What's new

Do you ever make blind buys?

Do you ever make blind cologne buys?

• No I don't

• Yes I do

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just curious on what percentage of B&B members make blind cologne buys?

I've never been much of a cologne guy. I used to have a good rotation of about 6 colognes. But about 6 months ago I felt the need to try some new stuff. I have been reading reviews and doing searched on the net for scents that I may like. A few of them (blind buys) have been to my liking. And there have been a few that I wish I would have passed on too.

Also does anyone have a place they recomend that you can go to and sample colognes without any sales pressure? When I go to the mall. I like to go there without any cologne and sample a few. But the lady(s) behind the counter seems to get a little pushy wanting me to buy something.:sneaky2:

I blind-buy all the time. Unfortunately, I don't live near anyplace with a decent fragrance selection, (unless I want to smell like an androgynous teenager, that is!) so in my quest for the elusive "ideal fragrance," I usually end up doing internet blind buys. I do a fair bit of research, read reviews and opinions, and buy samples of colognes that I think I'll like. Thus far, I've been lucky. I've bought a couple that really sing to me, a fair number that are good, and just fine for occasional wear/fill a niche, a couple that I'm indifferent about, and only one that I really don't care for. (And it may be growing on me, so I'm glad I have it, even though I'd never wear it in public because it was so off-putting initially to my own nose.) If the fragrance is expensive I'll blind-buy a sample (these aren't exactly economical in a price-per-fluid-ounce way, but better to pay $10-20 and have a small amount for sampling/travel than to pay $200 and find it's really not my cup of tea, I figure.) If the fragrance is pretty cheap on ebay, I'll just blind-buy a full-sized bottle, and worst case I'm out $30 or whatever. Otherwise, when the sample runs out, I'll decide if I like the smell enough to pay for a full bottle.

It's time-consuming and somewhat expensive, but I don't see any other realistic alternative if I want to wear high-quality cologne -in many ways, it's actually better than a store, simply because in a store, you don't have a chance to actually wear the fragrance for a couple of weeks to decide if you like it, and how something smells on a card can often be much different than how it smells on an individual's skin.

I blind buy occasionally, especially internet buys at night after a couple adult beverages ;-) Usually either fairly inexpensive things that have caught my interest but sometimes more expensive scents that have glowing reviews. If all of the reviews at basenotes and here are positive I figure if I don't like it immediately I'll grow into it.

With regards to sampling, I prefer to buy samples - Archerfire, Gary's, houses with sample programs - and try them at home. I find I can't make a real decision until I've worn something a few times. Trying to cut through all of the other smells in a store is tough too. If I do sample in store I usually just spray my wrist (maybe a different scent on each wrist) and leave the store. Can't sample mors than two a day that way and I don't like going to the mall so it's not a great option for me.

I used to but now only for the low priced frags. I learned my lesson and by samples before spring for the big buck items. So I checked yes but only for under $25 like Tabac and Sex Appeal by Jovan.

Over at Basenotes, I've figured out a few people who have very similar tastes to mine.
If I'm buying something relatively expensive, I tend to have a look and see what they thought of it.

But if it's for scents going at bargain prices, I love taking pot luck.
Cheers,
Renato

Bought a bottle of 'Sex Pistols' EDT the other day £4.99, I though what the hell. To me it smells just like the #3 scent from Next here in the UK but at half the price. Kinda dark and warm with a hint of pepper to my nose. YMMV.

Wow, I am blown away by the responses. I've done it maybe once or twice. I'm too picky. If I haven't smelled it first, I'd almost never lay down even $5 for a bottle of anything.

Top Bottom