What's new

Do Beards take away the shaving fun?

I had gotten into shaving with a Merkur Classic Long Handle DE and a Badger brush for a long time. I eventually grew a short beard and now only need to shave my neck and a little on each cheek. I don't seem to take the time to lather any more like I used to.

So my question is anybody have a beard and still enjoy shaving?

Absolutely NOT! I shave my neck, checks, and my "dome." Shaping the contours of the check lines presents something of a daily challenge to ensure only the hairs you want culled are in fact shaved off. As with many who are bald there are a few rebellious hairs that refused to follow the crowd and require attention. All in all, as with full shaving, good preps, great lather, and a controlled sharp edge are needed for the daily task :)

Retired Navy with a beard that dates to the mid-70s save a few years where I went bare cheeked.

I have a beard at the moment and shave the same areas you do and I found it Helps you get Good at shaving your neck. I consider shaving my beard all the time but haven't done it yet, I do feel like I'm missing out though.

To me it just feels like a waste to get my brush out and do all the prep work for a small area of shaving. I either use a non-brush shaving cream or just water to shave. I used to really enjoy shaving. Maybe it also has to do with having 2 children now, which translates into having less time for everything.

I have a full beard and shave my neck and cheeks daily (occasionally twice in one day just for the fun of it). I really enjoy shaving (especially using my Simpson Major to "face" lather the areas to be shaved).

In fact, I enjoy DE/wet shaving shaving so much, I have even been toying with the idea of shaving my beard just so I can have more to shave!

My beard type..VERY coarse wont let me comfortably grow anything and keep it more than 2 months...itch it til it falls. :001_rolle

Shaved my 20cm+ "goatee" learn how to shave the chin area. I'd say it's about the same if the beard isnt too long, it's hard to rinse the face or see anything on the neck area with a long beard... Rinsing without squeezing the water out results in a pool under your feet and i had to keep pulling my beard in weird directions to have the possibility of seeing something, even with a few ponytails on it. :letterk1:

I'd say it's just as enjoyable, but YMMV.

Shaved my 20cm+ "goatee" learn how to shave the chin area. I'd say it's about the same if the beard isnt too long, it's hard to rinse the face or see anything on the neck area with a long beard... Rinsing without squeezing the water out results in a pool under your feet and i had to keep pulling my beard in weird directions to have the possibility of seeing something, even with a few ponytails on it. :letterk1:

I'd say it's just as enjoyable, but YMMV.

I miss my plaited beard :(

I don't find having a beard makes shaving less enjoyable, it's more of a challenge as you've gotta keep it neat/symmetrical

You bet.

Shaving with a DE is fun, but it is still shaving. The healthiest, happiest part of my face never sees a razor and thus never suffers razor burn nor costs me time in the morning!

I have a beard for about 6 months a year... was also worried about this. Glad to know in January I can stay warm and still enjoy a good (albeit reduced) shave!

I have a full, but short beard and love traditional shaving. I have had a beard since I was 18, and every other shaving style or product has given me terrible irratation. Plus I find the DE gives me a lot cleaner lines in my beard than a mach3.

Prior to DE shaving I wore a beard because I hated shaving. Once discovered my beard became cleaner as my shave area grew. I needed more to shave so the beard became a goatee. I still needed more surface to shave so that went too. I have too much fun shaving to let it come back. No regrets.

I have a beard as indicated in my avatar pic, and I still 100% enjoy shaving, I still shave my neck and underside of my chin and my cheeks, and it takes a lot of effort to keep the beard and not accidentally make it uneven or hack off bits of long growth. I do find it a challange to always grab the beard and move it out of the way so that I can get a better view of my neck areas... but the beard hasn't reduced my joy in lathering or shaving in any way shape or form. And I dont see myself losing the beard anytime soon.... I've seen pictures of me without and I look really strange without hair on my chin.

I have a full beard and shave my neck and cheeks daily (occasionally twice in one day just for the fun of it).
+1 - That was me when I started out DE shaving over a year ago. I had been hacking at the edges of the beard a couple of times each week, but then went to daily shaves.
In fact, I enjoy DE/wet shaving shaving so much, I have even been toying with the idea of shaving my beard just so I can have more to shave!
+1 - That is exactly why I went from a full beard to a Van Dyke last spring and to clean shaven for that summer. The Van Dyke came back after Labor Day and I let the sideburns grow in to make a full beard after Halloween.

I love my full beard and don't plan on ever shaving it. I also love wetshaving. The two are compatible to me because I use a DE to shape the bottom line like I want it.

I have a full beard and shave my neck and cheeks daily (occasionally twice in one day just for the fun of it). I really enjoy shaving (especially using my Simpson Major to "face" lather the areas to be shaved).

This^ I actually just shaved my whole beard off Friday night. It was great finally getting to shave my whole face, but it didn't turn out that great in the end. I got a little over enthusiastic and ended up doing probably 4 or 5 passes on a face that hasn't been shaved in about 4 years. I ended up with a hell of a lot of razor burn, but my face was awesome! That being said, I have shaved once since and am back to trimming back from my old beard.

Top Bottom