What's new

Do You Fly the Flag?

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I fly the U.S. Flag on one side of my garage and the Texas Flag is flown on the other side of my garage. Both are flown 24/7/365 and both are illuminated.
My parents and my brother have flag poles at their home and display the U.S. Flag 24/7/365.
My mother, my father, and my brother are all Army.

I would, but our HOA has banned the flying of any flag's. There is a US Flag in the park the HOA says.
I am looking for a small house where I can park a truck on the dead grass and fly any flag form a rusty flag pole I want and leave a couch on the front porch.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I was going to ask about the flying the flag at night thing ... thought it was not allowed ... but got that answered in the end.

Same here.
24/7 for years
24/7 for years and is lit at night.
I proudly put out my flag at the crack of dawn this morning
I'm a Brit with very little experience of America, but one of the interesting points of view I read recently is that The Flag means more to Americans than to many other nations.

Being Canadian, I don't see the same sort of flag flying as I do in the US. It does seem to be much more of a "USA thing".

Different strokes for different folks. If someone around here wore cowboy boots with his suit to a funeral or bank executives meeting or court ... he'd be seen as eccentric at best. But it's par for the course in Texas, no doubt. That doesn't make one "right" and the other "wrong" ... just regional, cultural differences playing out differently.

I do not fly a flag . Because I don't have the time to do it correctly once I retire I plan to put up a pole . Light it and fly a inclement weather rated flag . For those who are not in the U.S. , the flag is flown not as a piece of fabric. But as a symbol of sacrifice of the men and women who have fought and bled and many times died for our freedoms. The United states is never been perfect but our people strive to always move towards being better weather it be wars or internal battles like the civil rights movement. There are always been Americans who are willing to bleed and die to make our country and world a better place. Those people are what our flag represents

Thanks, that's a very eloquent and succinct explanation for the practice.

The custom is to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on flagstaffs in the open, but it may be displayed at night—if illuminated—to produce a patriotic effect.
24/7/365 and both are illuminated.

People are different from one country to the next. Americans like flying their flag more than other peoples do ... nothing wrong with either approach. Please don't anyone take umbrage when some of us try to analyse the differences.

I am reminded of this incident in a Canadian hockey arena a while ago. When the singer was singing the Star Spangled Banner, part-way through the P.A. system konked out, and wouldn't work. No problem ... the Canadian audience finished the song!

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Used to when I was a homeowner. Now I live in an apartment so, no.

I do always wear a flag lapel pin with my blazers and sport coats, though.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I was going to ask about the flying the flag at night thing ... thought it was not allowed ... but got that answered in the end.

Being Canadian, I don't see the same sort of flag flying as I do in the US. It does seem to be much more of a "USA thing".

Different strokes for different folks. If someone around here wore cowboy boots with his suit to a funeral or bank executives meeting or court ... he'd be seen as eccentric at best. But it's par for the course in Texas, no doubt. That doesn't make one "right" and the other "wrong" ... just regional, cultural differences playing out differently.

Thanks, that's a very eloquent and succinct explanation for the practice.

People are different from one country to the next. Americans like flying their flag more than other peoples do ... nothing wrong with either approach. Please don't anyone take umbrage when some of us try to analyse the differences.

I am reminded of this incident in a Canadian hockey arena a while ago. When the singer was singing the Star Spangled Banner, part-way through the P.A. system konked out, and wouldn't work. No problem ... the Canadian audience finished the song!

That video always gives me goosebumps.

I only fly my flag on days that end in "Y". At least until 3 weeks ago when a bad windstorm finally did my flag in. The stores are starting to reopen here. And this weekend I'll be getting a new one. Until then, my Maryland flag will do.

Oh, I forget who said it, remarking on how you love that we Yanks fly our flag proudly. In Maryland, we do that with our flag too. And put the flag on everything! Water bottles, leggings, shirts, swimsuits, bumper sticker everything.

I only fly my flag on days that end in "Y". At least until 3 weeks ago when a bad windstorm finally did my flag in. The stores are starting to reopen here. And this weekend I'll be getting a new one. Until then, my Maryland flag will do.

Oh, I forget who said it, remarking on how you love that we Yanks fly our flag proudly. In Maryland, we do that with our flag too. And put the flag on everything! Water bottles, leggings, shirts, swimsuits, bumper sticker everything.

Hey, our (Maryland) flag is the coolest state flag out there, period!

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I had to look it up. I cannot say that I had ever seen it.
Wow!
But I am 100% Texan so you know my feelings about which state Flag is the coolest.
But y’all do have a great flag too.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

Woah . . . looks like something to wave at a finish line at a race. I had a lecture once from some cousins from Maryland . . . apparently we are not to say Mary Land but something. . . like . . . and did I learn at all .. Meralind?

That Maryland flag is definitely a cool flag.

According to Wikipedia, in 2001 the North American Vexillological Association ranked it "fourth best in design quality out of the 72 Canadian provincial, U.S. state, and U.S. territory flags ranked." It finished behind the flags of New Mexico, Texas and Quebec respectively.

I'm not sure I agree with these rankings. Calfornia came in 13th, and I think it should have been higher. Maybe not higher than Maryland, though.

Top Bottom