What's new

Does anybody name or nickname his pipes?

Jus a whimsical thought: I've noticed that I often nickname a pipe. Not all of my collection, not yet anyway, but certain ones. They often have a certain character in their look or the way they feel in hand that calls out for a nickname. Thus:

The recent Georg Jensen black sandblast billiard has 4 gold rings dividing shank from stem; I call it "the captain's pipe."

The Stanwell billiard has 2, so that's "the lieutenant's pipe."

My '80s model 307 Peterson has always been a Sherlock Holmes style pipe to me, even though it wasn't marketed as such back then.

The '80s Savinelli Dry System billiard w/ military mount and lightly arched stem has always been "the Somerset Maugham pipe." Possibly because I was reading Of Human Bondage when I bought it.

Others I refer to by the brand, or by the shop where I bought them, such as the two I picked up at Mr. Jansen's Ye Old Pipe Shoppe in the French Quarter in the later '80s.

How about you?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Jus a whimsical thought: I've noticed that I often nickname a pipe. Not all of my collection, not yet anyway, but certain ones. They often have a certain character in their look or the way they feel in hand that calls out for a nickname. Thus:

The recent Georg Jensen black sandblast billiard has 4 gold rings dividing shank from stem; I call it "the captain's pipe."

The Stanwell billiard has 2, so that's "the lieutenant's pipe."

My '80s model 307 Peterson has always been a Sherlock Holmes style pipe to me, even though it wasn't marketed as such back then.

The '80s Savinelli Dry System billiard w/ military mount and lightly arched stem has always been "the Somerset Maugham pipe." Possibly because I was reading Of Human Bondage when I bought it.

Others I refer to by the brand, or by the shop where I bought them, such as the two I picked up at Mr. Jansen's Ye Old Pipe Shoppe in the French Quarter in the later '80s.

How about you?
I’ve never thought of it. I could never remember their names anyway. I do, however remember my wife’s name and most importantly date of birth.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Just these two. Big Pete and Little Pete, for obvious reasons. Big Pete was my first Peterson, and remained nameless until I got my second Peterson, which was smaller. Little Pete is still an appropriate name, because it's still the smallest. I have other Petersons as big as Big Pete (possibly bigger), but the name has already stuck.

IMG_20210815_225837239.jpg

My kitchen knives are named-some of them... Baby, little guy, enforcer, loaner, veg destroyer, beater, fish slayer.
My pipes are only known by the maker and shape and then what type of pipe weed gets smoked in them. IE Tinsky Oom Paul VA, Buckeye Tomato VaPer, Castillo stubby apple, English, Bones Fire Dance.

Not particularly. I do have a couple that have nicknames for reference on the WAYS thread of the PSD forum. In 2019 there were two choices for the POY. Both were Radice Rind Billiards; one with their faux bamboo shank, the other with a multi-colored wood accent ring at the end of the shank. Those pipes became known, at least to a few of us, as the Fauxboo and the Hippie Band. I find the shorthand more convenient when referring to those pipes in the WAYS thread.
Other than that, I've felt no compulsion to assign names. No better than I am at remembering names, a good plan.

Top Bottom