What's new

Does anything write as wet and smooth as a Waterman?

So I'm still getting used to my new pens, having mostly used cheap ballpoints for many years.

Right now I am a Lamy Al-Star and a Waterman Phileas. Both are using their own respective brands of ink, but the Waterman has a cartridge in it, whereas I'm using the converter in the Lamy. Both are medium nibs. When the cartridge in the Phileas runs out, I'll put some ink in the coverter from a bottle of Diamine Sapphire Blue.

I was at my girlfriends place over the weekend and showed her my new pens. She used fountain pens in private school abroad before college, so I was curious about her opinion. She said she much preferred the Waterman because it wrote a lot smoother.

At this point, I like both pens, but I'm not 100% sure if I prefer the drier flow of the Lamy or the wetter flow of the Waterman.

Does anything write like the Waterman? Or do most brands run drier?

Well, that depends I suppose, are we talking steel nib only, a certain price range, only medium nibs, etc.?

If we're talking under $100 and steel, well, I find the new TWSBI vac 700's to run a bit on the dry side, whereas the 540 runs wetter. I find some of the newer Sheaffer pens are wetter writers as well. Your mileage may vary. I also use primarily Medium nibs.

Brian

Well, that depends I suppose, are we talking steel nib only, a certain price range, only medium nibs, etc.?

If we're talking under $100 and steel, well, I find the new TWSBI vac 700's to run a bit on the dry side, whereas the 540 runs wetter. I find some of the newer Sheaffer pens are wetter writers as well. Your mileage may vary. I also use primarily Medium nibs.

Brian

For now, I'd prefer to keep things in the under $100 range, though I've got my eye on a Lamy 2000, but probably wont get one for awhile. I know that gold-nibbed pens pop up occasionally for under $100, but having never tried a gold nib, I really have no idea if it's for me or not.

I think I might be okay with a fine nib, but certainly not a super/extra fine one at this point. Medium would be my preference for now.

On FPN, it was suggested to me that I should try a different ink in the Al-Star as Lamy ink supposedly runs a bit dry. I have a bottle of Diamine ink that I can try and there is a store near me that sells all kinds of inks in different price ranges. Does anyone think that the ink really could make a difference in the Al-Star? Should I have gotten Waterman brand ink instead of Diamine and Lamy?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
For now, I'd prefer to keep things in the under $100 range, though I've got my eye on a Lamy 2000, but probably wont get one for awhile.
Rumor has it that Lamy is going to do a price hike on the 2000, which may prompt me to jump.

on edit: the hike has occurred.

Last edited:

strop

Now half as wise
I have always had good results from Waterman inks. Can't compare though since I've never used Lamy ink.

In the less than $100 range, I would suggeswt looking at the TrueWriter from Levenger. I have 4 and have been very pleased. Classic styling and very dependable. Periodically go on sale, so just subscribe to their preferred customer list.

At this point, I like both pens, but I'm not 100% sure if I prefer the drier flow of the Lamy or the wetter flow of the Waterman.

Watermans are great writing pens. A Le Man 100 with an Extra Fine nib is a thing of joy. However they should not be consider "wet" writers. They are really normal, neither wet or dry. If you want to see an example of a "wet" writer try a Mont Blanc 146 or 149 with a medium or broad nib. Like writing with a tube of toothpaste. As for dry writers Pilot and Nakayas come to mind. A Pilot M90 in Fine is an extremly dry writer but is very smooth and a wonderful landmark pen. Vanishing Points could be considered "dry" writers.

I know everyone on here loves Lamy and I have a few myself but you are really missing out if you don't purchase or at least try Pelikan, Sailor or Pilot pens. If you have the bucks a Nakaya is one of the greatest guilty pleasures in fountain pens.

I will probably buy more pens eventually, and yeah, the Japanese brands and Pelikan are definitely on my radar.

The big bucks pens ($250+) are probably going to be off limits to me though.

Watermans are great writing pens. A Le Man 100 with an Extra Fine nib is a thing of joy. However they should not be consider "wet" writers. They are really normal, neither wet or dry. If you want to see an example of a "wet" writer try a Mont Blanc 146 or 149 with a medium or broad nib. Like writing with a tube of toothpaste. As for dry writers Pilot and Nakayas come to mind. A Pilot M90 in Fine is an extremly dry writer but is very smooth and a wonderful landmark pen. Vanishing Points could be considered "dry" writers.

I know everyone on here loves Lamy and I have a few myself but you are really missing out if you don't purchase or at least try Pelikan, Sailor or Pilot pens. If you have the bucks a Nakaya is one of the greatest guilty pleasures in fountain pens.

Top Bottom