What's new

Does anyone know whether...

there is a DE that is currently being produced which is similar to the 40s style Gillette Super Speed? Thanks.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Weishi

Cheap Chinese Gillette Superspeed copy.

But why not just buy a real one, when the price is so similar?

I'd love to get my hands on a '53 Super Speed. Any suggestions and/or leads? Thanks for the reply.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
already done but no hits, hence my question in this thread.

LOL:lol:

You posted that WTB at 8:57 am today, and it's Sunday, so it's not surprising that you don't have any hits yet.

You might have to give it a few days.

Don't give in to the RAD!! Stay the course and get a Gillette instead of an el cheapo knock off.

You'll thank yourself in the long run.

Final year that featured the 40s styling so I figured I could find one of that variety with lower mileage if I aimed for the end of the run. I suppose I should expand my search to include '50-'52 unless anyone has a reason not to.

Any reason for the '53 preference?

Birthyear?

I can see your thought process here, but condition is the key. None of the 40's style Super Speeds are "new" enough to say with any certainty that a '53 will be in better shape than a '47, and the year will have little to do with price.

There is an early version of the razor in question that lacks the notch for using the automatic blade dispenser that commands a premium, but that has to do with rarity, not age or performance.

What are you looking for from this razor? If you want a collectable, as new in the box example, then bring your wallet. If you want a usable razor by itself in nice condition, you can expect to pay less than $30, I'd think. If you are after a shaver, and brassing and blemishes don't matter, you can get one on the cheap.

I might be able to supply one in the latter two categories, if that's what you are after.

I can see your thought process here, but condition is the key. None of the 40's style Super Speeds are "new" enough to say with any certainty that a '53 will be in better shape than a '47, and the year will have little to do with price.

I can testify that the "newness" has nothing to do with the performance.
My 40's SS is finish worn all to high heaven and still shaves like a dream :cool:
Wp

I do appreciate that the age of the razor doesn't necessarily correlate to its condition but all thing being equal I figured it couldn't hurt either. At any rate, I'm actually looking for one to use a a shaver so I think something in your "middle" category (I realize cosmetics don't affect performance but I do appreciate the aesthetics of these vintage beauties and I'd like one that looks nice on my sink countertop) would be what I'm angling for at the moment.

There is an early version of the razor in question that lacks the notch for using the automatic blade dispenser that commands a premium, but that has to do with rarity, not age or performance.

What are you looking for from this razor? If you want a collectable, as new in the box example, then bring your wallet. If you want a usable razor by itself in nice condition, you can expect to pay less than $30, I'd think. If you are after a shaver, and brassing and blemishes don't matter, you can get one on the cheap.

I might be able to supply one in the latter two categories, if that's what you are after.

G

gone down south

At this point, a 2 or 3 year difference over 55+ years is negligible. The condition of a razor is going to depend more on who used it over those years than how long ago it was made.

Jim is one of the pillars of the community, and would be a great source.

If that one doesn't float your boat, PM me.

BTW, would this be a first razor purchase?

Top Bottom