What's new

Does anyone use a meat cleaver?

I tend to just use my largest chef's knife when I'm splitting chicken breasts, but I'm starting to wonder if a meat cleaver should be on my wish list. How does the rest of the Mess Hall go about their heavy cutting?

I use a cleaver for heavy work. I've been looking for an old carbon one but they seem to be hard to find.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I use an old, cheap, SS Chinese cleaver for that. I paid around twelve bucks for it 30 years ago and it will probably outlive my kid. Great for hacking chicken, splitting a tough squash, or chopping spare ribs into bite sized pieces.

I use a cleaver from time to time, if knifework skills are in the groove it can save a lot of time. Usually only take one out during holidays as wife makes a kicken rutabaga and garlic dish.

Another vote for the SS Chinese cleaver.

I use mine for everything, from cutting bones, meat, chicken through to slicing and dicing vegetables.

Picked mine up for a couple of dollars almost 15 years ago now, could use with a regrind as the edge is a little wonky, but it is the energizer bunny of knives, just keeps going and going.

This subject does remind me of a scene from a favorite film of mine.

In the film, "Planet of the Apes," Charleston Heston does what appears to be a great job getting a close shave with some type of sharp knife on the beach. I wonder if someone could actually shave themselves with very very sharp knife. I won't be trying this anytime in the near future. I'll stick to using my DE safety razor.

There was a thread a while back where a guy shaved with an axe. I imagine a knife would be a little easier than that.

econjoe, point well taken! Just weight factor alone would make shaving with a sharp knife almost make sense. I never even considered using an axe to get a close shave. Interesting thought though!

A nice heavy cleaver is invaluable for cracking bones before roasting/browning them and making stock (whack em with the spine).

proxy.php

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I would cring every time the Mrs would use my freshly honed chiefs knife to hack at a chicken, oh the horror......so I picked up a pre loved Meat Cleaver. I did not want to throw a lot of coin at something that only gets used every now and then.
If you stay with using your chiefs knife just use the heel of the knife, as that part does not get used much in day to day cutting.

re shaving with knifes and axes. The main thing is the edge, if it can take and hold a good edge you should be good to go. The rest is just supporting it, or for show if you must.
There are a few videos of shaving with a cleaver, I think it was a B&B member Honed who done them. Murry Carter shaved with a spoon he made.

Last edited:
I have several Chinese meat and vegetable cleavers. It china town I picked up stainless and carbon steel cleavers. I also really like santoku knives because they are more like cleavers. It's just a good shape for a knife. And I have large hands so any knife that keeps my knuckles off the cutting board.

I too have a Chinese cleaver. If I have a lot of cutting or cleaving, I use an old Briddell meat cleaver that my mother used that she got from her parents. Very heavy and goes through bones easily. Makes short work of anything!

Legion

Staff member
I use an old, cheap, SS Chinese cleaver for that. I paid around twelve bucks for it 30 years ago and it will probably outlive my kid. Great for hacking chicken, splitting a tough squash, or chopping spare ribs into bite sized pieces.

Exactly what I do.

$1219111547.jpg
Dexter Traditional S5288 8" stainless steel. After attempting to cut off the ends of turkey legs ala Julia and Jacques Cooking At Home Turkey dinner and ending up with half moon dents in a light cleaver, I knew it was time to upgrade. This did the trick.

A couple tips to those who decide to get a heavy one: A stable cutting surface is a must, it's a lot of weight coming down and you don't want a glancing blow that may end up hitting you. Think about the surface and would it be better to use another cutting board that aesthetically you aren't going to care about. Practice, it takes strength to go through some bones and when it rains down like Thor's hammer you are going to want to hit your intended target. Be careful and if possible have someone around that knows what you are doing. Knife accidents can be bad, a heavy cleaver could cancel Christmas.

I'm a bit confused. I was under the impression that Chinese cleavers were like the chef knives of Asian cooking. Thin blade. Not a heavy piece of metal designed for for cracking bones. That those kinds of cleavers were a different category???

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'm a bit confused. I was under the impression that Chinese cleavers were like the chef knives of Asian cooking. Thin blade. Not a heavy piece of metal designed for for cracking bones. That those kinds of cleavers were a different category???

In general I think you are correct. However folk build to sell so there is a large variety of Chinese cleavers.

If you want to wack bones . . . maybe a Dexter under $50 is what you are looking for.

Top Bottom