What's new

Does anyone clean their shavette or Artist Club edge by stropping?

I've just started using a Focus R28 Al Slim shavette, and I've got a Kai Captain arriving tomorrow. From prior (like 10 years ago) straight experience, I'm tempted to strop these on linen after each shave to clean and dry the edge. But searching B&B hasn't turned up much on this procedure.

Does anyone do even minimal stropping on replaceable blade straights? Or will it result in edge degradation that outweighs any theoretical benefits?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I use the shavette style format a couple times a month, and treat those blades (Feather Super Pro's) just like the other safety razor blades - hand strop & alcohol dip. Never thought of using one of the real strops - I'd be concerned that the spine on a shavette blade wouldn't lend itself to creating the right angle while stropping with leather, but I don't really know.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I shave with a half-blade shavette about twice a month. After each shave the shavette with blade gets 6 to 8 very light laps on a natural chamois hanging strop. I do the same with my traditional SR blades. So far I have found no noticable deterioration in the edge of my Feather blade. Indeed, it could even be extending the life of the edge.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I am not sure if linen is gentle enough on a delicate edge when being used to clean. That is why I lined one of my linen strops with natural chamois. Easy and cheap to do. A natural goat chamois cost me about USD 4, including delivery from China. I then cut it to size and glued it to the linen using rubber glue.

I have just found this thread. As part of my weekly rotation of straights and kamisori, I still use a cheap Candure swing lock shavette with a half DE blade (my first foray down the rabbit hole of straight shaving when I moved from a Merkur 933CL travel DE razor with an extra handle section to make it longer) and a Böker barberette using a half Dovo long DE blade. I use each of these once per week and before using gently strop using an ordinary leather belt with a coarse side and a smooth side and also palm strop. I have had the same half blades in these razors for a year now and I am still getting a good shave from both. The real hassle with these two types of razor is taking them apart for drying and oiling after each use to prevent rusting of the blade, razor and pivots...which is where a traditional kamisori with a bare metal handle (no covering) wins hands down.

Top Bottom