OLDs are three piece.

Toby,

I think you might be correct. I would consider these a 3-piece razor just like some of the NEWs and Old types where the base plate and top cap unscrew from the handle and make 3 pieces. I consider 2-piece razors like a NEW (#77) or Merkur where the knob twists on the bottom but does not come out of the razor and there is only a top plate. I could be wrong though on my interpretation.

Top Bottom