What's new

Do I need a scuttle?

I recently managed to duplicate the results from a YouTube video with my Proraso (white). There's truly nothing like being able to work up a good lather!

My bowl, however, is tiny (about 3in wide) and does not allow that much room for working the lather.

I imagine a scuttle making things easier, but they look pricey, fragile and rather large (for my bathroom sink at least).

Are there any other options out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shavefan

I’m not a fan
IMO, no. There's lots of options from plastic food containers, glass food containers, or random 5" stainless steel/ceramic bowls. All can be had for pennies, or at the most $3-$4. I've never owned a "scuttle" and have no issues bowl lathering in any of the above options. They dont look pretty but they work just as well IMO.

Example....75 Qt. Standard Weight Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl

Good luck!

No, I have never used a scuttle, nor do I want to since I shave with cold water. I am happy I got a nice lather bowl from Captain's Choice, but that is still a luxury and not a necessity. Any of the options already given will suffice. I will say, from my experience, the wider the bowl the better.

No one needs a scuttle, there are plenty of alternatives. Having said that though, I do enjoy the warm (not hot) lather I create with mine. Using the scuttle adds to the experience IMHO, but one can live without it. I don't use one when traveling, for example and still get good shaves.

I recently managed to duplicate the results from a YouTube video with my Proraso (white). There's truly nothing like being able to work up a good lather!

My bowl, however, is tiny (about 3in wide) and does not allow that much room for working the lather.

I imagine a scuttle making things easier, but they look pricey, fragile and rather large (for my bathroom sink at least).

Are there any other options out there?

No. Scuttles have to be one of the most unnecessary items anyone could purchase, what with the hot and cold running water and such. I regret to this day that I ever bought one.

I've never felt the need for a scuttle but Captain's Choice makes some very nice looking lather bowls that get great reviews. I bought and still use one of the Fine Accouterments lather bowls. Both are similarly priced and the Fine bowl works great.
There is also face lathering...

No have you tried face lathering?

I have an Arko stick, but my game is still hit and miss. :001_07: I've had good results before, but this morning I was in a big hurry and tried to face lather to save time. It was one of my worst shaves to date. :angry: Thankfully no injuries, but no results either. The stick saves steps, but I find it still takes time to dial in the right amount of water.

I use a a bowl I pick up from Goodwill for a $1 ...
IMG_0134.JPG

The base works great to hold on. I'll be going to the asian restaurant distributer store soon and let you know what I get. (I've since then restored the brush)

No you don't need one. If you want to bowl lather and want something nice to lather in. Look at the Fine bowl or Capt Choice bowl. I prefer the capt choice one. But I now face lather 90% of the time. Much easier.

No you don't need one. If you want to bowl lather and want something nice to lather in. Look at the Fine bowl or Capt Choice bowl. I prefer the capt choice one. But I now face lather 90% of the time. Much easier.

There's the Turkish hammered copper/tin bowls you can pickup on eBay for $10. Nice thing about these is if you drop it, no big deal. Somebody here was using a Chinese takeout bowl that worked pretty good and it was kind of free.

I have an Arko stick, but my game is still hit and miss. :001_07: I've had good results before, but this morning I was in a big hurry and tried to face lather to save time. It was one of my worst shaves to date. :angry: Thankfully no injuries, but no results either. The stick saves steps, but I find it still takes time to dial in the right amount of water.

I don't like doing it that way either.
I have smooched my Arco into a container and load my as I would any other soap. For me it is much better.

I find Proraso bowl lathered to perfection isn't as good as that same soap face lathered. Load your plush in the same way and build the lather in your face. I find Proraso is much slicker.

It is not necessary but it adds to the fun for me. I have a Georgetown Pottery scuttle. It is both beautiful and functional. It heats the lather and can Cool the lather if you use hot or cold water. For me, this scuttle has ridges and helps to whip the lather. It also has a plug to prevent the inner water from pouring out.

To me, it adds to the enjoyment.

I understand it's all part of routine to whip up some lather with a really cool brush and a bowl or scuttle. Many people really get into that and I get it.

But I face lather exclusively and the best soaps to face lather with are Proraso using a nice boar brush such as an Omega 10083. Just my .02 and humble opinion.

Top Bottom