What's new

Do all creams & soaps break down whisker strength?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I found a badger hair in my tub of Santa Maria Novella shave cream the other day that was in there for at least a week, since it wasn't there on the previous use. When I removed it I noticed that it was rather limp and discovered that it pulled apart very, very easily.

I am not sure I am up to doing a lab experiment, but it would be neat to see how different lathering products break down hair and how long it takes. I left my shave cream on for a good 5 minutes this morning, then reworked the lather with fresh lather from the brush. It was a very good shave, but I am not sure if it was noticeably better than any other shave with a good prep.

Just curious what others think.

Aha! Finally a use for the beard hair I'm going to shave off in the middle of December! I like how you think!

I've thought for a while that it would be a great idea to get hairs and subject them to different products, photographing the results through a microscope. A lot of things are repeated about what heat, moisture, and acidity do to hairs, and it'd be great to visually observe whether or not hairs actually roughen, plump, etc.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I've thought for a while that it would be a great idea to get hairs and subject them to different products, photographing the results through a microscope. A lot of things are repeated about what heat, moisture, and acidity do to hairs, and it'd be great to visually observe whether or not hairs actually roughen, plump, etc.

I don't have a microscope. It would be nice to see the changes after 1, 3, 5, 10 etc. minute intervals.

This is the kind of thread that that makes my :o13:shake her head and walk away in shame realizing that she did indeed, settle. Me...I like the idea of 20-30 containers with 3 hairs in each one laying around the bathroom counter!

Hair can't absorb anything can it? It is just dead cells. That is why all the vitamen enriched shampoos are bogus.

The keratin matrix of hair can absorb quite a bit. "Wet hair" is not simply wet on the surface, but has absorbed water. Yes, the vitamin-enriched shampoos are bogus, but because vitamins do nothing for dead cells, not because they can't enter the dead cells.

I found a badger hair in my tub of Santa Maria Novella shave cream the other day that was in there for at least a week, since it wasn't there on the previous use. When I removed it I noticed that it was rather limp and discovered that it pulled apart very, very easily.

I am not sure I am up to doing a lab experiment, but it would be neat to see how different lathering products break down hair and how long it takes. I left my shave cream on for a good 5 minutes this morning, then reworked the lather with fresh lather from the brush. It was a very good shave, but I am not sure if it was noticeably better than any other shave with a good prep.

Just curious what others think.

I find that the more prep I do the better my shave. If I have time, I lather up with some Prosaro shave cream (not the pre/post), get in a hot shower and wash the lather off after about 5 minutes. Then I use St. Ives apricot scrub and a facial cleanser. Sometimes I'll apply a hair conditioner to my beard. After all that it's the usual hot water brush soak and lather routine. I also use a pre-save oil. On days I do all that I usually get a much smoother and more comfortable shave.

Top Bottom