What's new

Dollar Beard Club

I just signed up last week. It came out to $5.39 ($1 for oil, $4 for shipping, +tax) for the .5 oz of Sandalwood. It's my first time growing out my cheeks and neck. I'll post back once I receive and try it. I don't have any experience with beard oils though, so don't expect much from me :tongue_sm

I'll post back once I receive and try it. I don't have any experience with beard oils though, so don't expect much from me :tongue_sm

No worries, that never stopped me from posting about something I picked up and try. :) Looking forward to your impressions.

I do get bummed when I watch it, though, since I do already know mine doesn't grow in nearly that epic, and never will. lol

That was a great video. It's crazy how there are all these ridiculous subscription boxes these days. There is everything from dressing you with an outfit in a box to getting sent groceries along with a recipe.

proxy.php

That's 1 gallon of beard oil for $12.99 a gallon, or 256 half oz dollar beard bottles of oil. Buying regular old oil from the subscription service would cost $1,379.84 at $5.39 per bottle for 256 bottles (as stated in posts above).

Now, I'm all for free enterprise, but when you're taking commonly obtainable items like clothing, groceries, or regular cooking oil and then reselling it for 1,000 times the cost of said easily obtained item, well, at best that's a bad deal for the consumer.

That was a great video. It's crazy how there are all these ridiculous subscription boxes these days. There is everything from dressing you with an outfit in a box to getting sent groceries along with a recipe.

proxy.php

That's 1 gallon of beard oil for $12.99 a gallon, or 256 half oz dollar beard bottles of oil. Buying regular old oil from the subscription service would cost $1,379.84 at $5.39 per bottle for 256 bottles (as stated in posts above).

Now, I'm all for free enterprise, but when you're taking commonly obtainable items like clothing, groceries, or regular cooking oil and then reselling it for 1,000 times the cost of said easily obtained item, well, at best that's a bad deal for the consumer.

Ingredients

Sweet Almond Oil
Jojoba Oil
Argan Oil
Cedarwood Atlas
Fir Needle

I'm for being frugal, but I don't see anything in the ingredient list that is regular cooking oil, though. Granted, they aren't selling their product at their cost of mixing up a gallon of it, either. I went through and the 2oz sandalwood from them came to $7.99. That is actually less than many other beard oils I looked into trying at various times, and all have similar ingredients lists. Cottonseed oil for a shave oil? Yeah, I'd say that would probably work similar to most of the "special formula" ones. As a beard oil? I'm not convinced it will do the job as well (or maybe at all) compared to the stuff designed for that purpose.

Ingredients

Sweet Almond Oil
Jojoba Oil
Argan Oil
Cedarwood Atlas
Fir Needle

I'm for being frugal, but I don't see anything in the ingredient list that is regular cooking oil, though. Granted, they aren't selling their product at their cost of mixing up a gallon of it, either. I went through and the 2oz sandalwood from them came to $7.99. That is actually less than many other beard oils I looked into trying at various times, and all have similar ingredients lists. Cottonseed oil for a shave oil? Yeah, I'd say that would probably work similar to most of the "special formula" ones. As a beard oil? I'm not convinced it will do the job as well (or maybe at all) compared to the stuff designed for that purpose.

I thought I saw a cottonseed beard oil, but none of the oils bought in volume are that expensive that I know of. If it's something you use a lot of, this seems like a prime DIY candidate since there's no expertise or special process needed to mix oil and add a few drops of essential oil.

I thought I saw a cottonseed beard oil, but none of the oils bought in volume are that expensive that I know of. If it's something you use a lot of, this seems like a prime DIY candidate since there's no expertise or special process needed to mix oil and add a few drops of essential oil.

There is definitely a DYI factor there, if one wants to. The reading I did on beard oils in general said they (at least should be if done well) are formulated to replicate the skins natural oils in PH factor as well as in some other prime factors (I can't recall that those were off the top of my head, but I think you get the idea). Plus some additional properties to get a bit of extra shine, more softening, that sort of thing.

So with a bit of searching and comparing natural skin oil properties, it's PH, and then researching the commonly used beard oil ingredients and ways to get the PH close, as well as what each oil brings in terms of shine, hydration to the skin, softness to the beard, etc., then tinkering with the formula to get decent proportions of each oil one is using, it would be possible to DYI some and have it come out working as well (or better maybe in some cases) than the premixed stuff that can be bought.

I don't mind beards; I wear stubble naturally anyway, since I only shave 2x a week. I would grow a short, full one every once in awhile if my facial hair would actually fill in correctly, but it doesn't.

That said...beards that long age people. Especially a guy like him...that's why I don't get the "1930's appalachia look" when it comes to beards these days.

I don't mind beards; I wear stubble naturally anyway, since I only shave 2x a week. I would grow a short, full one every once in awhile if my facial hair would actually fill in correctly, but it doesn't.

That said...beards that long age people. Especially a guy like him...that's why I don't get the "1930's appalachia look" when it comes to beards these days.

This:
proxy.php

Top Bottom