What's new

Do Safety Razor Better than Mach 3?

I am tired of paying for gratuitously marked up replacement blades found on popular mass market shaving razors (i.e. the Mach 3 or mach 5, and so on).

As it appears a safety razor may be a more economical alternative given the low cost of replacement blades, my question is this:

Do safety razors actually provide a good shaving experience?

With a Mach 3 or similar type razor, I can zoom around my face indiscriminately without fear of cutting myself. With a Mach 3, I could probably shave in under 3 minutes while blindfolded, hanging upside down from my shower curtain rod like a monkey-- and have no fear of cutting myself.

Do safety razors provide a similar experience?

I am interested purely in the performance aspects of a safety razor, and not so much the vintage aesthetic-- or pretending that I am Don Draper from Mad Men.

So what do people think-- Are safety razors an economical alternative to modern mass market razors (i.e. mach 3, mach 5, etc). Can they provide a similar level of fool proof shaving performance?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would certainly not​ call them fool proof, there is a learning curve that I haven't mastered yet. Safety razors are only more economical when you compare blades vs. cartridges. Where they get expensive is when you discover the world of wet shaving with the hundreds of shave soaps/creams and everything else that goes along with our little hobby.

You will certainly need to learn the technique but it isn't hard to learn enough to get a good shave. If you stick to the good cheap shave soaps and creams and don't become a collector like many on this forum it can be very cheap.

For sure not foolproof. There is definitely a bit of learning and technique required. That being said, once you figure it out, you can really fly through a shave. I personally think that they provide a much more comfortable and close shave than a mach 3. And at least for me, it is a much more satisfying experience.

When Gillette priced its products reasonably, I would happily try a new razor they offered. I was unimpressed with the Sensor Excel Triple, and only used the pair of cartridges that came in that one's introductory package. After that, only twin blade cartridges went on that handle.

When the Mach3 came along, I waited before trying it, because it looked so odd to me. I finally bought one and tried using it, but the cartridge kept falling off. I never considered trying anything else they have offered after that.

Fool proof performance? There is always a better fool. Too many variables to declare fool proof shaving for all people. You can definitely figure out your needs though.

You can get an equivalent shave WRT a mach 3 but the shave will now be about beard reduction with 2-3 passes. You never really hear about beard reduction when using the multi-blade razors but that is what you want to do. No free lunch here but there is a technique to using a DE. Don't get into collecting, just shave for utilitarian purpose and you will be set.

With a Mach 3 or similar type razor, I can zoom around my face indiscriminately without fear of cutting myself. With a Mach 3, I could probably shave in under 3 minutes while blindfolded, handing upside down from my shower curtain rod like a monkey-- and have no fear of cutting myself.

If you're looking to get into DE safety razor shaving, you 'might' want to change up your shaving routine (as described above) just a tad. :w00t:

I'm new to the DE shaving world (4mos or so) and from my personal experience I can tell you that there is absolutely NO COMPARISON to cartridge shaving. None. The resulting shaves I've gotten from a safety razor are far away better, smoother, and closer than anything I ever received from a cartridge.

As to whether safety razors provide a 'good shaving experience?' The answer to that one is a hands down 'YES!' Safety razor shaving is, indeed, ALL about the shaving experience. The ritual if you will. I can't recall ever looking forward to shaving when I used cartridges. Now, I look forward to shaving, relishing in the experience, taking my time, and knowing that the end result is not only going to be an amazing shave, but healthier/cleaner looking skin, coupled with just feeling damn good and starting my day off on the right foot!

Now then, are they 'economical?' They 'can' be if you're comparing the cost of cartidges vs. blades. But if you venture into this world, and you end up like most all of us on here, you'll soon learn that there are a host of things you'll want to try in terms of creams, soaps, razors, etc. You might not think you will. Maybe you won't? But my money's on that - if you venture down this road - you'll soon be hooked.

Fool proof shaving? Well, I'd have to say not as fool proof as using a cartridge. BUT, if you practice good technique, solid pre shave prep, and pay attention to what you're doing and not rush things, you shouldn't have any issues whatsoever. Bear in mind that this advice is coming straight from a newb. :thumbup1:

Using a safety razor will never be fool proof. I will never be able to hang from the shower like a monkey blind folded and be able to shave my face and head with a safety razor. Now with that being said. It can be a WAY more economical solution and is much more environmentally friendly. As long as you don't do like a lot of us and start collecting and start lusting after all the amazing products you will save a lot of money. So I would say the upfront cost in the long run is very minimal as long as you keep your eyes on the prize which is to save money. As for the ease of shaving... It is not as fast and fool proof as a cart. Now for me carts have always irritated my skin and when I shave with my safety razor and got my technique down. There is no irritation at all really now. So it all comes down to personal preference and what you want to get in to. My opinion is find some inexpensive products and give it a try. And by give it a try really give it some time to learn the technique and then see if it is for you. And if not. You are not out a whole lot and can go back to what you are doing now. But I know one thing for sure is that making your own lather makes a HUGE difference even when shaving with a cart. So anyways good luck!!

Thank you good sir!

I'm not sure that double edge razor shaving is fool proof but I think I got lucky and got a great shave the first time I used a double edge to shave, I did do a ton of research and watched a number of vids on YouTube before jumping into it. I never did get great shaves from disposable cartridge razors which is why I made the switch. I now get much better shaves at a fraction of the price. A good soap and brush will help you achieve better results also.

Last edited:
If you're looking to get what we call around here a "BBS" shave (baby's butt smooth) in under three minutes while half asleep in the shower, DE may not be for you. However, if you want to save money on blades, and are willing to invest a little more time and effort into developing the necessary technique, you may well find you can get better shaves with a DE than you ever could with the Mach3/Fusion stuff. At least, that's been the case for me.

I will add as well that I do experience a slightly quicker grow back in stubble, by a couple hours anyway. But that being said, I believe that is why the DE is better suited to me. It shaves just as close, but with a little less irritation from just digging right in there in a single pass. When I used the Sensor or TracII, I think that going right for it and digging down like the blades do is where all my ingrown's and redness were coming from. And besides, now I enjoy a shave!

I am tired of paying for gratuitously marked up replacement blades found on popular mass market shaving razors (i.e. the Mach 3 or mach 5, and so on).

You sound like me. I got so tired of terrible shaves at exorbitant prices that I sought a better way!

Do safety razors actually provide a good shaving experience?

I started on my 52 birthday, back in February of this year. My very first shave, after spending many hours on this forum reading the various posts, was as easy as pouring a bowl of cereal and adding milk. I took my time, didn't put any pressure on the blade and heard my Merkur HD "sing to me" as it mowed down my two day stubble. My GF watched and was amazed at how effortlessly a single blade could cut my beard. After three passes and several touch ups, my face was baby butt smooth and nick/cut free.

I look forward to shaving in the morning. Sometimes I will shave twice a day, because I like that BBS feeling on my face. Forget about trying to shave in 3 minutes or less! Take some time and pamper yourself. Women do it all the time. It's something that we as men need to focus a bit more on; UNPLUG FROM THE GRID and enjoy 10 or 15 minutes of pure ecstasy as you clean your face of any beard/stubble. It's how the men in our family shaved before we were born.

DE's will provide you with the best shaving experience (outside of going to a London Barber and getting a shave) in your life. It is a wonderful feeling to whip up some shaving cream/soap, brush it across your face, place a brand new, razor sharp blade in your trusty DE and shave away. Your wife, GF or SO will be amazed, intrigued and genuinely happy that you have found a new way to shave.

So what do people think-- Are safety razors an economical alternative to modern mass market razors (i.e. mach 3, mach 5, etc). Can they provide a similar level of fool proof shaving performance?

Absolutely, YES. I currently own two razors; a Merkur HD and just received a Weber SS. I now have three brushes, all Simpsons; Berkeley 46, Duke 2 and Chubby 2 all in Best Badger. I primarily use soap; Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF) or Cella, but I have four new creams on the way; GFT Coconut, Lime, Violet and Sandalwood. My blades are Feathers, Personna Labs and some others that I am experimenting with. I'd say I have about $600 tied up so far in my shaving equipment, with the bulk of it in hardware (razors and brushes). I'm done buying anymore hardware. In fact, I didn't even need the Weber SS as my Merkur HD is a FANTASTIC first razor and everyday razor. I bought it to support a US company, it was stainless steel and I had heard so many great things about the razor.

I started off with the Duke 2 and it is a fine brush. Used it everyday and travel with it. The Chubby 2 is a luxury brush that I will probably use only on the weekends to pamper myself. The Berkeley 46 was bought to alternate with the Duke 2 during the week to help keep both brushes in tip top condition and to allow them to dry out a bit more thoroughly between shaves. Didn't need the new brushes, but like I said, I wanted to pamper myself and bring in a rotation brush.

Now, here's where it really gets good as far as economics go: the razor blades are dirt cheap if you search the internet and buy in bulk. I can buy 100 Personna Labs for about $13 or $14. Even if I only get 3 great shaves from each blade, that's about $0.04 per shave! No way can a cartridge or disposable come close to that. And I am getting better shaves using a DE.

Soaps will last a long, long time. MWF and Cella are two that are great performers and very economical to use in the long run. They might end up being slightly more expensive than say the Original Barbasol that I used, but they are much, much better than anything coming our of an aerosol can.

Trust me on this: if you are serious about getting a better shave at a more affordable price, look no farther than DE's or straights. In the long run, you will save money, enjoy the best shaving experience of your life and make that SO take notice of your BBS face.

Good luck to you and welcome to the fold.

+1 for this. Should only take you 3-4 weeks to develop reliable, repeatable consistent shave routine. Every DE shave will exceed the cart shave you are now experiencing.

For sure not foolproof. There is definitely a bit of learning and technique required. That being said, once you figure it out, you can really fly through a shave. I personally think that they provide a much more comfortable and close shave than a mach 3. And at least for me, it is a much more satisfying experience.

To me everything about the DE experience is better than cartridges. But it won't happen in 3 minutes. I don't mind that I take 15-20 minutes to shave now because I enjoy it. But if the time sounds bad to you then you might want to look for a more economical cartridge razor.

It is a heck of a lot cheaper if you don't get an enormous variety of creams, soaps, razors, brushes, et al.

I routinely get a better shave than I did with a cart in five minutes if I have to. It is not 'foolproof' in that you cannot get perfect results with no practice. Or while holding your steering wheel with one hand and not looking in the mirror as you shave while shooting down the highway at 70 mph, listening to a thoughtful piece on NPR as you aggressively negotiate traffic.

But heck, something cheap that you would be hard pressed to screw up is the goal, and you want to shave really fast while upside down, Dorco makes cheap cartridges!

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?
Practice. Practice. Practice.

Stick with it and you'll get the hang of it, with a very healthy dose of wisdom given courtesy of the wise brethren here at B&B. I had a face that looked like Frankenstein's monster following the first couple of weeks of wetshaving (pitchforks and torches were being gathered in my neighborhood), but after sifting through the advice/suggestions/tips here, I improved my technique. I wouldn't say "perfected" since there's always room for improvement. Is there a fool proof method? Excepting the patented Marco's Method, probably not. That's where the practicing comes into play. At the beginning, I had savage looking cuts and gashes...at the beginning.
Speed in shaving? Ha ha ha...fugedaboutit. As for cash savings, well that's up to you and your personal God...in my case, my wifely unit. After a while of ridiculous shopping you'll settle on what works for you.
Unfortunately for most of us that search for what works never ends!

I feel like I can answer after having just switched from years of Mach 3 use to a DE a couple months ago. I've never watched Mad Men though, so can't help you there.

Can you shave as fast with a DE as the Mach 3? No. I'm getting pretty quick, but it does take slightly longer. As far as cutting myself, that's pretty much a wash. I really never had problems with cuts.

As far as the ritual part of it, you can be as minimal or overboard as you want. I personally don't usually use many products (Don't use preshave and don't usually use aftershave. 80% of the time I just use a cheap puck of soap in a coffee mug. And God forbid, no floral scents.) so for me it doesn't take long. Some of our brethren on here prefer to use more products and change it up alot, and hey that's great too. Once you buy a razor, as long as you don't get AD, shaving is really cheap. I paid $11 for a 100 pack of Astra blades, and that's at least a year's worth for me. Shaving soap is $1 every couple months.

And lastly, as far as the performance aspect, I do get better shaves. I could get a great shave with the Mach 3 as well, but with the DE razor, I don't get the irritation on my neck or ingrown hairs anymore. That's where it's worth it for me. It does take a little practice, but I didn't find that it took me more than 1 or 2 shaves to get it down. They are called safety razors after all.

In short, yes but it may take a little while. I wasn't completely convinced until about 2 months in, and there was continual improvement for another 6 months after that. It takes a while to get your technique figured out sometimes.

+100000 to what everyone here said. You might get to where you can get a two pass shave in less than 10 minutes but it will take a bit to a lot of practice. Lower cost? Maybe not for the first few months until you find what works for YOU.

Top Bottom