What's new

Dorco Pace 7 v Gillette 1903/04 Double Ring

I received my Dorco Pace 7 today, the world's FIRST seven blade razor, the (current) pinnacle of modern technology. I've never used more than a twin blade before and was curious, wanting to give this beast a try.

Of course I'm not the first to try the Pace 7 so I wondered how I could make a review different, thus this thread was born!

Dorco Pace 7 vs Gillette 1903/04 (Pat App For) Double Ring. The latest 2015 tech vs the original Gillette safety razor - or at least as close as I can get.

Comparing the packaging first -

proxy.php

Hmmm, think I'm giving this to the Gillette.

The combatants -

Closer look at those seven blades -

Initially I will be using a Personna Lab Blue, my standard test blade, in the Double Ring. These modern blades are thinner and hang out the ends a little. I'm not using a shim as some people do either.

The process will be to shave one half of my face with each - swapping side each morning.

How do they compare? Well you will have to come back in the morning and find out!

Great comparison. Humorous.

Maybe, maybe not!

I am approaching this with an open mind believe it or not. I still use a twin blade cart when I travel and find that the results have improved dramatically since converting to DE. I've never tried a 3/4/5 blade cart let alone a 7 blade so this is whole new territory for me. The older Gillette OCs are also fairly aggressive, partly as they were designed for a thicker blade.

It is feasible that the 7 blades will be smoother - especially with a pivoting head. I'm curious to see how they compare.

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson Duke
Soap/Cream: B&M Roam
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

Both razors are very different to the Weber PH on bulldog handle I've been using most recently!

I started with the DR tentatively and cautiously. I know that these can bite.

The DRs and Old Types generally I don't tend to find a comfortable shave and it is hard to get the angle right. I managed a couple of small nicks, nothing major though.

My left side of the face and around the chin was the DR, right side and under the nose the Dorco. My regular routine is North -> South and then South -> North with a touch up around the jawline.

The Dorco felt something completely different. You are not shaving with a single line of contact in a sharp blade but dragging a blade deck around your face! It actually reminded me of using some of those floor mops with the microfibre towels attached!

I must say though the pivoting head does make it easy with the Dorco. Certainly picking up the two with both as 'new' shaving approaches given their unfamiliarity I'm going to have to give this to the Dorco for ease of use and comfort.

Post shave rubbing against the grain the results for both are s-m-o-o-t-h, great shaves, BUT there are a couple of patches which I missed with the DR. Once again I think I'm going to have to give it to the Dorco.

Beginners luck? Maybe. Tomorrow we will find out more!

Day One Verdict: The Dorco Pace 7

Interesting and thanks for sharing.

I wonder though, at what point there is an advantage to having so many blades. Once the first blade or two have cut the stubble, it would seem like the remaining 5 are just dragging atop the skin.

Carts do seem to offer an advantage with respect to blade angle and I believe many now have flexible or spring mounted blades, which may offer the potential to reduce cuts but would seem to require the application of pressure to effectively cut, depending on beard type and terrain.

Interesting and thanks for sharing.

I wonder though, at what point there is an advantage to having so many blades. Once the first blade or two have cut the stubble, it would seem like the remaining 5 are just dragging atop the skin.

Carts do seem to offer an advantage with respect to blade angle and I believe many now have flexible or spring mounted blades, which may offer the potential to reduce cuts but would seem to require the application of pressure to effectively cut, depending on beard type and terrain.

Yes I'm not sure that I agree with the plethora of blades. The pivoting head is essential I'd suggest with this size of head - it certainly would be the easiest option for a first timer to pick up.

It is always interesting to see these first hand comparisons. Thanks!
The DRs and Old Types generally I don't tend to find a comfortable shave and it is hard to get the angle right. I managed a couple of small nicks, nothing major though.
Of course no comparison can completely get rid of the YEMV (Your Experience May Vary) type of thing. Having shaved with a DE every since I started shaving I don't have that problem. Although I always used a 40's Super Speed until a year or two ago, I don't have any problem finding an angle with the Old Type or any other safety razor. The angle just seems to come naturally, and I don't have a problem with nicks either. So while useful, I don't think any comparison can be completely free of biases and expectations based on experience. So in your case the DEs started out at a disadvantage. Sort of like if you drove manual transmissions all your life, you may tend to prefer them. However automatics are easier to learn and use effectively, and people used to them will prefer them and may never get proficient at manuals. I think that's kind of where the carts like Dorco are; pretty much anyone can use them straight out of the box and get a good shave.

My regular routine is North -> South and then South -> North with a touch up around the jawline.
I tend to do the opposite; go N>S and then S>N. (At least it seems to me that going North > South in the northern hemisphere is going from the nose to the chin, and from the chin to the nose in the southern. :001_smile)

It is always interesting to see these first hand comparisons. Thanks!
Of course no comparison can completely get rid of the YEMV (Your Experience May Vary) type of thing.

Yep, YMMV/YEMV is the caveat on all these sort of comparisons.

Having shaved with a DE every since I started shaving I don't have that problem. Although I always used a 40's Super Speed until a year or two ago, I don't have any problem finding an angle with the Old Type or any other safety razor. The angle just seems to come naturally, and I don't have a problem with nicks either. So while useful, I don't think any comparison can be completely free of biases and expectations based on experience.

I've been DE for a little over 5 years now and have a *fairly* extensive range to pick from (see thread with pictures here) but find that it usually takes a shave or so to adjust to a new razor. The DR is quite different to the Weber polished head on the bulldog handle I've been using for the last couple of months. Using a DR or the other old Gillette which were designed for a thicker blade can have an impact too.

So in your case the DEs started out at a disadvantage. Sort of like if you drove manual transmissions all your life, you may tend to prefer them. However automatics are easier to learn and use effectively, and people used to them will prefer them and may never get proficient at manuals. I think that's kind of where the carts like Dorco are; pretty much anyone can use them straight out of the box and get a good shave.

The Dorco probably has an advantage first up because as you mention straight out of the box they are easier but I must say having never used anything more than a twin blade before the size of the head on this thing took some getting used to. I suspect that this will be reduced as I get re-acquainted with the DR.

I tend to do the opposite; go N>S and then S>N. (At least it seems to me that going North > South in the northern hemisphere is going from the nose to the chin, and from the chin to the nose in the southern. :001_smile)

I using N>S as cheek to neck and S>N as neck up to cheek. This is what I've found works best with my hair growth pattern.

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Le Pere Lucien Natural Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Le Pere Lucien Artisan Aftershave Lotion

Well here we are, day two. The Dorco on the left side of my face and DR on the right.

I mentioned the difference in feel to the Weber Polished Head on Bulldog Handle I'd been using previously for a couple of months. The Weber weighs in north of 80g and has a fairly stout handle. In contrast the DR handle is thin and total weight is 50g. The Dorco is 46g with a weird plastic sculpted handle - altogether different!

I measured the 'blade deck' on the Dorco as well. The seven blades themselves are spread across 5mm but the whole 'deck' is some 15mm. By way of contrast the head cap on the DR is 19mm - but you are not attempting to drag that whole surface across your face!

The result for today. The DR was definitely more 'dialled in' than yesterday. No nicks and post shave rubbing against the grain was s-m-o-o-t-h, great BBS shave.

After the results yesterday with the Dorco I disengaged the brain and just dragged the thing around my face without any attempt at good technique, as I think many users would actually do. Two passes again and no nicks BUT there are a couple of patches which I missed both around the jawline and on the cheeks where I hadn't stretched the skin and been careful to ensure contact. Obviously it slipped here. In fact after typing this I'm going back to finish up.

The LPL Soap and Aftershave are outstanding as usual!

Day Two Verdict: The 1903/04 Double Ring

Very interesting. I get that switching sides deals with the dominate non-dominate hand problems , but I wonder about issues with ingrown hairs as the can take a day or 2 to show up IME. Also I find some razors work great for a day or two, but can be a little rough after several days. Cool experiment though can't wait to see who comes out on top.:thumbup1:

An odd and interesting comparison. Wouldn't a second pass with the Dorco be kind of a 14th pass though? I would think irritation?

LOL - yes it probably would be in part, IF, and that may be a big if, all 7 blades hit the skin on each pass...

I figured that comparison would be rather unique :)

Very interesting. I get that switching sides deals with the dominate non-dominate hand problems , but I wonder about issues with ingrown hairs as the can take a day or 2 to show up IME. Also I find some razors work great for a day or two, but can be a little rough after several days. Cool experiment though can't wait to see who comes out on top.:thumbup1:

I've never had ingrown hairs or major irritation issues even when using carts but admittedly that was only twin blades. My aim is to do a week with these and see how we go.

Mark, you're a Dorco.

Thanks mate - high praise :)

I've never had ingrown hairs or major irritation issues even when using carts but admittedly that was only twin blades. My aim is to do a week with these and see how we go.
Lucky you! My M3 days were horrible (on both the front and back of the neck), admittedly it was probably more do to poor prep and technique and mostly my refusal to change those expensive blades. I still get one every now and then If I try to push a blade a shave or two to far.

I have thought about breaking the M3 back out and seeing what I think of it again, but I just cant bring myself to do it. Even if I use a new DE I somehow feel I'm being ripped off. I just love the vintage stuff now.

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Culmak re-knotted with TGN Finest
Soap/Cream: MdC
Aftershave: Ogallala Bay Rum with Limes and Peppercorn

Back today to the left side of the face and around the chin was the DR, right side and under the nose the Dorco. My regular routine is North -> South and then South -> North with a touch up around the jawline.

Once again with a little attention to detail the DR produced a mighty fine shave. I do confess that I don't find the Old Types as 'comfortable' as the later model Gillette OCs (the NEW and later just feel better on the face IMHO) but with a little care the shave can be excellent.

I gave the Dorco the benefit of my FULL attention this morning. I was trying to use all the care and diligence and good technique that I try to bring to using a DE. it responded, the shave was better than yesterday BUT not 'perfect' having still missed a small patch when i run my hands against the grain post shave. I'm not sure that this is the result of my technique or simply a result of the large surface area of the head, and possibly the pivoting head, making it hard to get the angles for all 7 blades right.

Once again, despite the extra effort on the Dorco I'm giving this one to the DR.

The MdC lived up to its reputation again and the Ogallala - just sublime!

Day Three Verdict: The 1903/04 Double Ring

Soap/Cream: Occams Limes
Aftershave: Captains Choice Limes

Our special guest reviewer today is none other than my 14 year old son. Not a daily shaver, more weekly, but having had experience with a single edge disposable before quickly moving on to the Merkur 38C (which was my first razor). This is his first multi-blade experience.

Being a teenage boy his view are probably more 'concise' than mine -
Looks fancy
Easy to use
Does its job
Results OK
Still prefers a DE
Apart from the last comment that warms his father's heart it is an interesting perspective I think.

It certainly suggests that the visuals of a razor are important. I'd also suggest that the 'Easy to Use', 'Does its job' and 'Results OK' reflect the essential ingredients for a shave for the vast majority of the population. If he had not had experience with a DE that is also certainly where the 'search for a perfect shave' would have ended - stillborn.

He could not articulate why he prefers DE, might be assumed pressure from me!, but it also demonstrates that once there is some proficiency with DE alternatives don't stack up as better.

Day One (for him) Verdict: DE Rules OK!

Soap/Cream: Jabonman Mountain
Aftershave: Old Spice (current formulation)
Razor: Weber Polished Head on Bulldog Handle

OK well I'm getting a little bored so imagine that you are too. It has been suggested that I try the Dorco up against a modern razor - so back to my default Weber.

I must say from the start that after using these light razors the weight of the Weber is noticeable! It is clearly more like the DR than the Dorco but still very different.

As with the last shave I gave the Dorco the benefit of my FULL attention and the shave was good BUT once again not 'perfect' having still missed a small patch when I run my hands against the grain post shave. I'm still not sure that this is the result of my technique or simply a result of the large surface area of the head, and possibly the pivoting head, making it hard to get the angles for all 7 blades right.

In contrast the Weber felt comfortable and familiar from the get go. No pressure, let the weight do the work and a fantastic, close shave.

Day Four Verdict: I'm going with my son - DE Rules OK!

More correctly:

If you want a simple, no fuss shave within the boundaries of acceptable to good, are not prone to irritation as many people seem to be and can afford to keep turning over the carts when they need replacing - a multi-blade cartridge may suit you well.

If you want a better than acceptable to good shave, or are prone to irritation, or don't want to keep throwing the necessary money at carts and are willing to invest a little time to learn how to use a DE properly - you will be rewarded!

Anyway, enough for now, hope you have enjoyed this thread :)

Top Bottom