What's new

Do I need a scuttle?

I have a scuttle but I rarely use it. Sure it's nice to have it there but I mainly face lather and cold water shave too, so I haven't reached for mine for quite some time now.

There is nothing more enjoyable on a cold day than a warm scuttle.
errrrr...I have to.... Correction: "There is nothing more enjoyable on a cold day than a beautiful woman in a warm bed with no need to get out off it."
But, after that, you absolutely have it marked.

I used to use a scuttle most of the time. For certain soaps, the warm heat helps soften added butters and oils and helps create a very creamy lather. On others, I think if you use really hot water, the extra heat actually over-thins the soap. Practice and experience are the best guides. I have been using a bunch of soaps lately that do just fine in a regular bowl. I have a thick wild Italian beard but I no longer face lather because I always try for a 4 pass BBS shave and I can control lather generation, consistency, and volume better by bowl lathering where I have enough quality lather on pass number 4 as number 1. But I still like my Robert's Feats of Clay #4 scuttle and break it out whenever I have a little extra time.

I just use a ceramic bowl ( between 2 and 3 inches high) to make the lather that I can set in my sink full of hot water while shaving. It works great to keep the lather warm, and not "melt the lather" like I've experienced with scuttles. It is less expensive and less bulky than a scuttle, and works just as well for me.

Your post reminded me, I saw these a while back in store and thought they would make a great lather bowl, around $4...

Latte Bowl | Sur La Table

I have one of those and really like it. It is maybe a bit big. But it works fine and looks really good.

I'm considering going back to Sur la Table and getting this mug. It's diameter is slightly smaller; 5" instead of 5.75" and the handle might be nice when holding it.

: Sur La Table Latte Mug | Sur La Table
proxy.php

Scuttle seems like a waste of time to me. My bathroom has hot water already and I see no difference in warm or cool lather - works the same either way plus it's only on my face for a few minutes before being removed with a razor. Not much time to pontificate on the lather temperature (rather I focus on the mechanics of the shave) and then gauge the perceived increase/decrease in overall experience.

Something else to fuss with, but if warm lather makes your day then go for it. It's your shave.

I like the idea of a nice scuttle to keep my lather warm, but I'm not sure if the space and the expense is worth it.
To me, it is worth the experience.

When it comes to scuttles, I ask the same question of vintage razors. Why bother when there are plenty of good razors out by many different manufacturers. Some will say that a vintage shaves better and that is possible but what a vintage razor can give you that a new one cannot is the experience of using something that is rather old, been around the block a bit and has some history possibly tied to it.

When I use a scuttle, even a new one, I think of time long gone by where this was how a hot shave was done. It is a way to connect with the time gone by. Sure, I enjoy the warm lather but I have been enjoying the experience of it all even more.

your experiences may vary but in the end, we all enjoy them...

To me, it is worth the experience.

When it comes to scuttles, I ask the same question of vintage razors. Why bother when there are plenty of good razors out by many different manufacturers. Some will say that a vintage shaves better and that is possible but what a vintage razor can give you that a new one cannot is the experience of using something that is rather old, been around the block a bit and has some history possibly tied to it.

When I use a scuttle, even a new one, I think of time long gone by where this was how a hot shave was done. It is a way to connect with the time gone by. Sure, I enjoy the warm lather but I have been enjoying the experience of it all even more.

your experiences may vary but in the end, we all enjoy them...
That is definitely the direction I'm leaning. Now I need to add another item to my shaving wish list :)

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I was at World Market yesterday and spied at least a dozen bowls, both decorative and utilitarian, that I thought would make great lather bowls. Prices ranged from $2-$10. Might want to check them out if you have a store in your area...

Scuttle seems like a waste of time to me. My bathroom has hot water already and I see no difference in warm or cool lather - works the same either way plus it's only on my face for a few minutes before being removed with a razor. Not much time to pontificate on the lather temperature (rather I focus on the mechanics of the shave) and then gauge the perceived increase/decrease in overall experience.

Something else to fuss with, but if warm lather makes your day then go for it. It's your shave.
For some reason while I read that I had an image of a grumpy old man. "I have no need for your fancy razors and flower smelling soaps. Back in my day we just sharpened a pitchfork and shaved while we worked in the fields. If it was at night we would sit too close to the fire and let the flames singe off our whiskers. And we liked it!" :jump:

For some reason while I read that I had an image of a grumpy old man. "I have no need for your fancy razors and flower smelling soaps. Back in my day we just sharpened a pitchfork and shaved while we worked in the fields. If it was at night we would sit too close to the fire and let the flames singe off our whiskers. And we liked it!" :jump:

No too far from the truth! :001_cool:

Nobody needs a scuttle. It does, however, make a great shave all the more luxurious. It's not only great for warm lather in the cool months, but also ice water lathers in the scorching summer months. Why deprive yourself of daily luxury like that? The cost of a scuttle over a lifetime of shaves is negligible, probably less money than most folks lose over the course of their adult lives. Or at the very least, certainly less than one wastes on frivolous wants.

You don't need a scuttle in the same was you don't strictly need a Porsche .... nice to have but.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom