What's new

Does Crystal deodorant work as well as alum block for stopping bleeding?

I just ordered RazoRock alum block in round form with the plastic handle. Then I read some of the reviews and one guy said he used Crystal deodorant and that it worked just as well for stopping nicks. I read the product description for the deodorant itself and it mentioned something about containing mineral salts, but it wasn't clear if that was the same kind of alum as RazoRock, the same portion or if it worked well as a blood coagulant. I currently use Proraso styptic gel and I love it, but it's just to expensive. RazoRock alum seems to be quite a bit cheaper, but Crystal deodorant is even cheaper than that, so would it work just as well?

It works for me. I use it mainly for travelling mu shavex alum block is a bit too big to carry around. But I find that it gives more stinging feedback than the alum block.

Well if it was shoved in tight enough, I suppose it would!

[emoji12]

I fixed the title immediately after I noticed the error, which I think was within a minute of the OP. I guess I wasn't fast enough. That just goes to show the importance of proofreading before posting!

It works for me. I use it mainly for travelling mu shavex alum block is a bit too big to carry around. But I find that it gives more stinging feedback than the alum block.

That's what I wanted to know. While browsing I also noticed that the Crystal deodorant comes in one size even smaller than the RazoRock, so that would be even more convenient. Now I'll order a stick of the Crystal and try both out

The Crystal deodorant is ammonium alum and the RazoRock is potassium alum. What I've read about the price difference is that potassium alum traditionally only occurs naturally whereas ammonium alum can be manufactured (although I've also read that potassium alum can be manufactured as well). Also, in some other threads, members have said that potassium alum can be gentler but that they basically do the same job with the same efficacy. Recently I've started using my Crystal as an alum and have had no complaints. Generally speaking I don't find alum (either potassium or ammonium) to completely close up nicks but does give me a nice smooth face-feel.

The Crystal deodorant is ammonium alum and the RazoRock is potassium alum. What I've read about the price difference is that potassium alum traditionally only occurs naturally whereas ammonium alum can be manufactured (although I've also read that potassium alum can be manufactured as well). Also, in some other threads, members have said that potassium alum can be gentler but that they basically do the same job with the same efficacy. Recently I've started using my Crystal as an alum and have had no complaints. Generally speaking I don't find alum (either potassium or ammonium) to completely close up nicks but does give me a nice smooth face-feel.

I have since done more research and found several other products labeled as deodorant that — unlike Crystal — contain potassium alum. Check out this one at lafes.com; I will do that when the RazoRock runs out

I've used the crystal because I've used it for many years as a deodorant so started using our for my face as well. I've not really heard about any major difference between Alum other than Osma, which many say is made better and is denser so lauds longer and doesn't fall apart as easy. It's also 2-3x the cost, so I've stuck to what I know.

Has anyone developed AAD (ALUM AD)? :)

I saw some Alums at Sprouts the other day in the deodorant dept. If you look at alibaba.com they all look alike except for the labels.

If you order a shipping container they will only cost you .20 a piece. LOL

The new formulation of Crystal deodorant is potassium alum, which is the same stuff as shaving alum.

I noticed that soon after. When I looked more closely on Amazon, I saw 2 different packages of Crystal with the same size but different labels — one said ammonium alum and the other was potassium. I'll try whichever one is cheaper when I run out

I just ordered RazoRock alum block in round form with the plastic handle. Then I read some of the reviews and one guy said he used Crystal deodorant and that it worked just as well for stopping nicks. I read the product description for the deodorant itself and it mentioned something about containing mineral salts, but it wasn't clear if that was the same kind of alum as RazoRock, the same portion or if it worked well as a blood coagulant. I currently use Proraso styptic gel and I love it, but it's just to expensive. RazoRock alum seems to be quite a bit cheaper, but Crystal deodorant is even cheaper than that, so would it work just as well?
RazoRock Alum and Crystal deodorant are both potassium alum. No difference except the crystal is easier to hold!

I use a product called Salt of the Earth. I use it when I get through shaving like alum and also as a deodorant. $12.00 on Amazon. Good stuff

Top Bottom