What's new

Do you soak brand new razors in Barbicide before using them?

No, a good rinse under the tap is all new razors get from me. I don't have a great fear of anything surviving on a metal surface during the days and weeks between a razor being manufactured and it reaching me. A vintage razor is probably just as safe, but I always clean them up to get all the old soap and tarnish off of them, but I don't really think I'm killing a lot of living organisms in the process. For one thing, a lot of the really old razors are silver plated or the plating is largely gone, so you're dealing with brass. Silver and copper alloys are both excellent antimicrobial agents. Even the nickel and chrome plated razors seem safe, as I don't know that any bacteria, etc. can survive more than about 72 hours without an organic host, and most of these vintage razors haven't been used in years or decades. If you're going to start sterilising new razors, you probably should also be doing it for new blades by the same logic.

Exactly my point too @CamberwellCarrot
I do see a point for professional barbers who use razors daily on different people. Then you want a fast and safe way for disinfection of the razor, but for a one time disinfection there's absolutely no idea to use anything else than regular soap, brush and hot water.
And as you point out bacteria will not survive that long on the surface of a dry razor...

only a vintage razor gets any disinfectant, otherwise just soapy water to clean anything that comes my way (razor, brush, bowl)

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I don't use any razors currenlty. But back in the day...new razors I wouldn't do anything with. Just start using them. Vintage/used razors got a boiling water bath and toothpaste scrub. That's it.

A new razor goes straight into use. Cannot see why it needs sterilising before use. A second hand razor is a different and that gets a clean with soap and water and a scrub with toothpaste.

If there was much danger from new DE razors, I think we'd know about it by now. Doesn't hurt, but seems a bit obsessive.

I've shaved with electrics, injectors, carts and DE's for 55 years and have never soaked anything in Barbicide. And yet, here I am, still alive and healthy to the disappointment of many people. Even my grungy old razors from ebay only got cleaned with Scrubbing Bubbles or Dawn and a toothbrush. New DE's, out of the box, just got rinsed and used, like any new cart or injector.

Unless a semi custom stainless steel razor a new one has probably not been touched by human hands. Almost totally automated production. As for used razors I give them a good cleaning with dishwashing liquid, hot water and a tooth brush followed by scrubbing bubbles and if silver plated then probably a treatment with baking soda and aluminum foil to remove silver tarnish. Few pathogens other than Anthrax and Smallpox can survive long term away from a host and cleaning metal razors thoroughly should remove virtually all likely contamination.

Nope, just a hot water rinse. And a scrub with an old toothbrush when I change blades. I'm the only user anyhow. Besides, sharing your personal grooming instruments with someone else - even your spouse - is a really foolish thing to do.

Do what you are comfortable with. However, as many others have said, no Barbicide for me. A new razor gets rinsed under hot water. A used one gets some Scrubbing Bubbles.

Meh, whatever floats yer boat.
If it's something acquired second hand, go nuts with the Scrubbing Bubbles (something I do to my meagre collection at least three times a year, just for the Hell of it).
If it's a newly manufactured, straight out of the box razor, run it under the tap.
That's just me.
Now, those plastic utensils from fast food joints...those disease-ridden pieces of death...they're another story!

Besides, sharing your personal grooming instruments with someone else - even your spouse - is a really foolish thing to do.

That does not worry me in the slightest, my wife and I do and share things more personal than that.

No, I do not sterilize my razors. They are new and the soap all over my face should take care of any issues.

All my vintage razor finds are soaked in Dawn liquid dish detergent and hot water for a bit, then a scrub with a toothbrush and then some metal polish to finish it off and a rinse in plain water. Then I shave with them. With silver plated razors, like the single rings, I'll use aluminum foil, baking soda and almost boiling water. Then the same routine as the others. Both approaches work like a charm. No barbicide used here. I don't think it's necessary.

Have never understood why you should use barbicide or other strong chems when you can use a ordinary hard brush and soap. Pour some boiling water over it and there's no way any bacteria will survive that.
So my answer is no, no strong chems on new razors, nor on old ones either.
Scrub brush, waiting for water to boil...... <--- the hard way
(Who has time for that every day?)

Dunk in Barbicide, no brushing or scrubbing <--- the easy way
(Boom. You're done).

At most I scrub the head with a toothbrush and soap, rinse and soak a few minutes in 91% Isopropyl.

I actually bought a container of Barbicide a while back but have yet to use it on anything.

Top Bottom