What's new

does soap ever go bad?

I got so many soaps like stirling that I bought that I have not even used even once. They're still unused being stored away in my little area I keep my shaving stuff in. I was wondering if there are any others on here that are soap hoarders that have bought a lot of shave soaps that they have not even used as of yet because they have so many shave soaps? does this soap go bad at all? I got so many stirling tubs of soap I have not used and I am curious does it ever go bad? you can still use shave soap that you may have bought 2 years ago without any issues right? are there any others on here that have tons of shave soap that they have not used yet that they bought a long time ago? shave soap with last for a very long time right? mainly talking about stirling, barrister mann, mike's etc

Over the years I've had two soaps go bad. TSE, and Cella red, both of which are tallow based. The area where I live, has very hot summers, which may be the contributing factor.

I got so many soaps like stirling that I bought that I have not even used even once. They're still unused being stored away in my little area I keep my shaving stuff in. I was wondering if there are any others on here that are soap hoarders that have bought a lot of shave soaps that they have not even used as of yet because they have so many shave soaps? does this soap go bad at all? I got so many stirling tubs of soap I have not used and I am curious does it ever go bad? you can still use shave soap that you may have bought 2 years ago without any issues right? are there any others on here that have tons of shave soap that they have not used yet that they bought a long time ago? shave soap with last for a very long time right? mainly talking about stirling, barrister mann, mike's etc
In the four and a half years since returning to DE I've yet to have any of my soap go bad. Reserve pucks/tubs are stored wrapped in plastic bags at room temperature in a closet or drawer. Any of my hard pucks (most of my inventory) look at good as new and still have their original scent. My oldest soft soap, a 3 and half year old half used tub of Proraso, will tend to dry out a bit as seen by evidence of separation of the soap from container sides. I've found that occasional loading with a very wet brush can reintroduce moisture that gets it back to normal. The scent on this is still strong. Per posts from others if properly stored most hard pucks should last almost indefinitely with the main risk being scent loss.

My Razorock soft Italian soaps, I've four of them, are too new for evaluation though I've noticed that one soap, my P.160 purchased late last fall, has a lot number implying a mid-2022 manufacturing date. I shows some evidence of drying via separation of the soap from the sides and a much harder texture than the soaps I received a few days ago with a July'23 manufacturing date.

For my soaps/creams that are in rotation, and not in plastic, the main issue is some weakening of the scent over time. Very slowly for products in resealable containers. Pretty rapidly (often weeks) for the three soap I keep in open apothecary mugs. No impact on loading ease or shaving performance.

If you haven't already my one recommendation would be to place your unused soaps in plastic bags. Especially given that a main feature of the many Stirling products is their wide variety of scents.

@EclipseRedRing has the most experience with storage of older soaps and may be able to comment.

I bought some Myrsol soaps on clearance that were clearly old and quite dried and shriveled --- I was refunded, but was able to keep the soaps so I've been experimenting so see if I can get them to rehydrate ... no success so far. I can get them to perform ok, but the scent is totally gone and it takes forever to lather so I'm only fussing about in the interest of science.
I may try grating them, introducing some H20 and pressing them back into puck form.
If all else fails they will become shower soap.

Cella is the only soap I've had go rancid, though it took years. Proraso didn't go rancid, but it got really hard and stopped lathering the same... it never a favorite anyway

Otherwise, no, not in my experience. I have soaps that are 7 years old that haven't gone bad, many of them tallow.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
It will depend on the storage conditions and soap ingredients etc. I think hard, triple milled soaps last longer than softer soaps and creams with a higher water content. The only soap I had which noticably worsened was Cella which went darker in colour and began to smell a bit off even in the relatively cool UK climate. These days my soap rotation includes Shulton Old Spice, Yardley Lavender, and Yardley Black Label, which are all at least 40 years old, and Tabac which is 30+ years old, and they are all excellent although the scent has faded a little in the soaps that have been open the longest. I have soaps in excess of 100 years of age which are perfectly usable - those have not yet been used as they are in my retirement drawer. Keep them cool and if you store them after use then ensure they are completely dry before you do so.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Yes soaps can go bad, particularly soft tallow soaps, I have had a similar experience to everyone else with Cella Red. I have had a hard soap, Muhle Sandalwood, lose its scent on me, though it was very delicately scented to begin with. A good rule of thumb is to use creams first, artisan tallow soaps next and finally hard soaps.
Out of interest how many soaps do you have? Do you have a plan to reduce them? Might I suggest you join the 3017 thread, that was how I started my journey to reduce my own soap stockpile.

A very timely thread for me as I'm tempted to buy another 5- 6 soaps (MDC, Noble Otter, SV, moon soap) which should last me 5 years easy.

Problem is they all look so good. How can I leave them on the shelf?

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
A very timely thread for me as I'm tempted to buy another 5- 6 soaps (MDC, Noble Otter, SV, moon soap) which should last me 5 years easy.

Problem is they all look so good. How can I leave them on the shelf?
Yeah, I struggled with that one, but it was coming to the realisation that I already had years worth of soap hoarded. That, combined with the help of the members on the 3017 thread that finally brought me to my senses. I stopped looking at the websites and concentrated on getting the most out of what I had. There are still soaps I would like to try but I keep putting them off until I use "just one more" soap and that has brought me down to a mere 14. I did try limiting myself to buying 2 or 3 soaps a year but when you only use 5 or 6 a year that slows down your progress. I haven't bought a soap in nearly 15 months though I was gifted a tube of Proraso for Christmas.
Good luck, maybe take a look at the 3017 thread or my own shavers Anonymous Shavers Anonymous (the simple life) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/shavers-anonymous-the-simple-life.651360/post-12636967

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Cella will go bad, but, I have read it is more due to the almond oil than the tallow; I’m not certain. I have never had it happen, but, I once purchased a small tub that was bad.

I speculate that similar soaps would also go bad (i.e. Vitos and Palmira). I keep my surplus vacuum packed and refrigerated or, if it will be a long time before I need them, frozen.

I've had tallow based soaps go rancid (Cella and Stirling). I vacuum seal my stash now and store them in the freezer. This has worked very well. Unopened Cella lasts years just refrigerated.

Reactions: Kix
I found some 5 year old Margaritas MitA by Stirling (1/3 tin) and while a little dry, it was in great shape. I purchased an opened tin of Mike’s Lime off M&M and it smelled like wet dog. I asked here and I think the consensus was the shea butter might turn with age and can give off a strong gamey scent (to my bionic nose). That soap still performed extremely well just like a new tin from Mike.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Sometimes soap does go bad.

bad soap.jpg

Credit to Gary Larson

Legion

Staff member
I've used vintage soap from the thirties and forties. The scent had pretty much gone, but it worked just fine. Actually I'd say that a lot of it lathered better than most modern soaps.

To the ones who’ve had their Cella soaps go bad, did you introduce water to the tub by loading directly from it? Would it be safer to scoop in the case of these more “sensitive” soaps?

My oldest soap that I have is an P160 1kg,which in more than 10 years didn't go bad.
What I did notice is that the scent is almost gone and that it shrank in weight to about 750 grams, from 1kg.

PXL_20240212_143017789.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20240215_144014157.NIGHT.jpg

It doesn't smell rancid or anything.. It has a very faint scent now, but performs quite ok.
In the meanwhile I discovered many new products which are nicer IMO.

Might PIF it at some point, I guess

Top Bottom