What's new

Do You Fly the Flag?

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Put some new bulbs in the fixtures on each side of my garage door. I took a photo looking down my driveway and one looking at my flags. I believe they are well lit.
The 3rd photo is in full darkness but I had taken down my flags because of high winds.
10D1D4AB-023F-4770-BCDB-E0B35E2596C1.jpeg

A8D50298-BF0A-4283-B1AE-185B628CEF69.jpeg

361A45CB-029B-4529-B240-76E1480A8582.jpeg

Busting a dry cleaner’s chops because they won’t clean a flag for free is a bit much. These are generally small family owned businesses
Ever since I was a small child and later on into Boy Scouts in the 60's, Dry Cleaners were proud to clean the flag. No "busting anybody's chops" over it. It was just the way things were done back in the day.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Ever since I was a small child and later on into Boy Scouts in the 60's, Dry Cleaners were proud to clean the flag. No "busting anybody's chops" over it. It was just the way things were done back in the day.
And back then people got paid decently for their labor, unlike now. The average small business can’t afford to not get paid for services rendered. If you are such a patriot, you shouldn’t be complaining about spending a few bucks to clean up a flag. Where’s your patriotism?

And back then people got paid decently for their labor, unlike now. The average small business can’t afford to not get paid for services rendered. If you are such a patriot, you shouldn’t be complaining about spending a few bucks to clean up a flag. Where’s your patriotism?
I simply posted my obeservations from 12 years ago. You feel compelled to argue the point? Feel free to go on without me. You have a fine evening, now, OK?

I would love to be able to fly the Stars and Stripes, but unfortunately I have an HOA with draconian rules. Absolutely nothing can be visible from outside. Can’t even put one in the window. Lesson learned: never, EVER buy into an HOA.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I would love to be able to fly the Stars and Stripes, but unfortunately I have an HOA with draconian rules. Absolutely nothing can be visible from outside. Can’t even put one in the window. Lesson learned: never, EVER buy into an HOA.
Agreed. Whether you want to fly one or not, you should have the choice.

I had the same issue when I lived in Florida. I ended up suing the HOA Board - and winning. I then ran for the Board the next year and won. In AZ we have a HOA - but they don't have any ridiculous rules.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I have a flag mounted on my shed out back. I fly all sorts of flags on it. Stars & Stripes often flies, but my college flag goes up on autumn Saturdays (or during the NCAA hockey tournament), there's a pumpkin flag, a turkey flag, the Easter Bunny shows up every year, as does a Santa flag, etc. Changes all the time. So far in July, for example, an old Hudson's Bay Co flag flew on the 1st for Canada Day, a repro US Civil War Irish Brigade flag was up on the 2nd & 3rd to mark Gettysburg, a 13 star 'Fort Independence' flag for the 4th, and lately a 48 star flag is out there. I love the symmetry of the 48 star flag, and it's the flag I was born under. I have an Irish tricolor but it seldom sees action as it is poor international flag etiquette to fly the flag of any foreign nation by itself- to be correct I'd need to have a US flag next to the Irish flag, on its own right hand side, and I only have the one bracket. I often see Americans who wish to honor their ethnic heritage fly the flag of the 'old country' beneath the US flag on the same pole. I know they mean no disrespect but in vexilology that means the nation represented by the lower flag is in submission to the one on top- that the country is either conquered or occupied by the flag at the top of the pole. So on St Patrick's Day I fly a Leinster flag, which is a gold harp on a green field. The only day I fly the Irish tricolour is Easter Monday, when it replaces the Bunny.

I love flags.

Not outside my house, but I've wanted an old tattered U.S. flag for a long time to hang behind my guitars in my music room. The actual antique flags don't go cheap!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Not outside my house, but I've wanted an old tattered U.S. flag for a long time to hang behind my guitars in my music room. The actual antique flags don't go cheap!

How big David? We replace ours at work when it tatters. I would be happy to send one to you.

6x10

How big David? We replace ours at work when it tatters. I would be happy to send one to you.

Whaaattt!!!

That's so kind of you I can't even get my head around it.

My guitars are on a hanging rail that's about 72" wide, but the flag wouldn't need to be that wide. A flag about 60" wide by whatever corresponding height would be good. If you insist on just giving me one, I'd want to at least cover your shipping cost.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Whaaattt!!!

That's so kind of you I can't even get my head around it.

My guitars are on a hanging rail that's about 72" wide, but the flag wouldn't need to be that wide. A flag about 60" wide by whatever corresponding height would be good. If you insist on just giving me one, I'd want to at least cover your shipping cost.

The flags are 6x10. Is that too big?

I have a flag mounted on my shed out back. I fly all sorts of flags on it. Stars & Stripes often flies, but my college flag goes up on autumn Saturdays (or during the NCAA hockey tournament), there's a pumpkin flag, a turkey flag, the Easter Bunny shows up every year, as does a Santa flag, etc. Changes all the time...

My Grandmother's neighbor had a goose statuette in her front yard which she would decorate with various outfits. If rain was forecast, it would wear a yellow raincoat and rain hat. On Saturdays during football season, it would be in the college team T-shirt. She would dress it as Santa Claus, a leprechaun, pilgrim, Uncle Sam, Abe Lincoln, the Easter bunnie, etc.
I assume she made/tailored all the outfits herself.

I realize this has nothing to do with flags. :laugh:

An HOA may restrict size, number or placement of a US flag, but, since 2005, it is illegal for them to prohibit you from flying the flag:

Top Bottom